Gransnet forums

News & politics

Boris Johnson aiming to stay in Downing Street until 2030s

(35 Posts)
Oldnproud Sun 26-Jun-22 07:36:45

What a scary thought!

news.upday.com/uk/boris-johnson-aiming-to-stay-in-downing-street-until-2030s/?utm_source=upday&utm_medium=referral

Oldnproud Sun 26-Jun-22 07:42:41

" He urged Tory MPs plotting to oust him not to focus on the issues he has “stuffed up” after his authority was further diminished by a Cabinet resignation. "

To some degree, I agree with him there - what's done is done, so focusing on what he is highly likely to stuff up next, and preventing it (by getting him out asap), is far more important now!

Daisymae Sun 26-Jun-22 07:54:51

He will never resign of his own accord.

Joseanne Sun 26-Jun-22 08:16:36

Well at least he'll get value from his wallpaper.

Whitewavemark2 Sun 26-Jun-22 08:20:30

Taking such a delusional character as being normal and assuming he knows what he is talking about is a mistake.

Oldnproud Sun 26-Jun-22 08:21:06

Joseanne

grin grin grin

Chocolatelovinggran Sun 26-Jun-22 08:28:43

An MP responded with "I thought he was referring to the 24 hour clock".?

NotSpaghetti Sun 26-Jun-22 08:59:53

What a disaster that would be!
please NO

MawtheMerrier Sun 26-Jun-22 09:02:13

Chocolatelovinggran

An MP responded with "I thought he was referring to the 24 hour clock".?

?? If only ☹️☹️☹️

StarDreamer Sun 26-Jun-22 09:11:45

The thing is though that at the next General Election, it will not be all about keeping him, it will also be about what is the alternative.

If one of the other choices is reversing Brexit?

If one of the other choices is unilateral nuclear disarmament?

Each party puts forward a package deal, it is not pick and mix.

Oldnproud Sun 26-Jun-22 09:18:41

I find the fact that he is both thinking that way and even openly voicing it is quite worrying in itself.

It says so much about how he sees himself, and how deaf he is to any opinions that don't match his ambition or fit his own personal agenda.

The words tin pot dictator spring to mind

His fellow Tory MPs need to wake up and act now!

MaizieD Sun 26-Jun-22 10:27:47

I think we need the SAS to carry out a special operation in Downing St.

I also think that Johnson is stark staring bonkers.

Whitewavemark2 Sun 26-Jun-22 10:48:19

There is an article in the Observer suggesting that friends and family have always been concerned aboutJohnsons mental health

Whitewavemark2 Sun 26-Jun-22 10:52:21

“There have always been flashes of instability – the frothing temper, the bizarre shrieking when under pressure – but as a narcissist these traits only get worse when he is cornered as he is now…Reality is closing in on Boris Johnson.”

Ramblingrose22 Sun 26-Jun-22 11:35:31

The power has gone to BoJo's head - as happened to Thatcher who also said she wanted to go on and on. And we all know what happened to her.

What is even more concerning are the words BoJo used about changing the legal system and other things. He has obviously worked out what stands in his way under current rules and frameworks and is hellbent on changing them so that he doesn't have to be bound by them. This is chilling.

It will be interesting to see if those who want to change the 1922 Committee rules re confidence votes get voted in at next month's AGM as part of its executive so that they can propose a change in the interval of one year before holding confidence votes.

I have read that BoJo has lined up his own supporters to stand for these positions so we must hope that if they stand they will lose.

Failing that we must wait for the verdict of the Privileges Committee investigating whether he lied to Parliament, although I'm not optimistic that he would agree to go even then.

He's clearly delusional, as has been said, so then it would be time to send in the men in white coats.....

MissAdventure Sun 26-Jun-22 11:36:44

His arrogance knows no bounds.

Callistemon21 Sun 26-Jun-22 11:51:08

Joseanne

???

winterwhite Sun 26-Jun-22 11:59:36

BJ also said that he might resign if he could not bring about an end to the war in Ukraine. Isn't this a strategy for resigning without (he hopes) loss of face?
Because how could any prime minister of GB bring about the ending of the war, and how can focusing on Ukraine fit with his other much trumpeted commitment to concentrate on 'delivering what the people of this country want', which is competence in government, easing the cost of living crisis and improving public services?

Grantanow Sun 26-Jun-22 12:02:15

All political careers (except perhaps Lloyd-George's and Churchill's) end in failure but some take longer than others. Johnson is a disaster but his MPs and Cabinet are too spineless to depose him. We need a general election and grown up agreements between the other Parties to get the Tories out. They need a good few years in the wilderness for their ranks to be replenished by younger, more competent people instead of the useless Brexiteers Johnson appointed.

MawtheMerrier Sun 26-Jun-22 12:06:17

Delusional is the kindest comment I can make.

StarDreamer Sun 26-Jun-22 12:08:10

But if the rule at the time of the confidence vote was that winning it by even just one vote stopped another confidence vote about him for a year, is it fair to change that?

It is not much good objecting (quite rightly) to abolishing Human Rights legislation but wanting to retrospectively change some rule because one doesn't like the person who benefits from it.

If the rule over confidence votes is changed, then that particular win should be exempt.

Callistemon21 Sun 26-Jun-22 12:08:31

Yes, I did laugh at Joseanne's joke but sadly and frighteningly delusional is the word I would choose.

StarDreamer Sun 26-Jun-22 12:13:56

Grantanow

All political careers (except perhaps Lloyd-George's and Churchill's) end in failure but some take longer than others. Johnson is a disaster but his MPs and Cabinet are too spineless to depose him. We need a general election and grown up agreements between the other Parties to get the Tories out. They need a good few years in the wilderness for their ranks to be replenished by younger, more competent people instead of the useless Brexiteers Johnson appointed.

But what would be the issues at such a General Election?

Would the Liberal Democrats campaign to reverse Brexit and unilaterally end the nuclear deterrent?

Would people vote for those just to get a new Prime Minister?

MaizieD Sun 26-Jun-22 12:16:49

It's all a bit like the having a mentally unfit monarch who no-one can tell the truth to or remove from office.

We have a person in high office who is clearly mentally unfit for the office but there is no way of getting him out. His very unfitness is what keeps him there because he is oblivious to every single one of his actions and words which mark him as unfit.

I can only hope that after hubris comes nemesis.

(I also think he says these outrageous things just to keep himself in the lime light and to cause further chaos)

As an afterthought grin

Oh gracious PM we thee implore,
To go away and sin no more.
Or, if the effort be too great,
To go away at any rate..

(with apologies to Anon c1820)

Ladyleftfieldlover Sun 26-Jun-22 12:20:49

The men in white coats, sadly, never came for trump. I’m sure they were parked just round the corner for four years.