Gransnet forums

News & politics

Eddie Izzard

(511 Posts)
GrannyMack246 Sat 01-Oct-22 17:43:00

A witness account -
thecritic.co.uk/eddie-izzard-uses-the-ladies-loo-in-sheffield/

Sarah74 Sat 01-Oct-22 17:56:59

Oh, that’s very disappointing - I used to really like him. Saw his show a couple of times years ago. Not impressed with this ridiculous posturing shock

GrannySomerset Sat 01-Oct-22 18:02:05

Jean Hatchet is right. Hard-won rights are threatened by such behaviour and it should be called out.

Blossoming Sat 01-Oct-22 18:24:57

Ugh! He shouldn’t be in there and he definitely shouldn’t be taking photos.

volver Sat 01-Oct-22 18:30:25

Who was taking photos? You might want to check that Blossoming.

merlotgran Sat 01-Oct-22 18:30:28

I used to like Eddie Izzard but he’s starting to get on my nerves.

JaneJudge Sat 01-Oct-22 18:33:00

It looks like Anne Hegerty was taking the photos

volver Sat 01-Oct-22 18:36:09

Anne Hegerty? Now I am lost. ?

Away to watch Strictly.

icanhandthemback Sat 01-Oct-22 18:39:44

I don't have a problem with Eddie Izzard using a cubicle in the ladies toilets providing he sits down and leaves it clean. I somehow doubt he is a prolific sex offender or is bothered by what the other women using the facilities are doing. However, I do think the facilities should be completely contained so that there can be no means of any funny business and that women (of either sex) are safe.
What I'd like to see is that the conversation is had that women are protected from deviants and a blue print for any premises offering mixed sex toilets so that women can feel safe. Anybody using Disabled toilets will have been "sharing" their toilet for years.

growstuff Sat 01-Oct-22 18:43:03

The pictures were taken by somebody called Jean Hatchet, who describes herself as a radical feminist activist.

growstuff Sat 01-Oct-22 18:44:07

thecritic.co.uk/author/jean-hatchet/

Mollygo Sat 01-Oct-22 18:51:34

icanhandthemback
I don't have a problem with Eddie Izzard using a cubicle in the ladies toilets
I do.
Why would he, apart from proving that he could. Then you get other equally stupid and pathetic but possibly more dangerous males using the excuse that “Eddie Izzard did it.”
Probably his career is going downhill and he needs the publicity. He’d get more publicity if said how wrong it was.

Ilovecheese Sat 01-Oct-22 18:57:39

Well one problem might be that Muslim women would not then feel that they could use the women's lavatories and would be less likely to attend the event.
Eddie Izzard must know that, and not care. This makes me wonder whether he is a suitable candidate for politics, particularly in areas where either Muslim or Orthodox Jewish women live.

Chestnut Sat 01-Oct-22 18:59:00

I had a feeling about Eddie Izzard many years ago, that 'something' would happen in the future. I couldn't say what, but I knew it was coming. Sometimes I find myself with a sixth sense about certain people and he was one of them.

As the article says, he has been a transvestite for years and swapping between male and female when it suits him, but now decides he wants to be called a woman. Because that suits him. Until he decides to swap back presumably.

JaneJudge Sat 01-Oct-22 19:13:39

he is a proper attention seeker that's for sure

Blossoming Sat 01-Oct-22 19:15:51

volver

Who was taking photos? You might want to check that Blossoming.

My dodgy eyeballs! I thought he had a phone. I still don’t think he should be in there.

I know and like Jean Hatchet but I don’t think she should be taking photos in there either. It’s an invasion of privacy.

HowVeryDareYou Sat 01-Oct-22 19:19:26

Eddie Izzard shouldn't have been allowed to use a women's toilet, because he's a MAN. No amount of cross-dressing or telling people he wants to be known as a woman will change that.

eazybee Sat 01-Oct-22 19:35:23

A stupid man.

FarNorth Sat 01-Oct-22 19:48:54

Blossoming the photo was taken outside the toilet while Jean Hatchet was seated, along with about 300 other people, waiting for the event to start.

It seems unlikely that there was no backstage toilet he could have used, rather than be the focus of attention like that.

Jan Hatchet wrote -

"The loss of women’s rights starts with looking the other way for an Eddie Izzard and ends with a society that doesn’t flinch at placing a male sex offender in jail with women. They are two ends of the same gender stick. Not all trans identified men are violent offenders, but some are. Because of this we must exclude all men from those spaces designated as single-sex for the safety, privacy and dignity of women. We don’t need to make exceptions for Eddie Izzard or any other celebrity. Or any other man, because Eddie Izzard is a man."

Mollygo Sat 01-Oct-22 20:02:01

Well said Jan Hatchet.

JaneJudge Sat 01-Oct-22 20:31:41

I agree with her too
Honestly, he is a celebrity why does he have to posture like this and take safety away not only from women but vulnerable women in minority groups. I have had wine but I'm sick of it. It is a sub section of male privilege

JaneJudge Sat 01-Oct-22 20:35:34

btw the woman who is close to the camera looked like Anne Hegerty grin before anyone thinks I've lost the plot completely. Anne has magnificent mammary glands though, the size of Luxembourg so I don't think it really was her (and I'm sure she would agree with me)

Callistemon21 Sat 01-Oct-22 20:40:05

I don't have a problem with Eddie Izzard using a cubicle in the ladies toilets providing he sits down and leaves it clean. I somehow doubt he is a prolific sex offender

That misses the point.
Eddie may not be but another man might be and Eddie could be setting a precedent.

FarNorth Sat 01-Oct-22 20:46:00

The woman close to the camera was Julie Bindel, who was mentioned in the article.

Glorianny Sat 01-Oct-22 20:46:59

I have used a men's toilet when the women's queue was long. I almost did it again at the airport last week, but the men had a queue as well. Should I be banned?
As for the article. Eddie Izzard may have millions, but she earned that money. She was one of the first comedians to manage and run her own shows and play arenas so she made more.
As far as being a candidate for Parliament she has a long and successful history of working for the Labour Party, so this is the logical next step
Eddie has also raised thousands for charity running marathons.
By all means criticise the gender choice she has made, but if you have to do so why not acknowledge the achievements of the person you are writing about? If the only way you can garner support is by character assassination it really doesn't say much about your beliefs.