Gransnet forums

News & politics

Blue Badge renewal

(31 Posts)
nanaK54 Fri 27-May-22 11:26:58

Just a little 'heads up' about length of wait, I realise it may very by area...my poor DH is currently on fourteen weeks and still waiting, despite repeated emails and phone calls.
His current Blue Badge expires 31st May

nanaK54 Fri 27-May-22 11:27:27

Dear God - vary not very

Boz Fri 27-May-22 11:30:14

Keep using the old badge with a little sticker to say new badge pending. No one will challenge you.

Georgesgran Fri 27-May-22 11:40:02

Oh yes they will Boz at least in the NE! DD2 had a parking ticket to prove it, so we ended up having to use parking spaces ‘miles’ away to keep checking up on the progress of her last renewal.

nanaK54 Fri 27-May-22 11:47:36

Thank you both for your replies.
I was keen to highlight this issue for others
Have emailed our local MP this morning (not that I expect that to make any difference) he needs to know what is happening in his area

DiamondLily Fri 27-May-22 14:17:40

Boz

Keep using the old badge with a little sticker to say new badge pending. No one will challenge you.

They will in Bromley. We got fined.?

icanhandthemback Fri 27-May-22 14:24:20

I waited 18 weeks for my last badge. They said it was with the new changes as to who qualifies but this had been coming for a long time and no plans were made to protect the disabled from such long waits. It is disgusting.

nanaK54 Fri 27-May-22 14:28:39

icanhandthemback

I waited 18 weeks for my last badge. They said it was with the new changes as to who qualifies but this had been coming for a long time and no plans were made to protect the disabled from such long waits. It is disgusting.

Good heavens 18 weeks!
Disgusting is the right word
We have only just started getting out and about as DH is CEV, looks like we will be staying home again sad

Nanna58 Fri 27-May-22 14:29:28

We’re just n Bromley , and so did we !?

Nanna58 Fri 27-May-22 14:30:55

And applying for it in Bromley was , for my Mum, exhausting and uncaring.

DiamondLily Fri 27-May-22 14:58:38

Ours was a straightforward renewal. It should have been simple and quick, but took over 3 months.

I had applied in plenty of time, but it took much longer than they promise.

Still, no one can ever accuse Bromley Council of being efficient, and this was before Covid.

It's even worse now.?

Boz Fri 27-May-22 16:50:24

I renewed last week and was told 10 days. What I don't know is is the LA issue blue badges or is the system centralised?

Teacheranne Fri 27-May-22 18:07:22

Boz

I renewed last week and was told 10 days. What I don't know is is the LA issue blue badges or is the system centralised?

When I got mine, it was issued by each local authority. Although the same form was used, the process was different in Manchester where I tried to get one for my mum to that in Stockport who issued mine.

nanaK54 Fri 27-May-22 18:22:10

Boz

I am in Kent, so for us it is Kent County Council
Are you sure they said 10 days, we were told 10 weeks, but as I said upthread we are at 14 weeks and counting

icanhandthemback Fri 27-May-22 18:29:06

Boz

The system is done by area, it is not centralised. In our area, you have to send your application by post, there isn't even a post box or reception desk at the office. They are also terribly difficult to get hold of.

FlexibleFriend Fri 27-May-22 19:10:45

Mine has already expired and I'm currently on week 12, haven't even received an acknowledgement. I applied online and no they don't pick up the phone. Not so bothered about having to pay to park locally but miss the congestion charge elememt when I have to visit hospitals in central london that's 15 quid each time and parking anything between 10 and 20 quid.

Pammie1 Fri 27-May-22 20:38:11

Boz

Yes they will. If you park on a public highway and use an expired badge you’ll be fined. The problem is that there is so much blue badge misuse these days - authorities can’t and don’t make concessions.

Thoro Fri 27-May-22 20:49:57

I applied for my husband under the hidden disability heading as he has dementia and I was really unsure he would get it. Was told it would take at least 8 weeks and not to ring for an update unless it was longer than 8 weeks. In the meantime I broke my wrist so couldn’t drive him anyway but decided as 9 weeks had gone by to follow it up. The phone was answered really quickly and the young gentleman (well he sounded young!) apologised and then talked about covid, short of staff etc. I was super nice to him (I couldn’t drive anyway so was in no hurry) and he said he would sort it on Monday (I rang on a Friday).
I had an email on Sunday (presumably he was working from home) and the badge came by the Wednesday. Only another week to go before my cast comes off!

nanaK54 Fri 27-May-22 21:07:54

Thoro

I applied for my husband under the hidden disability heading as he has dementia and I was really unsure he would get it. Was told it would take at least 8 weeks and not to ring for an update unless it was longer than 8 weeks. In the meantime I broke my wrist so couldn’t drive him anyway but decided as 9 weeks had gone by to follow it up. The phone was answered really quickly and the young gentleman (well he sounded young!) apologised and then talked about covid, short of staff etc. I was super nice to him (I couldn’t drive anyway so was in no hurry) and he said he would sort it on Monday (I rang on a Friday).
I had an email on Sunday (presumably he was working from home) and the badge came by the Wednesday. Only another week to go before my cast comes off!

That's good news all round Thoro

Boz Sat 28-May-22 09:39:04

Just received my renewed Blue Badge. It took 6 days. No complaints.

nanaK54 Sat 28-May-22 15:06:58

Boz

Just received my renewed Blue Badge. It took 6 days. No complaints.

That's fantastic!

Boz Sat 28-May-22 16:18:55

South Staffordshire. I can't imagine they have anything like the demand that comes from big cities.

Honeysuckleberries Sat 28-May-22 16:46:29

In Surrey, I forgot about renewal and was 2 days from expiry date. It was renewed and sent within 2 days, all done online. Super service.

nanaK54 Sat 28-May-22 20:54:16

Honeysuckleberries

In Surrey, I forgot about renewal and was 2 days from expiry date. It was renewed and sent within 2 days, all done online. Super service.

That's so good

nanaK54 Mon 30-May-22 12:54:12

Well I am blowed!
The email to our MP made all the difference and badge is now, hopefully, on it's way