Gransnet forums

News & politics

The Queen In Scotland.

(30 Posts)
Calendargirl Mon 27-Jun-22 19:12:00

Good to see HM out and about in Scotland, accompanied by Sophie and Edward, looking very well in a lovely blue outfit.

First time in public since the Jubilee, I think.

lixy Mon 27-Jun-22 19:17:42

Good for her; hope she has a lovely holiday.

lemsip Mon 27-Jun-22 19:28:55

yes she looked really 'lively' and talkative aswell.

Grany Tue 28-Jun-22 10:35:03

Queen Elizabeth owns most of the U.K. seabed. That's slowing conservation work.
The royal family is called on to help recover Britain's biodiversity, starting with royal properties.
BYMATTHEW PONSFORD
PUBLISHED JUNE 7, 2022
• 13 MIN READ

Queen Elizabeth is well known as one of the largest landowners in the world. Less well known is that her holdings include most of the seabed encircling the United Kingdom, out to 12 nautical miles from shore.

That eye-popping detail of monarchal history is being seen in a new light as Britain’s declining biodiversity gains attention and the royal family has been urged to take on greater leadership in restoring nature—starting with the properties they control.

www.nationalgeographic.com/environment/article/queen-elizabeth-owns-most-of-the-uk-seabed-slowing-conservation

They talk the talk but don't walk the walk

henetha Tue 28-Jun-22 11:04:15

Lovely to see the Queen out and about again, looking marvellous.

Anniebach Tue 28-Jun-22 11:05:52

She loves Scotland doesn’t she

GrannyGravy13 Tue 28-Jun-22 11:06:13

I didn’t think we would see HM out and about after the Jubilee, but she looked relaxed and happy in Edinburgh.

Granny23 Wed 29-Jun-22 08:58:56

FM Nichola Sturgeon is due to meet with the Queen today at Holyrood Palace. I'd love to be a fly on the wall at that meeting, particularly in light of yesterday's announcements.

Aveline Wed 29-Jun-22 09:04:09

The Queen is very polite. She'll have to be!

Anniebach Wed 29-Jun-22 09:05:52

Why will she have to be polite ?

Mollygo Wed 29-Jun-22 09:07:39

Lovely to see the Queen out and about in Scotland. The Queen is unfailingly polite, whatever her personal thoughts are.

volver Wed 29-Jun-22 09:08:09

Granny23

FM Nichola Sturgeon is due to meet with the Queen today at Holyrood Palace. I'd love to be a fly on the wall at that meeting, particularly in light of yesterday's announcements.

Why?

You want self determination for the Scottish people Ms. Sturgeon? What a jolly good idea! My sister and Mum were born in Scotland, you know.

paddyann54 Wed 29-Jun-22 09:53:00

I think old Lizzie was born in London volver She wasn't the nice wee granny the media reported .

henetha Wed 29-Jun-22 10:23:06

I envy the Queen being in Scotland again. My sister who lives in Scotland is about to move back to England now that her husband has died, so my regular trips to Scotland will come to an end.

Urmstongran Wed 29-Jun-22 10:30:08

HM the Queen has a beautiful smile that reaches her eyes just lately. For a 96y old she is wonderful. Hats off to you Ma’am and it’s great to see you enjoying life in one of your favourite places! I noticed she struggled trying to pick up those ceremonial keys from the velvet cushion however.

henetha Wed 29-Jun-22 10:33:40

I noticed that. And for the first time, I saw her as a little old lady. So sad. She will go down in history as a wonderful Queen.

Urmstongran Wed 29-Jun-22 11:23:06

She will indeed henetha I agree.

Chestnut Wed 29-Jun-22 11:34:01

I was surprised to see her out and about after the Jubilee but very pleased she can still manage some things. Her health seems to wax and wane which is understandable at her age. I think she can cope with events which do not involve much walking or standing for a long time.

Lucca Wed 29-Jun-22 12:03:33

She stepped off the train unaided

Lucca Wed 29-Jun-22 12:04:57

Granny23

Preferable to meeting BJ….
Say what you like about NS but she doesn’t waffle on!

Baggs Wed 29-Jun-22 12:17:28

I doubt the Queen waffles on either. Well clipped is what I imagine but, who knows, maybe they gushed ?

Lucca Wed 29-Jun-22 12:19:51

I’d put money on it being a perfectly civil and innocuous meeting

Aveline Wed 29-Jun-22 12:35:53

Lucca you obviously didn't see NS's endless attention seeking seeking day after day on TV during Covid. After waiting for ages for her to actually get to the point we didn't watch her again.

volver Wed 29-Jun-22 12:40:27

The Queen meets Sturgeon on a regular basis, last time was probably when the Queen was here to open the latest session of Parliament. But we don't get to hear about it often because its confidential. Just like when the Queen meets Johnson. So don't be attributing any special meaning to he fact they are meeting the day after the announcement.

I've got to say, I'm loving the Unionist response to this whole thing. Bring it on folks. ?

Lucca Wed 29-Jun-22 12:56:36

Aveline

Lucca you obviously didn't see NS's endless attention seeking seeking day after day on TV during Covid. After waiting for ages for her to actually get to the point we didn't watch her again.

Not obviously at all. Whenever I’ve seen her she has spoken clearly. Particularly impressed with her refusal to rise to the bait in an interview where she was
clearly being prompted to slag off Johnson.