Gransnet forums

News & politics

£18bn cuts to public services

(212 Posts)
Whitewavemark2 Mon 03-Oct-22 10:36:40

This will have an extraordinary affect on the NHS and education.

What are they thinking!

Casdon Mon 03-Oct-22 10:39:21

The Winter of Discontent looms ever closer.

LtEve Mon 03-Oct-22 10:52:19

Why on earth don’t they cancel HS2? That’s forecast to cost another £60bn at least.

Ilovecheese Mon 03-Oct-22 10:59:50

Because HS2 is a vanity project and they want to deliberately downgrade the NHS so that they can say that there is no alternative to selling it off to the private sector, particularly hospitals on very valuable real estate.
The party of the small state and low taxes.

Septimia Mon 03-Oct-22 11:31:31

I, too, think they should cancel HS2. It doesn't reach the true north of the country for a start. The environmental damage is horrendous. And would saving 20 minutes (or whatever) really stop anyone travelling north or south for business or pleasure? Utter waste of money.

The NHS and education are far more important.

LizzieDrip Mon 03-Oct-22 11:32:05

Today we are witnessing the death of the NHS, free at the point of need.

“Society becomes more wholesome, more serene, and spiritually healthier, if it knows that its citizens have at the back of their consciousness the knowledge that not only themselves, but all their fellows, have access, when ill, to the best that medical skill can provide.” A. Bevan

Today is a sad day for our entire society.

Ilovecheese Mon 03-Oct-22 11:45:35

Totally agree LizzieDrip

Katie59 Mon 03-Oct-22 11:47:59

The cuts to public services will be much more than £18bn I’m sure the aim is to reduce what is available on the NHS, basic healthcare will stay anything more will be severely restricted.

MaizieD Mon 03-Oct-22 12:11:59

Well, if people won't challenge the lie that taxation funds spending; or even give the idea a bit of consideration, what else do you expect?

The real sadness of this is that the only thing that is going to pull us out of the economic mess that we're in is increased state spending because I can't see meaningful investment coming from any other source.

I have explained the reasoning behind my assertions many, many times. Do I have to do it again ( Noooooooooo, I hear the cry go up grin )

Babamaman Mon 03-Oct-22 12:16:23

Unfortunately this government isn’t thinking! S long as their rich friends and investment bankers are all OK they really don’t care about our NHS! All that fake care (clapping on Thursdays) during covid! They don’t care about our overworked police! Or stressed our teachers! It’s horrendous!

Oldbat1 Mon 03-Oct-22 12:18:25

HS2 is a total waste of money and should never have been started. The environmental damage is unforgivable for what realistic benefit? The nhs and education are far more important.

MaizieD Mon 03-Oct-22 12:22:09

Oldbat1

HS2 is a total waste of money and should never have been started. The environmental damage is unforgivable for what realistic benefit? The nhs and education are far more important.

At least it's keeping some people in work, Oldbat1. This is not, IMO, a good time to be throwing them into the benefits system... Especially if the DWP is going to have an at least 10% real terms cut in funding....

Grantanow Mon 03-Oct-22 13:01:30

Tell your Tory MP he needs to tell Brady to change the rules to get rid of the Truss liability.

Whitewavemark2 Mon 03-Oct-22 13:18:35

This is what a small state looks like we are gradually working our way towards it.

The big thing will be the sell off of the NHS - there isn’t much else left.

Small state, low regulation, low tax, individual responsibility (so sort yourself out if you run into unlucky times) it isn’t the state responsibility to provide any form of safety net.

LizzieDrip Mon 03-Oct-22 13:40:02

WW2 so true! Personally I don’t want the 1p tax cut on basic rate. I think it will make little difference to most people’s incomes, and the money would be better used in funding the NHS. I think many people would willingly pay more tax in order to fund the NHS. Without it we would all have to buy private health insurance so would be far worse off.

Ilovecheese Mon 03-Oct-22 13:42:57

That is their intention though, they have never wanted the NHS , now they will find an excuse to sell it off to some of their dodgy pals.

Whitewavemark2 Mon 03-Oct-22 13:43:09

I honestly think that given the choice most people would prefer to pay more tax and get good public services, like NHS, social care, well funded education etc.

MaizieD Mon 03-Oct-22 13:53:22

Whitewavemark2

I honestly think that given the choice most people would prefer to pay more tax and get good public services, like NHS, social care, well funded education etc.

Taxation doesn't fund spending!!!

Government spending has to come first, and it is the only thing that's going to get us out of this mess.

How are people supposed to pay more tax if they don't have the money to pay it with?

Austerity is going to kill the country's economy.

volver Mon 03-Oct-22 13:59:06

At least it's keeping some people in work, Oldbat1. This is not, IMO, a good time to be throwing them into the benefits system...

Perhaps all those working on the construction of HS2 could build us a few hospitals instead. Win/win.

Whitewavemark2 Mon 03-Oct-22 14:01:53

MaizieD

Whitewavemark2

Taxation doesn't fund spending!!!

Government spending has to come first, and it is the only thing that's going to get us out of this mess.

How are people supposed to pay more tax if they don't have the money to pay it with?

Austerity is going to kill the country's economy.

I know!!!

But that is how it is sold and that is the choice in most people’s heads

volver Mon 03-Oct-22 14:04:03

So please, in words of one syllable for the economically illiterate like me...

Why do we pay tax?

Prentice Mon 03-Oct-22 14:28:28

Whitewavemark2

Yes I think a lot of people would see the sense in that.

MaizieD Mon 03-Oct-22 14:33:25

volver

So please, in words of one syllable for the economically illiterate like me...

*Why do we pay tax?*

I have to go out now. I'll tell you later. grin

volver Mon 03-Oct-22 14:34:32

You're on!!

varian Mon 03-Oct-22 14:38:19

Our treasured NHS and vital public services must not be allowed to pay the price for Liz Truss and Kwasi Kwarteng's disastrous budget.

Conservative MPs must do their patriotic duty and vote down these unfunded tax cuts for big business and banks.

twitter.com/LibDems/status/1576887545488515072?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Etweet