Gransnet forums

News & politics

Things King Charles might do

(269 Posts)
Daddima Fri 23-Sep-22 14:16:39

I was thinking that should the media be a bit slow in referring to Camilla as simply ‘The Queen’, I think he’ll start doing so. I also think he’ll do something to see him referred to as ‘ Defender of Faiths’, rather than ‘the faith’.
I was also wondering how Christmas will look without the Queen, as I think she was the one who wanted them all at Sandringham. Will the Sussexes be invited? Andrew? The Middletons? Camilla’s family? Strange how my mind works when I can’t sleep!

Callistemon21 Fri 23-Sep-22 15:03:14

Will he keep his beloved Highgrove with its lovely gardens - and will people still be able to visit?

Calendargirl Fri 23-Sep-22 15:28:55

Have no idea what the King is planning, as he has not consulted me!

But FWIW, perhaps Charles will start as he means to go on with his ‘slimmed down’ monarchy.

By that, with a view to Christmas, maybe he will have a gathering at Windsor for some of the ‘lesser’ royals, and Christmas itself, at Sandringham still I assume, will not be such a large number.

Perhaps many family members have only been going for so long to keep the Queen happy. Like many of us, with growing families of our own, times change, and what was acceptable years ago may not be really how we want to spend Christmas.

A smaller gathering in their own homes, with grandchildren and close family members, might be the (longed for) way forward.

And perhaps Camilla wants to spend the actual day with her own family.

Chestnut Fri 23-Sep-22 15:56:03

Slimming down the monarchy may be easier said than done. First we have Edward Duke of Kent and wife, Prince Michael of Kent and wife, Richard Duke of Gloucester, all descendants not of the Queen or even her father, but descendants of the Queen's uncles! Not a direct line at all.

The next branch to be pruned would be from the Princess Margaret line, again not a direct line. Three children and four grandchildren I believe.

Everyone else is actually descended from the Queen, but there are still quite a few there with four children and eight grandchildren, plus more.......

MissAdventure Fri 23-Sep-22 15:58:16

I think he'll slip the kids a few hundred each, and tell them that this year he and Camilla are going to her family for Christmas.

nexus63 Fri 23-Sep-22 16:13:29

i have been reading about the pampered prince who is now king and my thoughts on him have gone down, he sends a van with his furniture including bed, pictures his own toilet seat and toilet paper, he takes a breakfast box with him with 6 different kinds of honey, he needs his shoe laces ironed flat and a valet to put 1 inch of toothpaste on his toothbrush. i had great respect for the queen and thought she was a wonderful person, i can't say the same about the new king.

Anniebach Fri 23-Sep-22 16:17:58

Has his valet written a book ?

Aveline Fri 23-Sep-22 16:21:05

Ancient info about Prince Charles*nexus63*.
I've just read that Camilla might not bother to have ladies in waiting. I bet there'll be lots of changes over time but Charles will be thinking things through right now as he comes to terms with his loss and massive change in circumstances. Handing over the Duchy of Cornwall alone will be like handing over a complete business. Give him time.

biglouis Fri 23-Sep-22 16:27:25

I would like to see a much less formal and more economical Scandi type monarchy where they just show up for ceremonies but keep a pretty low key most of the time. However I doubt i will ever see Camilla shopping in Tesco.

JaneJudge Fri 23-Sep-22 16:34:40

i always carry a spare toilet roll in my handbag, it cant be that unusual

BlueBelle Fri 23-Sep-22 16:36:33

Blimey Nexus do you believe in Father Christmas and tooth fairies too and how the heck do you know the queen didn’t have all those things done for her as well ???
Some nonsense press has been rumouring like they always do not the Mail or Sun by any chance ?

I would bet Camilla probably has shopped in Tesco
I would love to see a much much much smaller less costly RF
Charles camilla William and Kate that ll do the rest can get a job and look after themselves I d have a lot more interest and respect for them if they did that

Chestnut Fri 23-Sep-22 16:57:23

nexus63

i have been reading about the pampered prince who is now king and my thoughts on him have gone down, he sends a van with his furniture including bed, pictures his own toilet seat and toilet paper, he takes a breakfast box with him with 6 different kinds of honey, he needs his shoe laces ironed flat and a valet to put 1 inch of toothpaste on his toothbrush. i had great respect for the queen and thought she was a wonderful person, i can't say the same about the new king.

How they love the gullible public who believe everything they read. ???

sodapop Fri 23-Sep-22 16:59:11

Were some of those stories about the King from the honest and non self seeking butler Paul Burrell Nexus

I agree about the slimmed down family BlueBelle but I would include Princess Anne as well, she works very hard without a lot of fanfare.

Blondiescot Fri 23-Sep-22 17:29:59

Nope, still can't hear King Charles without tacking spaniel onto the end...

Anniebach Fri 23-Sep-22 17:37:53

I am curious as to how princess Margaret’s children can be
.pruned, and why, they live private lives, should they not
attend family funerals and weddings ?

lemsip Fri 23-Sep-22 17:40:19

princess margaret's children do attend family weddings and funerals!

Callistemon21 Fri 23-Sep-22 17:40:38

Chestnut

Slimming down the monarchy may be easier said than done. First we have Edward Duke of Kent and wife, Prince Michael of Kent and wife, Richard Duke of Gloucester, all descendants not of the Queen or even her father, but descendants of the Queen's uncles! Not a direct line at all.

The next branch to be pruned would be from the Princess Margaret line, again not a direct line. Three children and four grandchildren I believe.

Everyone else is actually descended from the Queen, but there are still quite a few there with four children and eight grandchildren, plus more.......

They don't receive public money, just expenses if they perform any duties.

How do you propose to prune them?

I am puzzled.

Prune
To chop off
Surely not? We're more civilised now, surely?

Callistemon21 Fri 23-Sep-22 17:41:39

Blondiescot

Nope, still can't hear King Charles without tacking spaniel onto the end...

Oh don't, I do too
Especially since our neighbours have one (he's gorgeous)

Callistemon21 Fri 23-Sep-22 17:42:35

biglouis

I would like to see a much less formal and more economical Scandi type monarchy where they just show up for ceremonies but keep a pretty low key most of the time. However I doubt i will ever see Camilla shopping in Tesco.

No, apparently she likes Sainsbury's.

Aveline Fri 23-Sep-22 17:52:46

DS has met Camilla in a workplace and was unexpectedly impressed. She was apparently so friendly and interested that everyone liked her. Very natural and down to earth.

Daddima Fri 23-Sep-22 17:54:44

Nexus one of the royal correspondents ( I think it was Ingrid Seward) was one of the royal documentaries saying that the toilet seat story was nonsense, though I think she did say he had his own mattress when possible because of his bad back!
There’s a former chef, Darren McGready, who seems to have had plenty to say about the royals since he moved to America, like Charles having two plums at breakfast every morning, but only ever eating one.

imaround Fri 23-Sep-22 18:04:50

Callistemon21

Chestnut

I am puzzled.

Prune
To chop off

I was about to ask if these distant family members receive money from taxpayers?

Pruning family members makes it sound like Charles is going to cut everyone off and isolate himself from everyone but William and Catherine.

dolphindaisy Fri 23-Sep-22 19:58:26

I think he should do away with bowing and curtseying, really no place for that in this day and age. I believe the family had to do this even if they met the Queen in private in her own home .

Chestnut Fri 23-Sep-22 23:45:57

Anniebach

I am curious as to how princess Margaret’s children can be
.pruned, and why, they live private lives, should they not
attend family funerals and weddings ?

Ha ha, maybe 'pruned' was not the right word. Everyone seems to want the Royal tree to be cut back, I was just speculating on which branches that would apply to (sticking to the tree analogy). I guess it's up to the King to wield the secateurs.

Callistemon21 Fri 23-Sep-22 23:55:04

imaround

Callistemon21

Chestnut

I am puzzled.

Prune
To chop off

I was about to ask if these distant family members receive money from taxpayers?

Pruning family members makes it sound like Charles is going to cut everyone off and isolate himself from everyone but William and Catherine.

No, they don't receive any money from the public purse, imaround.
Edward, Duke of Kent mentioned in the post above, is 86. I'm not sure if he still carries out any duties but I certainly saw him just pre-Covid at an official event. His wife is 89, hasn't carried out Royal duties for over 20 years and in fact taught piano.

The others mentioned in Chestnut's post all pursue their own careers.

A lot of misinformation persists.