Gransnet forums

News & politics

Another Benefit of Brexit?

(456 Posts)
Granny23 Sun 18-Sep-22 11:14:25

Just this!

The pound is at its lowest level since the crash of 1985. The average UK household is projected to be poorer than the average Slovenian household by 2024 and Polish by 2030 (source: John Murdoch in the financial times today).
Glad we took back control eh!

Grantanow Sun 18-Sep-22 11:48:43

I'm sure that nice Mr Rees-Mogg found lots of Brexit advantages when he was Minister for Brexit Opportunities (when he wasn't moving his investment office to Dublin to stay in the EU zone).

MaizieD Sun 18-Sep-22 11:58:22

I tried Burn-Murdoch's findings out on another thread yesterday, Granny23. Folks don't seem overly bothered by them or they don't believe them...

Jaxjacky Sun 18-Sep-22 12:49:24

I, like many others didn’t vote for Brexit, in fact we were living in France, so we had postal votes. I’m also aware that we’re in deep shit right across our economy, public services are dire and people are extremely worried about the coming winter.
So, any solution, that might actually happen, in the near future, anyone?
Emphasis on the actual happening, like in October 2022, because I can see tons of negative news, but no immediate tangible action.

usuallyright Sun 18-Sep-22 13:16:11

Stop bleating about the different situations which have affected the whole world, and they surely were not caused by us taking the most sensible step for Great Britain, of leaving the EU.
We are now, in general terms, able to do what is best for Britain, except where the vindictive nature of the EU is still attempting to interfere with us running our great country, to the benefit of Great Britain, and most importantly Northern Ireland.
Incidentally I did vote for Brexit, and was highly delighted with the result when it came. Thank you David Cameron for giving us the most welcome opportunity to escape from the clutches of the EU. TTFN

Fleurpepper Sun 18-Sep-22 13:41:19

This is satire, I hope, usuallyright (totally wrong!).

All EU countries have been affected by Covid and the war in Ukraine and all the other current negative factors. NONE of them are doing so catastrophically badly as the UK. Why do you think this is the case?

Vindictive nature of the EU, where, please? Because they insist the Deal negotiated and signed should be adhered to. Because they insist on protecting their people and markets from inferior products with lower safety, lower husbandry, lower conditions, etc, as we used to before as part of the EU. Because Johnson and now Truss want to break the NI protocol which was 100% part of the Deal negotiated and signed.

Satire at its best or worst.

MayBee70 Sun 18-Sep-22 22:47:19

usuallyright

Stop bleating about the different situations which have affected the whole world, and they surely were not caused by us taking the most sensible step for Great Britain, of leaving the EU.
We are now, in general terms, able to do what is best for Britain, except where the vindictive nature of the EU is still attempting to interfere with us running our great country, to the benefit of Great Britain, and most importantly Northern Ireland.
Incidentally I did vote for Brexit, and was highly delighted with the result when it came. Thank you David Cameron for giving us the most welcome opportunity to escape from the clutches of the EU. TTFN

To the benefit of Northern Ireland? Can you elaborate on that please…

Whitewavemark2 Mon 19-Sep-22 06:00:16

This is appropriate today. The Queen wore this at the state opening of parliament, instead if her usual regalia after a Sun journalist claimed that she supported Brexit.

MayBee70 Mon 19-Sep-22 11:07:06

I’ll never forget that Sun front page’ The Queen supports brexit’. It still infuriates me.

BlueBelle Mon 19-Sep-22 11:11:49

Well usuallyright is very usuallywrong this time
the worst thing the country could have done…. utter suicide
You should remove your blinkers and face reality
The queen gave the only clue she could, I did like her for that hidden message

Whitewavemark2 Mon 19-Sep-22 11:22:56

Her clothes nearly always sent a message. It was done deliberately and elegantly.

vampirequeen Mon 19-Sep-22 11:49:44

What has Brexit achieved that makes us better off?

We have blue passports made in Poland by a French owned company.
We have agreed trade deals which undermine our farming industry and animal welfare.
We left a large trading bloc to become a small purchaser.
We have food rotting in the fields because the foreign workers can't/won't come over to pick it.
We have a shortage of lorry drivers.

Now Jacob Rees Mogg wants us to return to imperial weights and measures. Whilst some of us probably think in both, our children think in metric and manufacturers use metric. How much will it cost to change machinery etc. back to imperial?

What next? A return to £sd.

geeljay Mon 19-Sep-22 14:04:59

He also wants those working from home to go back to work. Perhaps start issuing passports and driving licences. Get Britain working and functioning again! Would even be nice to meet our G Ps again.

Whitewavemark2 Tue 20-Sep-22 08:29:30

Truss has admitted that there will be no trade deal with the USA

“The UK’s two largest trading partners are the EU & US. We deliberately sabotaged trade with the EU and, as a consequence of the way we did that, are not getting a US trade deal.

And the party that did both of those now bangs on about growth.

It’s all so bloody ridiculous.“

Whitewavemark2 Tue 20-Sep-22 08:36:32

Being interviewed in CNN former Director of Royal Communications at Buckingham Palace, Sally Osman, accidentally let slip that the Queen was pro EU.

In her Christmas Day speech, 2019, the Queen wore the same broach that she wore at the time of her address to the European Parliament. It represents the stars in the EU flag.

vampirequeen Tue 20-Sep-22 08:40:16

geeljay

He also wants those working from home to go back to work. Perhaps start issuing passports and driving licences. Get Britain working and functioning again! Would even be nice to meet our G Ps again.

What he wants and what he does are two different things. People who work from home are actually working. My DIL is a civil servant who works three days in the office and two days at home. She says she gets far more done on the two days at home because she is away from office distractions and managers stopping her doing what she should be doing to work on something else.

'Perhaps' isn't a definite worked out plan.

Britain is working. You make it sound as if everything is at a standstill.

There is a shortage of GPs in the UK. Increasing the number of GPs will improve your chance of getting an appointment. In order to do that they have to make being a GP more attractive to young doctors by improving their terms and conditions. Making those in an understaffed system work harder for less money is not going to attract people into the job. It is time efficient to triage GP appointments rather than having everyone go into the surgery. A lot of people's needs can be dealt with over the phone and that saves GP valuable time to give to those who need face to face time.

grannyrebel7 Tue 20-Sep-22 09:01:27

Brexit was one of the worst things that happened to our country. Usuallyright you're definitely Usuallywrong on this one as someone previously said. We now have a shortage of doctors, nurses, vets, construction workers, fruit pickers etc. We have to pay huge tariffs to trade with other EU countries and lorries are backed up at all the ports re the paperwork now required. You can no longer go to work or stay in EU countries for longer than 90 days at a time. Shall I go on? There are zero advantages of Brexit.

MaizieD Tue 20-Sep-22 09:02:48

Well said, VQ??

Fleurpepper Tue 20-Sep-22 09:10:09

geeljay

What Rees Mogg wants to do, is to abolish the Working Time Directive. That means forcing people, many in very dangerous jobs, or in nursing and doctoring, to work over 48 hrs a week.

You cannot remove this, and many other workers’ rights, if you are a member of the EU. This was a major reason why people like Rees Mogg wanted to leave.

I am especially sorry for people with dangerous jobs like drivers and warehouse workers, and for people - women - with childcare or caring responsibilities, because these things are going to really hit them most. Especially in the government’s charter cities which will basically be run by the Sheriff of Nottingham. If you voted for Brexit, you’ve literally allowed the Tories to reinstate the feudal system.

MaizieD Tue 20-Sep-22 09:14:15

If you voted for Brexit, you’ve literally allowed the Tories to reinstate the feudal system.

It falls on deaf ears...
People who voted for Brexit rarely bother to associate their vote with its consequences.

Fleurpepper Tue 20-Sep-22 09:24:52

Like all those expats in Spain, France and rest of EU who voted for Brexit but now bitterly complain their driving licences are no longer valid!

This was always the case, if non EU you have to retake your licence, unless a reciprocal arrangement was made by individual countries. They actually were given the chance to exchange their licences, but a large proportion did not bother, shouting 'we don't need to, we are British' ... and now go crazy about not being allowed to drive, or for many, continue to drive illegally and without valid insurance.

Allsorts Tue 20-Sep-22 09:28:12

We’re all doomed!

Whitewavemark2 Tue 20-Sep-22 09:29:46

Allsorts

We’re all doomed!

That was obvious from 2016.

silverlining48 Tue 20-Sep-22 09:42:47

Sorry usually right , you are definitely wrong this time. We are in a mess of our own making which has already been described upthread.

Normandygirl Tue 20-Sep-22 09:52:59

Latest figures from the ONS show that leaving the EU is costing the UK £450 million a week. That's another £100 million that the NHS won't be getting then. hmm