Gransnet forums

News & politics

Recall Parliament?

(42 Posts)
Daisymae Mon 08-Aug-22 16:22:50

Gordon Brown has apparently said that if Johnson, Truss and Sunak can't agree an emergency budget in the next few days then Parliament should be recalled so that plans can be made. Sounds good to me. There's a definite air if Rome burning while Nero plays with his fiddle. So to speak.

DaisyAnne Mon 08-Aug-22 16:25:12

Have you looked at this thread www.gransnet.com/forums/news_and_politics/1313981-Gordon-Brown-demands-emergency-budget Daisymae?

midgey Mon 08-Aug-22 16:26:38

It’s seems to prove the point that ‘they’ just don’t care, I see Rees Mogg is checking for benefit fraud…..honestly you couldn’t make it up.

MerylStreep Mon 08-Aug-22 16:35:42

I’m afraid a recall of parliament is too late. Its far far worse than a lot of people realise.

Daisymae Mon 08-Aug-22 17:11:20

Yes, have seen previous threads

JaneJudge Mon 08-Aug-22 17:13:46

I honestly do not understand why they close in the summer when such huge stuff is going on (like covid in 2020 for example)

Casdon Mon 08-Aug-22 17:15:54

MerylStreep

I’m afraid a recall of parliament is too late. Its far far worse than a lot of people realise.

I think Gordon Brown has realised MerylStreep. I’ve seen that Boris Johnson has said he won’t be doing anything, so as it stands currently nothing at all will happen until
September. What do you think should happen if they aren’t going to recall parliament but the situation is far worse than people realise, surely doing nothing isn’t the answer?

JaneJudge Mon 08-Aug-22 17:18:30

Boris Johnson is a master of doing nothing.

Lovetopaint037 Mon 08-Aug-22 17:46:36

So it takes Gordon Brown to state the obvious. It’s obvious we need a clear out of these self centred and less than able politicians.

Oldnproud Mon 08-Aug-22 17:53:46

If Boris Johnson will do nothing, he should receive not a penny more of public money, period, as the Americans say.

BlueBelle Mon 08-Aug-22 17:58:11

Gordon Brown is a good man he didn’t have ‘charisma’ but he always seemed to have intelligence and integrity something that’s been missing a long time

MerylStreep Mon 08-Aug-22 19:05:48

Casdon
Where do you start? It’s like a very old house that’s been neglected for a long time. The roofs falling, the guttering is falling off, the window frames are rotten, the floorboards are dodgy, the mortar is falling out.
The only difference being: this house was only built in 2010 ?

Jane43 Mon 08-Aug-22 19:16:37

BlueBelle

Gordon Brown is a good man he didn’t have ‘charisma’ but he always seemed to have intelligence and integrity something that’s been missing a long time

I agree with you. The BBC documentary on Blair and Brown is very revealing. Blair leaned very heavily on Brown in the early days when he was a novice, Brown even taught him how to write a good speech. Brown’s integrity held him back from trying to be party leader when John Smith died and Blair took his chance - he had the charisma that Brown lacked.

Daisymae Mon 08-Aug-22 19:23:38

MerylStreep

Casdon
Where do you start? It’s like a very old house that’s been neglected for a long time. The roofs falling, the guttering is falling off, the window frames are rotten, the floorboards are dodgy, the mortar is falling out.

The thing is the owner is on holiday and winters on the way. Someone needs to take control and start preparing. Meanwhile No.10 just shrugs its shoulders. How will anyone vote Tory again???

RichmondPark1 Mon 08-Aug-22 19:24:41

MerylStreep

MerylStreep Sounds like you have some really interesting information there about what we're facing. Could you please share?

Fleurpepper Tue 09-Aug-22 11:48:42

Daisymae

MerylStreep

Casdon

The thing is the owner is on holiday and winters on the way. Someone needs to take control and start preparing. Meanwhile No.10 just shrugs its shoulders. How will anyone vote Tory again???

It is really hard to imagine how anyone, just anyone, can still support the Conservatives? I am glad those friends and family who did support them all their lives, and many who voted for Brexit- have decided that they just could not in the future.

Doodledog Tue 09-Aug-22 11:54:04

BlueBelle

I think this is a very relevant point. For too long we have been in the thrall of 'celebrity' politics, so it is people who are good in front of the cameras who get in, rather than those who are good with policies.

I don't know how we turn the clock back, as the media are here to stay; but it's a dangerous situation.

Vetrep Tue 09-Aug-22 12:04:44

Short memories! Gordon Brown left the country bankrupt and announced it gleefully. The austerity that followed was a direct result of Labour’s mismanagement.
You all wanted Boris out, now you want him back in to help us out ?‍♀️ You can’t have it both ways. I hope it is proved that he was ousted illegally because God help us all if your much loved but decidedly dodgy Labour lot get in. They make me ?

RichmondPark1 Tue 09-Aug-22 12:21:32

Nobody here has said they want Boris back Vetrep

MerylStreep Tue 09-Aug-22 12:33:02

Some might disagree but it’s an interesting read.

theconversation.com/fact-check-did-labour-overspend-and-leave-a-deficit-that-was-out-of-control-41118

Rosalyn69 Tue 09-Aug-22 12:33:04

Come the revolution….
I am truly fearful about the future. I don’t remember anything this bad.

MaizieD Tue 09-Aug-22 12:34:36

RichmondPark1

Nobody here has said they want Boris back Vetrep

I don't think that Vetrep has noticed that Johnson hasn't actually gone yet. He is still drawing PM's pay and enjoying PM's perks but refusing to carry out a PM's responsibilities. In the face of the economic crisis we are in, and the hardship it is going to cause a very large proportion of the populace in the coming months, this refusal is utterly reprehensible.

Pammie1 Tue 09-Aug-22 12:34:39

Vetrep

Short memories! Gordon Brown left the country bankrupt and announced it gleefully. The austerity that followed was a direct result of Labour’s mismanagement.
You all wanted Boris out, now you want him back in to help us out ?‍♀️ You can’t have it both ways. I hope it is proved that he was ousted illegally because God help us all if your much loved but decidedly dodgy Labour lot get in. They make me ?

Labour’s ‘mismanagement’ was in no small part due to the financial crisis, and the austerity that followed was mostly as a consequence of choices which afforded the Coalition government the opportunity to do a lot of things rooted in ideology, not necessity, and blame it on Labour. I agree, the last Labour government didn’t exactly cover themselves in glory, but this lot are a bunch of rich, entitled pillocks with no respect for the public and without the first idea of how ordinary people live. Whoever becomes PM, hopefully won’t be able to save them from being voted out at the next election, and the sooner the better.

paddyann54 Tue 09-Aug-22 13:15:35

The deficit was 850 Billion ,A manageable sum unlike the 3 TRILLION this government is headed towards at speed .I'm not a labour supporter but I always thought Brown was ousted for the wrong reasons .
Saying that he did his fair share of lying during the 2014 referendum...better together we are not and where is this powerful federal Scotland you promised?

DaisyAnne Tue 09-Aug-22 13:36:46

Vetrep

Who, just who wants Johnson back? If you are going to make such statements, then perhaps you could tell us who you have identified as such a person on Gransnet.

Gordon Brown did not leave the country bankrupt, nor did he announce that he had. Liam Byrne left the note; he has apologised, at every opportunity, ever since.

It was not a case that there was no money. Liam Byrne had been working hard and left behind a plan that would halve the deficit incurred (as so many other countries had had to do) during the International Monetary Crisis.

If you are ignorant of facts, please do not repeat fiction as if it was just as valuable. It isn't.