Gransnet forums

News & politics

Why is Boris still PM if he's going to do no work?

(218 Posts)
GagaJo Mon 15-Aug-22 09:16:20

Just that really. Is he only remaining as official PM to get paid? Because if he has no intention of working, surely he should be taken off the books, as any of us would be if we absented ourselves from work.

volver Mon 15-Aug-22 09:24:11

I don't normally approve of this kind of language, but in this case I'll make an exception.

Lovetopaint037 Mon 15-Aug-22 09:39:52

It suits him. No work and chances for photo shoots like his apparent jet flying. Also chances to meddle with what is going on without any come backs.

TillyTrotter Mon 15-Aug-22 09:41:26

Boris is now a caretaker PM.
Does that mean he just sweeps up and changes toilet rolls?

Beckett Mon 15-Aug-22 09:42:31

Parliament is in recess (they are all on holiday!). I am sure he is in daily contact with his office. Still never miss a chance at a bit of Boris bashing (wasn't Starmer pictured on holiday recently?)

FarNorth Mon 15-Aug-22 09:43:39

Did Johnson do anything useful anyway?

Isn't he on MPs' paid hols just now?

Zonne Mon 15-Aug-22 09:45:34

Starker isn’t the Prime Minister. And all PM work does not take place in Parliament or only while Parliament is sitting.

I’ve no idea why we continue to pay the man to ignore the myriad of issues he’s meant to co-ordinate a response to.

Zonne Mon 15-Aug-22 09:46:29

I hate auto-correct. Starmer, obviously, not starker.

Doodledog Mon 15-Aug-22 09:48:56

A ponce is just someone who profits from the work of others, isn't it? That definition seems spot on, to me.

GagaJo, you are right that anyone else would be sacked if they weren't doing their job. I have no idea why it is different for someone supposedly doing the most important job in the land.

NotSpaghetti Mon 15-Aug-22 09:59:31

Perhaps Doodle the job is SO easy we don't need a PM?

Ladyleftfieldlover Mon 15-Aug-22 10:01:14

There are a multitude of problems in this country in particular and the world in general. Johnson should have recalled Parliament. He is as useful as a chocolate teapot. Whoever is elected PM by that tiny group of people will be taking this country into an more right wing scenario. It is strange (probably another word but can’t think of it at the moment) when the wisest words are being spoken by an ex Labour PM and hopefully a future Labour PM. The Tory party have a lot to answer for. I know Labour aren’t perfect but at least they seem concerned with how poorer families cope in the coming months. The Tories just seem bothered about their donors and how much profit big companies can make. Not a good look.

MayBee70 Mon 15-Aug-22 10:02:54

Why would he recall parliament? He might have to do some work!

GrannyGravy13 Mon 15-Aug-22 10:03:49

The majority of the U.K. has worked remotely for the best part of two years.

Westminster is on its annual summer recess.

volver Mon 15-Aug-22 10:07:26

Oh come on now. This place seems to have forgotten what a Prime Minister is for.

The PM is meant to lead the government; to do something when the country is in time of crisis, if need be; to direct operations and set the direction for the rest of the government.

I read somewhere that PMs in their last few weeks are usually running around trying to get everything in place for when they have left office, to safeguard their legacy.

I suppose we could say that Johnson is definitely acting in a way that will safeguard his legacy.

Whitewavemark2 Mon 15-Aug-22 10:13:56

GrannyGravy13

Do you truly believe that Johnson works remotely??.

MaizieD Mon 15-Aug-22 11:05:18

He's ensuring that his term of office is longer than Theresa May's. She lasted 3yrs 11days. If Johnson had left office when he announced his sort of resignation in July he'd've only served 2yrs 348 days. When he finishes in September he'll've managed to clock up about 20 days longer than May...

toscalily Mon 15-Aug-22 11:12:10

Oh come on now, cut him a bit of slack, he is probably busy organising another party.

Fleurpepper Mon 15-Aug-22 11:14:07

volver

I don't normally approve of this kind of language, but in this case I'll make an exception.

Another British customer shouted back 'no, don't return- they have enough trouble as it is'!

GagaJo Mon 15-Aug-22 11:42:25

Beckett

Parliament is in recess (they are all on holiday!). I am sure he is in daily contact with his office. Still never miss a chance at a bit of Boris bashing (wasn't Starmer pictured on holiday recently?)

The LP and Starter have been working on plans that would help the country out of the energy crisis actually.

I'm no fan of Starter, btw. But at least he's focusing on the country.

GagaJo Mon 15-Aug-22 11:45:11

www.google.com/amp/s/uk.finance.yahoo.com/amphtml/finance/news/starmer-reveals-labours-emergency-plan-140200157.html

NotSpaghetti Mon 15-Aug-22 11:52:15

Yes, that is SURELY the reason MaizieD - I'd forgotten about that!

Zonne Mon 15-Aug-22 12:06:49

GrannyGravy13

I worked remotely for 30 years for several organisations. If I’d done as little work as Johnson, I’d have been fired from all of them.

Grantanow Mon 15-Aug-22 12:11:01

But he wasn't doing much before!

Fleurpepper Mon 15-Aug-22 12:22:46

GrannyGravy13

Really! Really! Can't believe I am reading this sad

Mamie Mon 15-Aug-22 12:29:43

Not forgetting that Johnson had already had a holiday in Slovenia.....