Gransnet forums

News & politics

Is Liz Truss lying or just ignorant of her own policies?

(147 Posts)
vegansrock Fri 30-Sep-22 06:58:11

Apologies if this is being discussed elsewhere - I couldn’t find it, but think it deserved its own thread. On local radio she said
“Through the energy price guarantee, the maximum will be £2,500” (Radio Leeds)
and also said
“no family, no household will pay over £2,500” (CNN)
This is wrong and could lull some into a false state of security. This is just the average household use. The total bill is not capped, if you leave your heating on full blast day and night you will pay more than £2,500. If you consume less, you will pay less. Is she deliberately misleading or does she not understand her own policies? Why did no sharp interviewer pull her up on this one?

Daisymae Fri 30-Sep-22 07:21:09

Both are quite possible

Dickens Fri 30-Sep-22 07:31:58

... choice of wording. On her part. Deliberately or otherwise - but it is misleading, she means the cap, not the bill.

To me, she talks like a programmed robot - well, I guess to some extent she is programmed. By the ERG and Tufton St.

I cannot listen to her (I have to read about what she says); something about her mien grates my nerves. She appears to be channelling her inner Thatcher, though doesn't have the authority of the latter. I find her voice dull and monotonous. She has the tenacity of a cultist though. And she overuses the words "deliver" and "delivering".

Dickens Fri 30-Sep-22 10:04:14

www.msn.com/en-gb/money/other/energy-bills-liz-truss-s-false-2-500-price-cap-claim-left-personal-finance-experts-reeling/ar-AA12o6P9?ocid=msedgdhp&pc=U531&cvid=9dd29b8e934e4861aa67200473d53ab5

vegansrock

You aren't the only one who has picked this up... others agree with you!

Normandygirl Fri 30-Sep-22 10:30:53

Lying or ignorant? That's an unfair question as she seems to have both qualities in equal abundance.

Boz Fri 30-Sep-22 10:37:49

www.thetimes.co.uk/article/2a26b242-4009-11ed-b24d-96120f17513d?shareToken=0f44ffd08861b7a6fafc4cd2ab47cecf

This is hilarious; laugh of the day.

Urmstongran Fri 30-Sep-22 10:42:20

The best thing I can say about Liz Truss is that she passionately wants the UK to do well. She is fired up with enthusiasm. I’m not convinced however that she has the intellectual heft to carry it all through. It’s a big ask in these very uncertain times. This financial uncertainty is world wide. I just hope she has some big hitters to help her this next two years. We are in for a very bumpy ride. Shame the BoE didn’t raise interest rates under Carney then Bailey by small incremental measures. This is a perfect storm brewing. I’m just not sure about Liz Truss. She’s like a Head Girl. All jolly hockey sticks and let’s just work harder. Hmm.

Whitewavemark2 Fri 30-Sep-22 10:49:49

With regards to the price cap - it is certainly ignorance.

The worrying thing is the fact that she was nearly the author of a complete collapse of our pensions yesterday - saved by the BoE. To say that it is the fault of Putin and world economy is a lie.

choughdancer Fri 30-Sep-22 10:53:09

Boz

www.thetimes.co.uk/article/2a26b242-4009-11ed-b24d-96120f17513d?shareToken=0f44ffd08861b7a6fafc4cd2ab47cecf

Brilliant! Thanks Boz.

Urmstongran Fri 30-Sep-22 10:55:28

That’s the BoE’s job. I think they’ve taken their eye off the ball. Too complacent.

Yes I agree Liz Truss ought to have explained better that the £2.5k was the cap. If households use more than that they will pay more.

Urmstongran Fri 30-Sep-22 10:57:28

I opened your link Boz.
Here it is.

Whitewavemark2 Fri 30-Sep-22 10:58:57

Urmstongran

That’s the BoE’s job. I think they’ve taken their eye off the ball. Too complacent.

Yes I agree Liz Truss ought to have explained better that the £2.5k was the cap. If households use more than that they will pay more.

Oh ug ??

M0nica Fri 30-Sep-22 11:01:14

I am a believer in the cock-up version of history rather than being a conspiracy theorist.

I just think that sLiz Truss didn't have a clue what she was talking about and doesn't understand her own policies.

Listening to the R4 yesterday I heard a discussion programme about the crisis, one of the people involved was a reitred Deputy Governor of the Bank of England. Essentially he said that Truss and Kwarteng are unintersted in any help and advice from anywhere.

They are downplaying the televance of bodies like the more or less independent Office of Budgetary Responsibility set up by George Osborne to scrutinise all government financial policy and run it against the known figures and advise when they think it is dodgy. I understand that it has a good record in getting its forecasts right.

Any way T & K are ignoring it, and not consulting it, because they know darn well, that if they did, they would not like what the OBR says.

Alie2Oxon Fri 30-Sep-22 11:02:29

Here's a really scary article from the Guardian today....

www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2022/sep/30/environmental-destruction-is-part-of-liz-trusss-plan

Whitewavemark2 Fri 30-Sep-22 11:03:27

They are in a meeting with the OBR as we post.

Why they need a meeting I’m not quite sure.

The OBR has the analyses ready, - what is there to discuss unless they are trying to persuade them to present more favourable figures?

annodomini Fri 30-Sep-22 12:03:37

The price cap is not the only instance of her ignorance. I heard her saying that the cancellation of the National Insurance tax increase would benefit 'everybody'. She obviously does not know (or want to know) that those of us in receipt of the retirement pension do not pay National Insurance and thus would receive no benefit from this cancellation.

DaisyAnne Fri 30-Sep-22 12:10:25

Urmstongran

The best thing I can say about Liz Truss is that she passionately wants the UK to do well. She is fired up with enthusiasm. I’m not convinced however that she has the intellectual heft to carry it all through. It’s a big ask in these very uncertain times. This financial uncertainty is world wide. I just hope she has some big hitters to help her this next two years. We are in for a very bumpy ride. Shame the BoE didn’t raise interest rates under Carney then Bailey by small incremental measures. This is a perfect storm brewing. I’m just not sure about Liz Truss. She’s like a Head Girl. All jolly hockey sticks and let’s just work harder. Hmm.

The woman is without empathy. She no more wants the country to do well than I want to go bungy jumping. When will you learn to question your bias?

They are arrogant, both of them. The idea that they know more than experts is quite ridiculous. They look down on the "common" worker and only recognise wealth - however it has been obtained.

Like their predecessors, they are both lying and ignorant. Lying, when they blame anyone and anything but this government. Ignorant when they think they know better than experts, although that seems to be a problem many have.

Government is not a game Urmstongran. Playing at Head Girl or anything else is ruining people's lives, their futures, the country's reputation and consequently our ability to do well in the world.

Luckygirl3 Fri 30-Sep-22 12:15:46

Essentially he said that Truss and Kwarteng are unintersted in any help and advice from anywhere.

I agree with that - they have decided on their furrow and are ploughing on regardless of the misery in their wake. And oblivious of their own ignorance.

DaisyAnne Fri 30-Sep-22 12:28:21

All you can wonder is how much damage she can do before she is got rid of.

Urmstongran Fri 30-Sep-22 12:29:45

When will you learn to question your bias?
After you, Daisyanne!
?

M0nica Fri 30-Sep-22 12:41:16

DaisyAnne you are in no place to criticise other people fortheir supposed bias, when you rown sticks out so far it trips people up.

M0nica Fri 30-Sep-22 12:41:48

....and I am totally opposed this government and the clowns that lead it.

Dickens Fri 30-Sep-22 12:43:12

Boz

... I can't stop quacking chuckling! ?? oops!

Callistemon21 Fri 30-Sep-22 12:44:23

Luckygirl3

*Essentially he said that Truss and Kwarteng are unintersted in any help and advice from anywhere.*

I agree with that - they have decided on their furrow and are ploughing on regardless of the misery in their wake. And oblivious of their own ignorance.

they have decided on their furrow and are ploughing on regardless of the misery in their wake

Sowing seeds of discontent

Normandygirl Fri 30-Sep-22 12:48:24

Urmstongran
"The best thing I can say about Liz Truss is that she passionately wants the UK to do well. She is fired up with enthusiasm."

She was passionate about remaining in the EU
She was passionate about the environment
She was a passionate republican
She was passionate about centre ground politics when a Lib Dem
Can you see a pattern?
Neil Fawcett said of her-;
" I think she is someone who plays to the gallery with whatever audience she is talking to, and I genuinely don’t know if she ever believes anything she says, then or now.”