Gransnet forums

News & politics

Anti Brexit man silenced

(124 Posts)
LizzieDrip Wed 29-Jun-22 13:46:37

The man who has been protesting against Brexit and the Conservatives outside the House of Commons for 6 years has had his speaker confiscated by the police. This is now allowed under the new public order bill which states that the police have powers to stop a public protest if it is deemed ‘too noisy’! Is this the thin end of the wedge. Have we, in effect, lost our right to freedom of speech and to protest? This government does not like to be challenged (particularly by us plebs) so they have simply changed the law to make it fit their view. Another nail in the coffin of democracy! Why aren’t we out on the streets protesting - quietly of courseangry.

mayisay Wed 29-Jun-22 13:51:28

Maybe the police feel that after six years, he's made his point, and it's time to move on!

volver Wed 29-Jun-22 13:56:00

mayisay

Maybe the police feel that after six years, he's made his point, and it's time to move on!

The police don't get to decide that though. Not in a free country. They are supposed to police things by our consent, not by what they want to happen.

maddyone Wed 29-Jun-22 14:01:55

I’m surprised he didn’t get bored himself and move on. Still, it’s a free country, ooops, no it’s not it seems.

DiamondLily Wed 29-Jun-22 14:03:04

He was annoying, but he'd almost become part of the Parliament landscape.?

Smileless2012 Wed 29-Jun-22 14:06:13

He was very annoying and loud. He's still able to protest just not allowed to do so with a speaker.

Zoejory Wed 29-Jun-22 14:09:12

The amount of police officers that went to get his megaphone from him was pathetic. So many victims of crime are lucky if they manage to get a crime number these days, yet this harmless, but annoying eccentric needed a gang. Apparently he's just going to shout now.

Allsorts Wed 29-Jun-22 14:10:02

I think if after six years he hasn’t conveyed his message, it’s time for a bit if peace. As if anyone would take notice anyway. I certainly wouldn’t. Is it he thinks shout loud enough and grind people down, I’m afraid that doesn't work.

Zonne Wed 29-Jun-22 14:14:27

It’s outrageous. And yes, our freedoms and eights are being eroded.

Zonne Wed 29-Jun-22 14:14:54

Oh, pffft. Rights, not eights.

GrannyGravy13 Wed 29-Jun-22 14:15:11

He can still protest, just without his megaphone.

Urmstongran Wed 29-Jun-22 14:16:32

He was an annoying twerp.
But I defend his right to be one.

Smileless2012 Wed 29-Jun-22 14:21:16

Agreed Urmstongran and I also defend his right to be one just minus the megaphone.

HousePlantQueen Wed 29-Jun-22 14:23:12

Maybe next time any of us suffer a burglary or car theft or street robbery we should shout about it, repeatedly through a loudspeaker. Pathetic, the man has the right to protest, to make his views known, he doesn't make threats or use bad language, he is a citizen, tax payer, and entitled to express his views ( and mine incidentally)

Smileless2012 Wed 29-Jun-22 14:25:48

Yes and he remains entitled to express his views just not with the aid of a megaphone.

Zonne Wed 29-Jun-22 15:23:00

Those who are saying ‘it’s only a megaphone’ do understand that it’s any noisy protest that is banned?

So if I want to go and stand at the gates of Downing Street and yell ‘not in my name’ with a group of like minded olds folk, it’d be okay in your view if we were all arrested?

BlueBelle Wed 29-Jun-22 15:35:00

Well said Volver either we re a free democratic country or not I think we know the answer
Well of course you think he’s a twerp Umstrong he’s saying all the things you want the country to forget
He’s a man on a mission and speaks for many

Dinahmo Wed 29-Jun-22 15:36:36

Protests are rarely silent. If they were, no one would know that the person was protesting.

Anyone remember the man who walked up and down Oxford Street carrying a placard telling us not to eat proteins because they created passions (I think that was the gist of it)? It was a long time ago but he was protesting for much longer than 6 years.

And don't forget that some of the Brexiteers started protesting 40 years ago.

Germanshepherdsmum Wed 29-Jun-22 15:43:32

He was a PITA. I’ve tried to work in a quiet office with loud protests going on outside, people using megaphones, whistles, drums, just any available means of making a noise and disrupting others who also have rights. For hours on end. Impossible. The new law is something I would have welcomed when working. A protest doesn’t have to be noisy in order to be effective.

volver Wed 29-Jun-22 15:49:19

I think being a PITA is the purpose of protesting...

Joseanne Wed 29-Jun-22 16:01:30

Does he not have a proper job? He's only early 50s. How does he find the time?

Zonne Wed 29-Jun-22 16:02:47

Emmeline Pankhurst is presumably turning in her grave

'That is the whole history of politics. You have to make more noise than anybody else, you have to make yourself more obtrusive than anybody else, you have to fill all the papers more than anybody else, in fact you have to be there all the time and see that they do not snow you under...'

Jaylou Wed 29-Jun-22 16:05:28

It's a shame this bill only involves noise. It may have helped stop extinction rebellion inconveniencing everyone.

LizzieDrip Wed 29-Jun-22 16:07:54

It’s the principle of it! He may have been annoying (to some) but it WAS his right. Most protests are noisy. I’m quite surprised that people don’t appear to see the bigger picture. Today, Mr Brexit Man (just an ‘annoying eccentric’); tomorrow, striking workers on picket lines? Human rights demonstrations? And so on …

volver Wed 29-Jun-22 16:07:54

Oh, it includes the new offence of locking on I believe. Or even being suspected of getting ready to lock on.

So don't go around carrying super glue, will you?