Gransnet forums

News & politics

Latest atrocity in Ukraine

(16 Posts)
MawtheMerrier Mon 27-Jun-22 22:09:59

I am quoting from the BBC news site as I cannot find the words to express my horror - but not surprise at Putin deliberately targeting innocent civilians
The inferno that resulted from Russia’s missile strike on a shopping centre was incredible. Footage shared on social media showed panicked passers-by rushing to help shoppers caught in the strike.
Is anybody alive… anybody alive?” - a man can be heard calling out
Ambulances were soon on the scene, taking the injured to hospital. It was too late for many.
It isn’t known how many died, but Ukraine’s President Zelensky said around 1,000 people were inside when the missiles struck
The governor of Poltava Oblast, the region in which Kremenchuk sits, said it was "a crime against humanity
Dmytro Lunin called it an “obvious, cynical act of terror against peaceful civilians.
Russia is yet to respond to the attack and has always denied targeting civilians
But, it is already being suggested that this was another attempt by Moscow to send a message, just as the G7 group of wealthy nations was discussing new aid for Ukraine
If this isn’t a clear-cut war crime, what is.
I do feel real despair. ☹️☹️

Callistemon21 Mon 27-Jun-22 22:29:25

I am despairing too, MawtheMerrier

One war crime after another, from killing people escaping on so-called safe routes, an airstrike on a maternity hospital killing women in labour, new mothers and babies to this targeting of families shopping.

Pure evil.

maddyone Mon 27-Jun-22 23:01:35

I feel complete despair over the situation in Ukraine. How long will the world just stand by and watch? At least we’re sending weapons but not enough and not quickly enough.

MaizieD Tue 28-Jun-22 08:07:03

I feel guilty about not responding to this yesterday. But the horror that is Putin's evil vengeance in Ukraine is beyond words.

Parsley3 Tue 28-Jun-22 08:33:21

I too feel despair over this terrible war in Ukraine. I am fearful of it escalating until the whole of Europe is at war with Russia. At this moment I can’t see an end to it. It is heartbreaking.

GrannyGravy13 Tue 28-Jun-22 09:29:41

The top dog of U.K.Joint Armed Forces said on the news this morning that all European Armed Forces are ready to be mobilised and deployed at short notice.

Cannot see this ending well…

nanna8 Tue 28-Jun-22 09:34:33

What a sick f@@@ Putin is. You just have to wonder how he lives with himself. I guess the more he kills, the more he becomes immune to it, just like the Nazis were.

Germanshepherdsmum Tue 28-Jun-22 09:35:37

Nor can I. If the US send men in to train the Ukrainian army to use the latest all-singing weapons they’re going to provide then it’s clear where that will lead.

Urmstongran Tue 28-Jun-22 09:48:12

I despair too. Russia is claiming the shopping mall was an ammunition storage depot and was out of use hence why it burned so fast. If that's the case why were there hundreds of cars in the car park and why did it burn? Ammunition of any variety doesn't burn, it explodes.

Katie59 Tue 28-Jun-22 09:49:06

Putin is a war criminal no doubt, the problem NATO has is how to help Ukraine without starting WW3. With Russia able to attack anywhere in Ukraine to disrupt supply lines and NATO unable to retaliate its hard to see how help is going to make a difference.

maddyone Tue 28-Jun-22 09:58:52

The difficulty is what are we prepared to accept long term? It seems that we (the west/NATO) are quite prepared to see part of Ukraine’s sovereign land being given over permanently to the Russians.
In 1944 my father, then a teenager, joined up in the British army. By 1945 he was in the front line in Belgium and Germany. He was shot by a sniper in February 1945 after serving three months on the front line. Thankfully he survived. But what if the same excuses had been used in 1939? We would have given in to Hitler, who was remarkably similar to Putin. Putin will never give up because like Hitler he is a bully. Are we prepared to live with the situation Putin is creating? Is that the world we want?

Urmstongran Tue 28-Jun-22 10:01:28

This attack yesterday was intentional, a message especially for the G7.

Witzend Tue 28-Jun-22 10:04:07

It doesn’t bear thinking about. Putin is just plain evil.

Dd1 was recently in different cities in Ukraine for work. One night in a hotel, IIRC in Kyiv, she was woken by a loud air raid siren and charged down to reception, where the person on duty just shrugged - everybody else had evidently stayed in bed.
I wonder whether that will now have changed.

maddyone Tue 28-Jun-22 10:04:51

I agree Urmston, the timing of this attack was very obviously designed to send a message to the G7.

henetha Tue 28-Jun-22 11:08:38

What a loathsome creature Putin is. How can he justify such attacks? He's an evil war criminal and I hope is stopped soon and put on trial.

Sweetpeasue Tue 28-Jun-22 17:35:47

Can only echo the horror that other posters have expressed. Just seen recent footage of this latest abominable atrocity. Said to DH what are the Russian people thinking? He replied what were the German people thinking in World War 11. Free will and Democracy should be fought for but to what extent should, or dare anyone do this. I wish I had the answer. It's just dreadful.