Gransnet forums

News & politics

"Systemic failures of leadership, planning and preparation"

(12 Posts)
DaisyAnne Wed 25-May-22 12:26:04

No, not a quote from the Sue Gray Report although it echoes what she has been saying. The heading of this report, released yesterday, continues "MPs slam Government role in UK withdrawal from Afghanistan". The report goes on to highlight:

*Fundamental lack of planning, grip or leadership at a time of national emergency
*No clear line of command within political leadership of Government; untraceable and unaccountable political interventions
*Total absence of plans to evacuate Afghans who supported the UK mission without being directly employed, put lives at risk
*Committee loses confidence in Foreign Office’s top civil servant and urges him to consider his position

It all sounds so familiar when it comes to the management abilities of this government. Once again we see the awful result of an inability to organise, once again lives were lost that simply didn't need to be.

Source and full report

OakDryad Wed 25-May-22 12:32:09

A couple of threads started about this yesterday which didn't gain much traction. Overshadowed by parties in Downing Street. Tugendhat and his team have done sterling work on this.

www.gransnet.com/forums/news_and_politics/1310810-Missing-in-action-UK-leadership-withdrawal-from-Afghanistan

Katie59 Wed 25-May-22 12:54:25

I don’t attach too much blame for Afghanistan Withdrawal a plan was agreed to evacuate in an orderly manner but the President fled the country and Taliban did not allow that. Maybe it could have been anticipated, it probably would not have made any difference, it was always going to be chaos.

Lack of PPE at the beginning of Covid was ignoring their own emergency recommendations, a UK wide emergency exercise was carried out 2 yrs before, lack of PPE was highlighted but nothing was done, that undoubtedly cost billions and thousands of lives

Germanshepherdsmum Wed 25-May-22 13:04:59

The sudden withdrawal from Afghanistan was thrust upon us by Biden. And we had trained the Afghan army but they didn’t fight, they ran. What a difference between them and the Ukrainian army with its many civilian volunteers and conscripts.

DaisyAnne Wed 25-May-22 13:14:57

My apologies to those whose threads I didn't spot and thanks for the heads up OldDryad.

It's no surprise that Tugendhat et al. did such a good job. I don't agree with his politics. However, he shows himself as a person of honour and honesty. There are many such people of all political hues in Parliament. We should never let ourselves be tricked into believing the opposite is true. Such a pity that the same isn't true for those supposed to lead in Government.

I do congratulate them on their report and hope something comes of it.

OakDryad Wed 25-May-22 13:25:12

I see the betting odds for next PM shows Liz Truss (please no) a few points ahead of neck and neck Wallace, Hunt and Tugendhat. Raab not even on the leaderboard and rightly so after the Afghan debacle.

annodomini Wed 25-May-22 13:46:28

The only thing that can be said of any of those potential candidates - even Truss - is that they're not Boris Johnson.

Katie59 Wed 25-May-22 15:15:21

OakDryad

I see the betting odds for next PM shows Liz Truss (please no) a few points ahead of neck and neck Wallace, Hunt and Tugendhat. Raab not even on the leaderboard and rightly so after the Afghan debacle.

Liz Truss is about as inspiring as Starmer, please no, the real candidates are keeping their heads down, while the current storms pass.

Casdon Wed 25-May-22 15:17:39

Do tell Katie59, who are the ‘real candidates’?

Chocolatelovinggran Wed 25-May-22 15:22:11

If only we had OFSTHO - Office for Standards in High Office..
What would they find? Requires Improvement? Or ?
Sack 'em all and start again?

DiamondLily Wed 25-May-22 15:25:37

If Johnson and his cabinet were doing a brilliant job, these lapses would be forgivable.

But, in every way, this country is going from bad to farce, because of who is making decisions.

Raab wouldn't even get off of his sunbed to try and help when Kabul fell.?

Still, hopefully, one day, the voters will make their feelings known.

OakDryad Wed 25-May-22 15:44:34

Chocolatelovinggran

If only we had OFSTHO - Office for Standards in High Office..
What would they find? Requires Improvement? Or ?
Sack 'em all and start again?

We have The Public Administration and Constitutional Affairs Select Committee, a select committee appointed by the House of Commons to examine matters relating to the quality and standards in the civil service. In today's PMQ, it's chair William Wragg asked Johnson why requests to question his staff including the Cabinet Secretary and Head of Propriety and Ethics were blocked. Johnson brushed off his question with some derisory remark about Wragg being a stickler and an idealist or words to that effect. He shows utter contempt for Parliamentary proceedings. Why does Hoyle let him get away with it?