Gransnet forums

News & politics

Liz Truss has told King Charles not to go to the COP27 meeting next month

(183 Posts)
Alie2Oxon Sun 02-Oct-22 10:01:49

This is what I have just heard said on the BBC 9am news. And yes, they used the word 'told'.

It isn't on their website. It's considerably toned down on the Guardian website. The mirror is even stronger - 'Liz Truss orders King Charles not to attend COP27 climate summit."

What the hell is going on here?

Whitewavemark2 Sun 02-Oct-22 10:04:28

Truss will not allow Charles to put out a contradictory message to her fundamental beliefs.

Alie2Oxon Sun 02-Oct-22 10:08:57

Try this for her fundamental beliefs:

www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2022/sep/30/environmental-destruction-is-part-of-liz-trusss-plan

BigBertha1 Sun 02-Oct-22 10:09:56

I read that the Palace asked for her advice re attendance or not. I also read that neither of them are going.

Lucca Sun 02-Oct-22 10:10:17

He doesn’t look too thrilled

CatsCatsCats Sun 02-Oct-22 10:10:37

I can't believe he's taken any notice of her.

volver Sun 02-Oct-22 10:12:29

I read that it was briefed to the press by a senior palace insider. Hope that was Charles himself!

Alie2Oxon Sun 02-Oct-22 10:41:53

The Opposition is allowed to put out opposing beliefs - as they were doing over last weekend. The general public is allowed to publish opposing beliefs...but not the King?

Glorianny Sun 02-Oct-22 10:42:23

Oh I hope he goes. After all what will she do if he ignores her? Stand him in the corner? Give him lines to do? Honestly she's unbelievable.

Glorianny Sun 02-Oct-22 10:49:08

I've just realised that much as I hate the RF if it came to it I'd back Charles not Truss!!!

Whitewavemark2 Sun 02-Oct-22 10:57:11

The battle lines are being drawn up.

I’m backing Charles - but I fear he will lose

Alie2Oxon Sun 02-Oct-22 11:01:35

In any case, this is not a political belief, is it? It's a global problem and not a political one.

In the latest poll I've found (YouGov, April '22) 71% of the public accept that it's happening and 65% are worried.

Whitewavemark2 Sun 02-Oct-22 11:03:12

Alie2Oxon

In any case, this is not a political belief, is it? It's a global problem and not a political one.

In the latest poll I've found (YouGov, April '22) 71% of the public accept that it's happening and 65% are worried.

But once Truss her cohorts and the press line up against him, Charles won’t stand a chance.

henetha Sun 02-Oct-22 11:07:39

Well, this was on the BBC website this morning. -
"With mutual friendship and respect there was agreement that the King would not attend," the Palace stated.
I bet the King finds it very galling though to not attend a matter so important to him and for which he has fought for many years. And to be advised by someone like Liz Truss!
Of course he should go. I hope he does.

MaizieD Sun 02-Oct-22 11:09:54

Alie2Oxon

I'm afraid that it is a political belief and the monarch is supposed to be apolitical.

OTOH, if he is backed by nearly three quarters of the population one wonders if it could be what sparks off the Revolution grin

That would be interesting, wouldn't it? The monarch starting a revolution against his own government...

Whitewavemark2 Sun 02-Oct-22 11:11:39

MaizieD

Alie2Oxon

I'm afraid that it is a political belief and the monarch is supposed to be apolitical.

OTOH, if he is backed by nearly three quarters of the population one wonders if it could be what sparks off the Revolution grin

That would be interesting, wouldn't it? The monarch starting a revolution against his own government...

?? I would join.

What a turn up for the books that would be

Aldom Sun 02-Oct-22 11:20:19

Lucca

So disrespectful of her. Condescending too. No one touched the Queen in that way., or at all.

Doodledog Sun 02-Oct-22 11:29:48

Aldom

Lucca

So disrespectful of her. Condescending too. No one touched the Queen in that way., or at all.

That struck me too.

Not that I'm advocating total deference, but come on! I wouldn't want a stranger touching me like that on first acquaintance. And less so if they were telling me what I could and couldn't do.

Alie2Oxon Sun 02-Oct-22 11:31:53

I'm working this out as I go on:

Actually, it isn't a political belief - but she is making it one, for her own ends!

Caleo Sun 02-Oct-22 11:34:35

This going to align most people behind the King, on this occasion anyway, and may be as a sign that King Charles generally is a good egg.

Callistemon21 Sun 02-Oct-22 11:36:22

That would be interesting, wouldn't it? The monarch starting a revolution against his own government ...

He is Head of the Armed Forces.

Now, everyone who thought the uniforms rather Ruritanian might think again and be rather glad ?

volver Sun 02-Oct-22 11:37:47

I don't want armed insurrection. Just a GE to start with. wink

Callistemon21 Sun 02-Oct-22 11:39:26

That's not as exciting

Battle lines are being drawn.

Caleo Sun 02-Oct-22 11:39:27

Calistemon! Ruritania is quite possibly where I learned my earliest political affiliations.

Callistemon21 Sun 02-Oct-22 11:39:46

?