Gransnet forums

News & politics

The next big scandal to hit Johnson, should he not resign before hand.

(20 Posts)
Whitewavemark2 Wed 06-Jul-22 15:54:12

Place - The Liaison Committee -
Date - 06/07/22
Time - 15.30
Person - Diana Johnson questioning the Prime Minister.

“Did you meet with Alexander Lebedev (KGB member) on your own without any security or “minder”

After his usual waffle the answer

“Yes”

“Where did you meet him”

Reply - “Italy”

Drunken party over a weekend. This was when he was the Foreign Minister.

CvD66 Wed 06-Jul-22 17:06:30

Shock, horror, surprise… he opened his mouth and truth came out. Will he also explain why he made Lebedev’s son a Lord? Or why he delayed sanctioning Lebedev? Or will he continue his close relations with these friends of Putin? This will shake the 1922 committee even more than Pincher’s gropes and fumbles.

Whitewavemark2 Wed 06-Jul-22 17:09:14

It is certainly far more serious. Who knows how compromised he is.

Iam64 Wed 06-Jul-22 17:10:42

It’s terrifying - is he compromised

Iam64 Wed 06-Jul-22 17:11:33

Sorry, he’s compromised in so many ways. I was following the possible Russian compromise

RichmondPark Wed 06-Jul-22 17:38:20

Is he is having a terrific week as he's finally achieved what his Russian friends require of him i.e. chaos, doubt, instability, weakness within government, distraction for the key issues, isolation from the EU and general division and mistrust?

Esspee Wed 06-Jul-22 18:02:21

It is truly frightening how low our government has sunk but thankfully the end is nigh. ??

Esspee Wed 06-Jul-22 18:12:55

Zahawi was appointed yesterday, today the BBC has reported that Zahawi is among the cabinet ministers about to tell the PM to resign. What does that say about his ethics?

Bellanonna Wed 06-Jul-22 18:14:23

Is it? Hopefully.
whitewave,hope you’re feeling better

Iam64 Wed 06-Jul-22 18:41:45

Hello whitewave , hope you’re ok and good to see you

Madgran77 Wed 06-Jul-22 19:26:09

Esspee

Zahawi was appointed yesterday, today the BBC has reported that Zahawi is among the cabinet ministers about to tell the PM to resign. What does that say about his ethics?

I know what you mean but I am wondering if it was a conscious choice to stay in the Cabinet in order to give him access to the PM to ell him to resign? Not sure really!

Whitewavemark2 Wed 06-Jul-22 19:29:49

Thank you everyone. Beginning to get better now.

Don’t get covid??????????????‍??‍??‍???? ???, plus earache . It’s horrible!

Still completely tired and coughing, but definitely on the mend.

Chewbacca Wed 06-Jul-22 19:32:14

It is truly frightening how low our government has sunk but thankfully the end is nigh. ??

Is it though? Or has he set us up for far more trouble with Russia than we'd ever imagine? RichmondPark @ 17.38 might well have nailed it.

HousePlantQueen Wed 06-Jul-22 20:13:42

Glad you are starting to feel better WWMK2, blinking covid19 is rife around here. I prescribe hot blackcurrant, paracetamol and prime ministerial resignation.

Summerlove Wed 06-Jul-22 20:19:38

Ill be shocked should he actually step down.

Madgran77 Wed 06-Jul-22 21:41:29

Um ...what benefit to him and this situation does Boris think sacking Michael Gove is going to have...and having Downing Street "sources" publicly calling Gove a snake? I suppose Priti will be sacked next as she has apparently also gone against him now and said he has to go. And will he sack the Chancellor he only appointed yesterday as he has also said Boris should go? At this rate there will be a Cabinet of 1 (Boris) talking to himself ...oh hang on Nadine will inevitably still be there waving the flag!

Esspee Wed 06-Jul-22 21:45:03

SunshineSally Wed 06-Jul-22 21:50:25

Lol Esspee ??

Devorgilla Wed 06-Jul-22 21:54:11

WW2, wishing you better soon.

Doodledog Thu 07-Jul-22 09:15:29

I think this is key to the refusal to resign.

I know that the Tories are ruthless, and will show no mercy when they see weakness, but this seems to be beyond that. There are unanswered questions about Johnson's meetings with Lebedev, and also about the extent to which Russian oligarchs were laundering money here before the war. There seems to me to be something much deeper than the Pincher scandal going on. I obviously don't know what, but my guess would be something financial - cash for favours/honours - that sort of thing - that the war has made much more serious than it might otherwise have seemed.

There have been so many scandals that ministers were prepared to ignore - why is this situation (awful though it was for the victims) the one to push them into a coup?

I think there is a lot more to come out.