Gransnet forums

News & politics

Sir Keir Starmer

(129 Posts)
Whitewavemark2 Fri 30-Sep-22 10:58:00

Listening to so many comments, especially voting Tories, it is so heartening to hear these folk saying how much they like Starmer as a man, and as life long Tory voters will vote for him in the next election.

His honesty and integrity is winning through and I am so pleased. At long last the U.K. stands a chance of reversing the corruption, incompetence and dreadful world wide reputation.

Ilovecheese Fri 30-Sep-22 10:59:29

Yes, he is trying hard to please lifelong Tory voters.

MawtheMerrier Fri 30-Sep-22 10:59:40

He is looking eminently electable - something the left wing now the Labour Party seem to have missed up to now.
If there was an Election tomorrow or would be a bloodbath!
Can’t the Tories see?

Whitewavemark2 Fri 30-Sep-22 11:01:15

Ilovecheese

Yes, he is trying hard to please lifelong Tory voters.

You missed my point. I am talking about Starmer as a man - not his policies.

Germanshepherdsmum Fri 30-Sep-22 11:03:03

But there won’t be an election tomorrow. And no matter how much Starmer tries to appeal to Tory voters, do you think they will be similarly enamoured with some of his shadow cabinet, especially his deputy?

Whitewavemark2 Fri 30-Sep-22 11:05:56

Germanshepherdsmum

But there won’t be an election tomorrow. And no matter how much Starmer tries to appeal to Tory voters, do you think they will be similarly enamoured with some of his shadow cabinet, especially his deputy?

She wasn’t mentioned. It is Starmer that they are so impressed with, and translating into votes.

33 point lead - snapshot - must translate into votes from Tory voters. Of course it will change, but I still think the Tories are toast.

Blossoming Fri 30-Sep-22 11:05:58

I agree WWM2. I know he isn’t everybody’s cup of tea but I’d feel safer if he was PM. Liz Truss is frighteningly reckless.

Anniebach Fri 30-Sep-22 11:09:09

Starmer is trying to appeal to life long tory voters ?

Corbyn failed to appeal to life long Labour voters.

Glorianny Fri 30-Sep-22 11:16:01

I'm not sure about him either as a man or as a politician. He may be attracting Tory voters but that's nothing to boast about looking at their last 2 choices. More seriously he leads a party with major financial problems, some of which he certainly contributed to. I'm not sure that's shows he is as responsible as he seems.

Daisymae Fri 30-Sep-22 11:17:55

Totally agree. Truss has no mandate. This is not going to end well.

Whitewavemark2 Fri 30-Sep-22 11:18:28

With pensions under threat - which are not out of the woods yet - Tories will not tolerate this.

MayBee70 Fri 30-Sep-22 11:21:45

Glorianny

I'm not sure about him either as a man or as a politician. He may be attracting Tory voters but that's nothing to boast about looking at their last 2 choices. More seriously he leads a party with major financial problems, some of which he certainly contributed to. I'm not sure that's shows he is as responsible as he seems.

Isn’t it better that a party stands on its political ideology not by how many rich backers ( with their own personal financial interests) they have.

grannyrebel7 Fri 30-Sep-22 11:23:42

Yes, I think in time Keir Starmer will be regarded as a great statesman and politician. Go Keir your time is coming! smile

Prentice Fri 30-Sep-22 11:25:37

I realise that you are optimistic Whitewavemark2 but there is such a long way to go yet that snap polls are very unreliable indeed.
I have always thought Mr Starmer a good choice for leader and also for PM but yes, it has to be said that there would be little appetite from Conservative voters for those around him.
When it comes to an actual general election people usually stay loyal to their party.Still, it is good that people recognise his qualities from outside the Labour party, especially as many within the Labour party do not.

MaizieD Fri 30-Sep-22 11:33:14

it has to be said that there would be little appetite from Conservative voters for those around him.

I'm not sure that all tory voters as such arrant snobs as some posters on here.

When you think of the mediocrities who Johnson and Truss surrounded themselves with such snobbery is utterly laughable.

Aveline Fri 30-Sep-22 11:34:47

I'm so impressed by Starmer. Not flashy or populist looking for any photo opportunity going just quietly and firmly looking like a grown up! If only there could be an election tomorrow.

Anniebach Fri 30-Sep-22 11:36:58

People didn’t stay loyal to their party at the last two elections,
Labour had the worse defeat since 1935

Prentice Fri 30-Sep-22 11:39:00

Not snobbery, just people doubting the quality of some of the present shadow cabinet from all I have read.There is no such doubt about Mr Starmer though.

Prentice Fri 30-Sep-22 11:40:35

Very true Anniebach although there were two good reasons for this do you not think? Mr Corbyn and Brexit.

Callistemon21 Fri 30-Sep-22 11:41:49

Would Starmer have to appeal to traditional Tory voters?

There must be a vast swathe of the electorate who have voted Labour in the past, the so-called floating voters, those whose votes often decide the result of general elections.

Anniebach Fri 30-Sep-22 11:45:09

Agree Prentice I wonder if the brexit vote would have been
different if Corbyn had taken part in the campaign

MaizieD Fri 30-Sep-22 11:45:34

Prentice

Not snobbery, just people doubting the quality of some of the present shadow cabinet from all I have read.There is no such doubt about Mr Starmer though.

No, Prentice, it's snobbery, pure and simple.

Prentice Fri 30-Sep-22 11:49:08

You cannot know that MaizieD it is your own thoughts on the matter.

Yes possibly Anniebach but what was called the Corbyn factor on the doorstep was no doubt too strong.

Prentice Fri 30-Sep-22 11:50:21

Hopefully Labour will win the next election, you could say in fact, how could they fail?

Anniebach Fri 30-Sep-22 11:50:27

Yet there is much criticism of anyone who went to Eaton