Gransnet forums

News & politics

General Election anyone?

(17 Posts)
Daisymae Thu 29-Sep-22 10:25:27

petition.parliament.uk/petitions/619781

Whitewavemark2 Thu 29-Sep-22 10:46:58

What is going to finish them is the mortgage issue, but they will never call a general election as they know that they will be out of power and hopefully out of power for years.

Neither do I think that they will get rid of Truss as the country will never tolerate yet another PM not chosen by a GE.m

Whitewavemark2 Thu 29-Sep-22 11:03:51

I think the other thing to give consideration to is the fact Truss and Kwarteng are umbilically tied regarding the economy and their ideology, which is why Truss cannot get rid of Kwarteng.

Casdon Thu 29-Sep-22 11:03:59

If they don’t back down on the mini budget, which there is no sign of them doing, I think what will finish them will be strikes and civil unrest, and I think it will be sooner rather than later. If one of the consequences of the mini budget is reduced spending on public services, and they don’t raise benefits it’s going to be less than a year.

Daddima Thu 29-Sep-22 11:24:14

Can anyone tell me what the procedure would be now for calling an election? Presumably it would need to be initiated by Parliament, and surely with the large Conservative majority that woudn’t happen? Another ‘ no confidence’ vote?

Grandmabatty Thu 29-Sep-22 11:25:48

Apparently Truss cannot be ousted in her first year as PM. It's a Westminster rule. Which doesn't inspire me with happiness.

Deedaa Thu 29-Sep-22 11:33:40

So the chap from the Treasury who was interviewed today was still harping on about people "only" having to pay £2,500 for energy. They seem unable to comprehend that for many people that is still an impossible amount of money. Couple that with unaffordable mortgages (and remember that private renters will find their rents going up to cover their landlord's mortgage) and rising food prices and you have to wonder how long they will survive.

Whitewavemark2 Thu 29-Sep-22 11:34:05

Does anyone know if we have ever had a government that has collapsed?

Callistemon21 Thu 29-Sep-22 11:37:18

Whitewavemark2

Johnson's Government was described as a collapsed government in some publications.

Prentice Thu 29-Sep-22 11:38:12

Perhaps we should ask Brenda from Bristol.

Urmstongran Thu 29-Sep-22 11:38:36

Truss & Kwarteng will want to ride this out and (hopefully) see an upturn in the economy. Truss has only a small window of opportunity and she knows this is a drawback for her.

That said no-one knows what’s going to happen with gas prices on the open market.

Casdon Thu 29-Sep-22 11:42:35

Gas is very vulnerable, I read something yesterday about the risk of sabotage in the North Sea oilfields, the Russians have already damaged one of the Norwegian pipelines.
www.euronews.com/2022/09/28/norway-and-denmark-tighten-security-around-energy-infrastructure-after-pipeline-attack

Mamardoit Thu 29-Sep-22 11:46:07

Whitewavemark2

1978/9 the winter of discontent? That must be the closest in recent times I guess.

Then 19 years of the tories.

Normandygirl Thu 29-Sep-22 12:12:47

Casdon

If they don’t back down on the mini budget, which there is no sign of them doing, I think what will finish them will be strikes and civil unrest, and I think it will be sooner rather than later. If one of the consequences of the mini budget is reduced spending on public services, and they don’t raise benefits it’s going to be less than a year.

Ministers have already announced that benefits will not be going up in line with inflation as promised by Sunak . Apparently, the country cannot afford it after the tax cuts.

Aveline Thu 29-Sep-22 12:35:15

Yes. General election asap.

Charleygirl5 Thu 29-Sep-22 12:40:20

With any luck, Truss will not be voted by her constituency again. Boris will definitely not be. I live in a constituency next to his and he is not popular and has not been for ages there.

Daddima Thu 29-Sep-22 15:16:40

Deedaa

So the chap from the Treasury who was interviewed today was still harping on about people "only" having to pay £2,500 for energy. They seem unable to comprehend that for many people that is still an impossible amount of money. Couple that with unaffordable mortgages (and remember that private renters will find their rents going up to cover their landlord's mortgage) and rising food prices and you have to wonder how long they will survive.

The £2,500 is only for the unit price for an ‘average’ household.

From Fact Check-

This figure refers to the maximum amount a “typical” household will pay, based on average energy usage. Depending on property type and energy usage, some households will pay more than this, although some will pay less.