Gransnet forums

News & politics

Doctors want a 30% pay rise!

(131 Posts)
Urmstongran Mon 27-Jun-22 18:05:11

Don’t we all?

A doctor friend of mine said that many doctors have reduced their hours to four days a week for lifestyle reasons. Perhaps many will be wanting to see an increase in their pay to compensate.

What do you think about this?

varian Mon 27-Jun-22 18:07:03

Are doctors the latest target of the right wing press?

Blinko Mon 27-Jun-22 18:07:15

The optics, as they say, don't look good do they?

MaizieD Mon 27-Jun-22 18:08:43

varian

Are doctors the latest target of the right wing press?

Looks like it.

Criminal barristers want 25%. Can we all get hysterical about that too...? grin

vegansrock Mon 27-Jun-22 18:12:08

Who do they think they are? Anyone would think they were highly trained professionals with years of training….GP friend offered job in Canada - 1 hour appointment with each new patient for health and well-being check, hours 9-4, limited appointments and plenty of admin help, £180,000 p.a., wonder why we are short of GPs? U.K. spend a measly amount on health care compared with other countries.

Smileless2012 Mon 27-Jun-22 18:15:38

Yes they are highly trained but getting to see a GP is virtually impossible and has been for some time, so I think wanting a 30% increase in pay is outrageous.

varian Mon 27-Jun-22 18:17:01

That's a brexit bonus Smileless. There was no problem six years ago.

SueDonim Mon 27-Jun-22 18:31:27

Oh good! My dd might be able to afford to buy a house if she gets a 30% pay rise!

Many doctors work a four day week but with long hours. I think by the time my dd had done 4 x 12.5hr shifts in a row, she’s earned a day off.

Annajay Mon 27-Jun-22 18:36:31

Smileless, this has nothing to do with GPs. It is hospital doctors who are looking for a pay increase.

MaizieD Mon 27-Jun-22 18:39:57

Annajay

Smileless, this has nothing to do with GPs. It is hospital doctors who are looking for a pay increase.

It is another Brexit bonus, of course, because so many EU doctors went back to Europe.

GrannyGravy13 Mon 27-Jun-22 18:45:35

Are these the same Doctors who cut their hours and will not work overtime due to compromising their pensions and tax relief?

Urmstongran Mon 27-Jun-22 19:05:16

Not sure GG13. These are (perhaps) the younger doctors - not consultants - in hospital A&Es and out patient settings.

The BMA (which is quite a militant union are in Brighton for their annual representatives meeting. Feelings are running high and there is a lot of anger. And great admiration for the RMT strike.

Oh heck. This summer is about to become very disruptive I fear.

TerriBull Mon 27-Jun-22 19:09:54

Going back to criminal barristers, one of my husband's grandchildren is a fairly newly qualified barrister, they really don't earn that much until they become very well established, she certainly doesn't.

H1954 Mon 27-Jun-22 19:12:17

'Want' doesn't always 'get' as my Gran used to say........followed by 'and you have to deserve it'!

Calendargirl Mon 27-Jun-22 19:15:05

TerriBull

Going back to criminal barristers, one of my husband's grandchildren is a fairly newly qualified barrister, they really don't earn that much until they become very well established, she certainly doesn't.

I think it said on the News that after 23 years, they were on £63000 or £68000.

Not a huge salary, compared to some other professions, after all that time.

vegansrock Mon 27-Jun-22 19:15:55

If you want GPs or hospital doctors to leave in droves and make it even more difficult to access health care than it is now don’t bother treating them like professionals, make them work lengthy shifts in stressful conditions, don’t bother to pay them salaries commensurate with their skill and expertise and slag them off at every opportunity.

lixy Mon 27-Jun-22 19:16:47

SueDonim

Oh good! My dd might be able to afford to buy a house if she gets a 30% pay rise!

Many doctors work a four day week but with long hours. I think by the time my dd had done 4 x 12.5hr shifts in a row, she’s earned a day off.

Agree absolutely with this.
Long hours, lots of pressure, pay rise earned.
That does not mean that other people do not also deserve a decent wage.

Incidentally GP's are self-employed. Hospital doctors are employed by the NHS.

Urmstongran Mon 27-Jun-22 19:17:22

Ever since Labour gave them these ridiculous contracts it’s been a free for all.

The BMA is a trade union full stop, controlled by a vociferous left wing group.

Smileless2012 Mon 27-Jun-22 19:45:28

Thanks Annajay.

foxie48 Mon 27-Jun-22 19:50:09

My daughter's pay before allowances for working nights, weekends, 12 hour shifts bank holidays etc is less than that of a train driver. She is literally taking life and death decisions every single working day (and night). She has 12 years of training behind her and another 5 minimum before becoming eligible for a consultant post. Fairly paid? No, I don't think so and she could move abroad, be paid a lot more and have a much better work/life balance. She doesn't have the luxury of being able to work for another employer like other highly qualified people.

Zonne Mon 27-Jun-22 19:50:18

Benefit of Brexit, leavers said. No nasty foreigners undercutting wages for British workers. So no Brexit voter can disapprove of being proved right, surely?

Or was that only meant to apply to plumbers?

Germanshepherdsmum Mon 27-Jun-22 19:50:49

They could earn double that as a newly qualified solicitor in the City. Why do they do it? I have no idea.

volver Mon 27-Jun-22 19:55:13

People don't always embark on careers just because they want lots of money.

People sometimes embark on careers because they think it is a worthwhile way of contributing to society.

But eventually, if we ignore them long enough and tell them they are greedy and earn too much anyway and that they have easy lives, they'll say f*** it and go and do something else instead, in another country.

Ilovecheese Mon 27-Jun-22 19:55:40

Who do you think is more valuable to society?
a) a doctor
b) a merchant banker

Which of these has the highest salary.

Ilovecheese Mon 27-Jun-22 19:58:40

In the sort of market economy that many of you admire, there is supply and demand. If we need doctors to stay hear, we must pay the market rate, or they will leave. Especially if we tell them they are lazy.
Why not aim your anger at bankers bonuses.