Gransnet forums

News & politics

Pressure grows for Johnson to remove the Whip from Chris Pincher

(3 Posts)
DiamondLily Fri 01-Jul-22 15:38:34

"Boris Johnson is facing calls to suspend his former deputy chief whip as a Tory MP, after allegations he groped two men at a private members' club.

Chris Pincher quit his government post on Thursday, saying in a resignation letter he "drank far too much" and "embarrassed myself and other people".

Labour's Yvette Cooper called for his suspension whilst the "really serious" allegations are formally investigated.

"This is about sexual assault," she added.

The BBC has approached Mr Pincher, the Conservative Party and the Tory whips' office for comment.

Downing Street suggested the prime minister considered the matter closed.

A No 10 spokesperson said they were "not aware of any sort of government investigation", and that Mr Johnson was not aware of any specific allegations against Mr Pincher before he appointed him as deputy chief whip in February.

In a letter to the chief whip, Chris Heaton-Harris, two senior female Tory MPs said the party's recent approach to allegations of sexual misconduct posed a risk of "serious reputational damage".

Caroline Nokes and Karen Bradley said anyone under investigation for such allegations should not be allowed to represent the party and called for a new code of conduct for Tory MPs.

Tory whip resigns saying he 'embarrassed himself'
The Sun newspaper first reported Mr Pincher's resignation, saying he was drinking at the Carlton Club in central London when he is said to have assaulted two other male guests.

Several concerned Tory MPs contacted the Conservative whips' office to complain about his behaviour, the paper said.

Dozens of people were present in a small room with a bar at the private members' club including other MPs, ministers, club officials and people working in public relations, the BBC understands.

In a resignation letter on Thursday, Mr Pincher wrote to the prime minister: "Last night I drank far too much."

He added: "I think the right thing to do in the circumstances is for me to resign as deputy chief whip. I owe it to you and the people I've caused upset to, to do this."

On Thursday, a Downing Street source said as things stood Mr Pincher would face no further action from the party and would keep the whip, allowing him to continue to sit as a Conservative MP.

A Tory MP told the BBC they had raised concerns about Mr Pincher's behaviour to senior figures in Number 10 and the Conservative Party - including chief whip Chris Heaton-Harris, minister Nigel Adams, government whips and one of the prime minister's top advisers Ben Gascoigne.

Speaking about raising concerns, the MP said: "Loads [of us] did when he was in the frame for chief whip and he never got it. There were concerns, none of us had proof we could use. He should have the whip suspended and a by-election."

Shadow home secretary Ms Cooper told BBC Radio 4's Today programme: "This is just a total disgrace, the response from Boris Johnson, from the government to this.

"These allegations are really serious, this is about sexual assault.

"So the idea that the response that we've seen - that the prime minister thinks he's done the decent thing by resigning, that there's no need for an investigation - that's a total disgrace."

She added:
"There has to be a full investigation now, and of course he should have the whip suspended while that investigation takes place."

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-62008197

Floradora9 Fri 01-Jul-22 21:19:28

Well the deed is done now .

MayBee70 Sat 02-Jul-22 00:06:09

What the hell is going on in government? Anna Soubry said on Sky News tonight that it had been known for a long time that he had ‘problems’. Either Johnson pays no attention to what is happening in his own government because he’s too busy gallivanting round the world or thinking up vanity projects (possible) or he just doesn’t see MP’s behaving in such a way as wrong (probable).