Gransnet forums

News & politics

Heading towards a general strike?

(138 Posts)
Shinamae Thu 18-Aug-22 10:09:33

Watching the news recently this seems to be in the pipeline. I work in a care home for £9.50 an hour and there’s no way I could strike in good conscience and I think many carers feel the same so stuck at the minimum wage,we work so hard and I could weep..

welbeck Thu 18-Aug-22 10:26:00

have you joined a union.
the GMB have done some good work for careworkers, taking legal cases etc.

Shinamae Thu 18-Aug-22 10:38:24

A union would not go well in my care home I’m afraid

welbeck Thu 18-Aug-22 10:43:26

that's irrelevant. you have the right to join a union. the very fact that you think it would not go well there, suggests that you really need to join one.
unity is strength.
and information is power.

Doodledog Thu 18-Aug-22 10:49:33

Welbeck is right.

Also, I'm not saying that this is necessarily what you are saying, but often on voxpops or phone-ins, people often say that there should not be strike action because not everyone can strike. What is the logic there? The fact that care workers can't (or won't) strike doesn't mean that (eg) railway workers or teachers shouldn't, does it?

Shinamae Thu 18-Aug-22 11:03:13

Doodledog

Welbeck is right.

Also, I'm not saying that this is necessarily what you are saying, but often on voxpops or phone-ins, people often say that there should not be strike action because not everyone can strike. What is the logic there? The fact that care workers can't (or won't) strike doesn't mean that (eg) railway workers or teachers shouldn't, does it?

And I’m not saying other people shouldn’t strike…..I’m just saying it would be very difficult for me as a carer…

Doodledog Thu 18-Aug-22 11:06:13

No, I know you're not saying that - I just wondered why so many people do say it.

welbeck Thu 18-Aug-22 11:14:28

joining a union is not another term for going on strike.
there are many issues re conditions, health&safety, that they can assist with. they know the law.
many employers either don't, don't care to, or hope the employees don't know the law.
the employer will not stand up for you.
that's why you need a union.

Normandygirl Thu 18-Aug-22 17:27:28

Shinamae
Forgive me if I have got this wrong, but your OP seems to be suggesting that because of the caring nature of what you do, you feel that it is somehow wrong for those who already get higher pay to go on strike for better pay and conditions ?

eazybee Thu 18-Aug-22 18:24:53

You should join a Union, Shinamae in an attempt to improve your pay and working conditions and receive recognition for your professional skills. Being a union member does not mean you can be compelled to go on strike, but you do have support when negotiating terms and conditions and access to legal support and insurance should a conflict arise. Unions can also push for skills and expertise to be acknowledged, and opportunities for training and qualifications to be provided.

I belonged to three different unions during my 40 year teaching career and ended up as chairman of the local branch of the last one but always refused to take strike action. I received unqualified support when I needed it.

3dognight Thu 18-Aug-22 18:54:58

It’s a hard call, all I can say is £9.50 an hour is not a fit for purpose minimum wage, if indeed that is minimum wage.

Shinamae Thu 18-Aug-22 20:30:47

Normandygirl

Shinamae
Forgive me if I have got this wrong, but your OP seems to be suggesting that because of the caring nature of what you do, you feel that it is somehow wrong for those who already get higher pay to go on strike for better pay and conditions ?

That’s not what I’m saying at all!

Shinamae Thu 18-Aug-22 20:32:18

eazybee

You should join a Union, Shinamae in an attempt to improve your pay and working conditions and receive recognition for your professional skills. Being a union member does not mean you can be compelled to go on strike, but you do have support when negotiating terms and conditions and access to legal support and insurance should a conflict arise. Unions can also push for skills and expertise to be acknowledged, and opportunities for training and qualifications to be provided.

I belonged to three different unions during my 40 year teaching career and ended up as chairman of the local branch of the last one but always refused to take strike action. I received unqualified support when I needed it.

What I will say is that I have mentioned having a union at work and have been told quite categorically that the owner would sell up and retire… and I believe he would..

ixion Thu 18-Aug-22 20:37:47

Then must be afraid of something.

ixion Thu 18-Aug-22 20:38:07

-he must

varian Thu 18-Aug-22 20:53:36

Shiname if you are earning £9,50 an hour working as a carer, which is skilled and responsible job, you must know that you could earn £15 per hour as a self employed cleaner.

Perhaps you love your job and are a very caring person but you are being exploited. Join a union and ensure that you and other skilled carers are better rewarded

GagaJo Thu 18-Aug-22 20:54:17

I agree, we should be heading towards a national strike. Given that our current government's first impulse is to line their own pockets, without paying their share into our tax system, we should show them we don't want any more of their sh*t.

Shinamae Thu 18-Aug-22 20:55:48

ixion

-he must

That’s the crux of the matter,I do love the job and most carers do,they certainly do not do it for the money…

Shinamae Thu 18-Aug-22 20:56:42

Shinamae

ixion

-he must

That’s the crux of the matter,I do love the job and most carers do,they certainly do not do it for the money…

Sorry that was a reply to Varian..

Iam64 Thu 18-Aug-22 21:17:21

Shinamae, carers should be paid more, £15.00 per hour minimum and with good terms and conditions
Johnson stood outside number 10 claiming he had an oven ready plan for social care. It was clear to anyone who ever worked in or close to social care thus was a lie.
Forcing local authorities to sell off its childrens homes and residential care homes, to allow hone care to be privatised has proved to be the disaster predicted
We should subsidise social care (and child ten’s care) these key elements should never have been privatised

Normandygirl Thu 18-Aug-22 23:03:45

Shinamae

Normandygirl

Shinamae

That’s not what I’m saying at all!

Thankyou for clarifying. My mis-interpretation!

Normandygirl Thu 18-Aug-22 23:12:24

"What I will say is that I have mentioned having a union at work and have been told quite categorically that the owner would sell up and retire… and I believe he would.."

Your employer has no right to know if you are a union member or not and certainly cannot use blackmail to discourage you joining one.

CocoPops Fri 19-Aug-22 01:31:07

Easybee's very sensible post of 18.24 advises you to join a union which in my opinion is absolutely essential. You might find you need legal representation one day. You really should protect yourself.

eazybee Fri 19-Aug-22 06:10:27

Shinamae, you are being exploited, as are the patients in the care home. The owner will sell up and retire when it suits him, not because you and your fellow workers join a union but because enforcement of Government regulations on better care is eating into his profits.
Care work is here to stay, but unions can negotiate better terms and conditions for their members who are then not at the mercy of bullies like your present boss.

Germanshepherdsmum Fri 19-Aug-22 07:58:16

If the care home is privately owned then the owner will sell one day, union or no union. All the more reason to belong to one, which can advise and protect you. There is no need for the owner to know that any of his staff belong to a union until then.