Gransnet forums

News & politics

Boris resigning as tory leader but not as prime minister?

(21 Posts)
lemsip Thu 07-Jul-22 11:05:28

just now

lemsip Thu 07-Jul-22 11:07:48

resigning as conservative leader today but staying as PM till autumn

Mollygo Thu 07-Jul-22 11:11:52

How?

lemsip Thu 07-Jul-22 11:15:03

I don't know! Just watching BBC live!

DaisyAnne Thu 07-Jul-22 11:16:45

Caretaker PM?

25Avalon Thu 07-Jul-22 11:19:24

Caretaker PM until October.

25Avalon Thu 07-Jul-22 11:24:32

A significant number of Tory MP’s are saying however that he should go now, hand the seals back, and advise the Queen to appoint a caretaker PM.

25Avalon Thu 07-Jul-22 11:26:30

This would probably be Dominic Raab until they sort out contenders in next few months.

Whitewavemark2 Thu 07-Jul-22 11:30:08

Johnson can’t remain as caretaker he is too much of a security risk.

He has to go.

Oldnproud Thu 07-Jul-22 11:33:36

Is there any chance that enough opposition from within the Party could force a u-turn on that decision (assuming that such an arrangement has been made)?

How can his remaining as caretaker possibly be in anyone other than Boris's best interests?

25Avalon Thu 07-Jul-22 11:37:21

OldnProud no one has made a decision for Boris to stay, apart from possibly himself. Significant numbers of goriest are likely to force him out, in which case Raab will step in as caretaker MP until they sort the new leader out. This is what usually happens, provided Boris doesn’t call a GE.

25Avalon Thu 07-Jul-22 11:37:48

Tories not goriest

Oldnproud Thu 07-Jul-22 11:42:10

Earlier this morning, I had to smile when I heard a report of Ed Davey's reaction to the idea of Johnson staying on as caretaker:

The idea that the Conservatives might make Boris Johnson caretaker for anything is frankly ludicrous.
The man's never taken care of anything in his life.

Oldnproud Thu 07-Jul-22 11:45:30

Though I suppose he's 50% qualified for the role - very good at taking!

Whitewavemark2 Thu 07-Jul-22 11:49:00

Reporting that Johnson is appointing a “fantasy cabinet” with the intention of staying for at least the next few months.

This cannot stand.

Johnson is a security risk.

Oldnproud Thu 07-Jul-22 11:53:47

Whitewavemark2

Reporting that Johnson is appointing a “fantasy cabinet” with the intention of staying for at least the next few months.

This cannot stand.

Johnson is a security risk.

You are so right.

I sincerely hope that now they have finally found their spines, all these newly-resigned ministers, and backbenchers who have openly withdrawn their support for Johnson, will hold firm and demand that he go right away.

annodomini Thu 07-Jul-22 11:56:40

Tories not goriest Are you sure that was just a typo? Avalon?

Farzanah Thu 07-Jul-22 11:58:12

This is a farce now. How can a cabinet function under him.

25Avalon Thu 07-Jul-22 12:02:59

annodomini

^Tories not goriest^ Are you sure that was just a typo? Avalon?

Maybe a Freudian slip either by me or my IPad ?

M0nica Thu 07-Jul-22 16:33:12

Well, he cannot push through any new policies, just keep the government ticking over. We are coming up to the 'silly' season when everyone goes on holiday and nothing much happens. It could be worse, imagine all this happening in February when the Russians invaded Ukraine.

However, I am among those who think they should kick him out asap. He needs to spend more time with his family!

MaizieD Thu 07-Jul-22 18:42:14

He can do whatever he wants, MOnica providing that his MPs support him. He hasn't actually resigned as PM. He hasn't been asked to stay as a caretaker PM. He's just taking it upon himself.

There is also the matter of his plans for a big wedding anniversary party at Chequers... Story broken by the Mirror.
Is private entertaining of that sort permitted at Chequers or is it for 'official' entertaining?