Gransnet forums

News & politics

Captain Sir Tom Moore's charity under formal investigation.

(102 Posts)
Urmstongran Thu 30-Jun-22 11:33:59

From the Telegraph today:

“The foundation set up in the name of Captain Sir Tom Moore by his daughter is under investigation by the Charity Commission over a possible “significant profit” generated for her company.

The statutory inquiry is examining a deal done by Sir Tom’s daughter Hannah Ingram-Moore and her husband Colin through their own company to register trademarks relating to “Captain Tom”

I think it’s a real shame if someone is found to have been coining it in on the back of the original charity. Where big money arises it's sometimes seen as an opportunity by someone.

AGAA4 Thu 30-Jun-22 11:39:31

I saw this on the BBC news. It will make people angry if they find they have been exploited.

Toetoe Thu 30-Jun-22 11:45:55

Do we have more information on these allegations please

Doodledog Thu 30-Jun-22 11:51:02

Toetoe

You could have googled in the time it took to ask grin.
Here

and here

and here

lemsip Thu 30-Jun-22 11:55:16

Toetoe

it's all over the national news.......look it up yourself1

lemsip Thu 30-Jun-22 11:56:05

sorry Doodledog

Serendipity22 Thu 30-Jun-22 12:04:30

I read all this this morning, and a lot of the words flummoxed me to the point of giving up reading it all.

Surely to goodness his daughter wouldnt have done anything underneath ? I mean Sir Tom rose high on a platform of all that is good, is the news about his charity saying his own daughter has purposely done something bad? Everything I read this am used words that just made it so I didnt understand what had gone on........confused

sodapop Thu 30-Jun-22 12:21:33

This is not the first time allegations have been made about the running of this charity. Such a shame to tarnish the memory of a good man.

volver Thu 30-Jun-22 12:35:54

Maybe this is comment is projection from some of the other threads going on this week...

Just because Sir Tom did a good thing that doesn't mean that all his family are angels and that the charity set up to manage his legacy is beyond criticism.

Seems to me that the investigation is about the fact that they just weren't very good at running the charity and may have profited personally. That needs investigation.

HousePlantQueen Thu 30-Jun-22 12:37:04

On BBC news this morning, the repeated emphasis was that the funds raised by the public were not impacted.

paddyann54 Thu 30-Jun-22 12:47:04

I didn't donate to this as I thought his daughter was the one behind it and had doubts about her agenda .
I am sorry if that is the case .Using her dad for her own gain is despicable

Galaxy Thu 30-Jun-22 12:49:45

Oh I am going to get slaughtered here. I have no idea if Sir Tom was a good man or not. Doing something for charity does not automatically mean good person. We need to stop painting people as heroes or villains. Its not a Marvel film.

volver Thu 30-Jun-22 12:59:04

whispers...

Yes!

MissAdventure Thu 30-Jun-22 13:03:48

I didn't have the man down as some kind of saint, either.
The public do like to have villains and saints; I prefer to be my usual cynical self.

Galaxy Thu 30-Jun-22 13:04:01

And if it was a Marvel film I in a very sexist way get to bagsy Ironman, and my guess is Robert Downey Junior may not be a nice man either but I could cope with that.

karmalady Thu 30-Jun-22 13:06:44

I wonder if he was manipulated by his family. I do think that they were very clever and thought ahead

crazyH Thu 30-Jun-22 13:06:47

If Tom’s daughter has been misappropriating the funds raised by him, shame on her ?

volver Thu 30-Jun-22 13:07:27

crazyH

If Tom’s daughter has been misappropriating the funds raised by him, shame on her ?

That's not what the allegations are.

MissAdventure Thu 30-Jun-22 13:08:11

I always thought they seemed to like the limelight.
No idea if that means anything underhand was going on, though.

Urmstongran Thu 30-Jun-22 13:10:23

We can only go off what we read or see on tv about people, that’s true. We don’t know them in real life.

From what I read & saw, I thought Captain Sir Tom seemed a lovely ‘gentle’ man in both senses of the word. He served his country in the British Army and I for one was uplifted during the dark earliest days of Covid when he told us “Tomorrow will be a better day”. That little mantra resonated at a time when I was quite anxious. It’s easy to forget how scared most of us were when vaccines hadn’t been discovered and how the virus was transmitted wasn’t certain. People weren’t opening their post for days after delivery, were washing their grocery items in washing up liquid etc. It’s such a shame his legacy is being tarnished.

Galaxy Thu 30-Jun-22 13:11:45

Most people who do something for charity get something out of it. It's a trade off. This isnt cynical it's just life. So am not sure enjoying the limelight is a bad thing as long as they were running the charity within the guidelines.

MissAdventure Thu 30-Jun-22 13:14:52

No, it's not a bad thing at all.
I just found it a bit contrived, which again, why not?
Hopefully they are all above board.

volver Thu 30-Jun-22 13:15:34

The allegations, apparently, although I'm not a lawye, are this:

The daughter's company trademarked the name Captain Tom, and made money off it.

She wanted to be a trustee of the charity and the CEO, which is not allowed. (I think)

No suggestion that I can see that she diverted money from the charity. Rules about charities are complicated. At least she wasn't accepting bags of cash from foreign donors.

merlotgran Thu 30-Jun-22 13:25:34

volver

The allegations, apparently, although I'm not a lawye, are this:

The daughter's company trademarked the name Captain Tom, and made money off it.

She wanted to be a trustee of the charity and the CEO, which is not allowed. (I think)

No suggestion that I can see that she diverted money from the charity. Rules about charities are complicated. At least she wasn't accepting bags of cash from foreign donors.

If she had accepted bags of cash from foreign donors, no doubt it would have been met with cheers of approval.

?

lemsip Thu 30-Jun-22 13:37:09

The commission said the money raised for the NHS, which was donated to NHS Charities Together, is not part of the scope of its inquiry.
copied and pasted