Gransnet forums

News & politics

Has the U Turn just made it worse?

(27 Posts)
Normandygirl Tue 04-Oct-22 10:33:01

Whilst I welcome the U turn on the tax cuts, I am wondering how Truss and the tories think they benefit from it. The people who were outraged by the policy in the first place are not going to forgive and forget. The high earning tories who had a nice little present dangled in front of them and had it snatched away are not going to be happy. The Mp's who staunchly defended it all week have been made to look like idiots. The economy has already taken the hit, it makes no difference to the planned welfare cuts, and the ones who have made millions from the fallout get to keep their ill-gotten gains regardless.
On the political front, has Truss now lost any shred of credibility or competence that she ever had, or has the U turn saved her premiership?

Whitewavemark2 Tue 04-Oct-22 10:34:48

The government is tottering.

Germanshepherdsmum Tue 04-Oct-22 10:44:17

It will be interesting to see how this plays out when parliament returns, the OBR report is received and the November (or earlier?) statement is made. I’m hoping that plenty of Conservative MPs, such as Gove, are plotting behind the scenes to rid us of Truss and Kwarteng. Their arrogance and irresponsibility are breathtaking. As a Conservative voter I don’t lump Truss in with ‘the Tories’. By no means all were happy with the removal of the 45% tax rate.

Lovetopaint037 Tue 04-Oct-22 10:48:18

I understand it is just a little “diversion”. Well if the loss of 60 plus billion is just a diversion what is a catastrophe? The longer Liz and her fall guy Chancellor is around the weaker and more incompetent the Tory government looks. The clapping and false adulation at the conference says it all. With the exception of Gove and the ex transport minister publicly calling it out they appear to be clinging together like the proverbial.

Germanshepherdsmum Tue 04-Oct-22 11:24:26

At the conference you’re seeing the people who voted for her. They won’t get the adulation when parliament returns, rest assured.

Normandygirl Tue 04-Oct-22 13:53:24

Germanshepherdsmum

At the conference you’re seeing the people who voted for her. They won’t get the adulation when parliament returns, rest assured.

I agree, all of the attendees I have seen asked so far are saying;- "she just needs to find her feet",
" we all make mistakes"
" she shouldn't be judged harshly for one error"
etc,etc,etc.
I don't see any viable alternative to the parliamentary party backing her though. They really don't have a choice now do they?

Germanshepherdsmum Tue 04-Oct-22 14:03:48

Learning on this job isn’t acceptable. Remember her promises to hit the ground running? She and Kwarteng made an enormous error, so bad, so utterly appalling that the BoE had to intervene. Not a word of apology. The party can’t afford to back her. She has to go, along with her arrogant chancellor.

MaizieD Tue 04-Oct-22 14:08:01

There is a viable alternative. It's called a General Election grin

The tory party has been divided for along time. Truss is just exacerbating the division. As far as I can see she has lost control of the parliamentary party. She will struggle to get her dreadful policies past them. The government is stagnating.

How many decent tory MPs do you think will back her when they deeply disagree with her policy? Do you think they'll do it just to keep the tories in power? Then the question is, 'In power to do what?'

Germanshepherdsmum Tue 04-Oct-22 14:51:46

No, they won’t continue to back her, they’ll get rid. She’s a disaster. Apparently not a good constituency MP either according to the local rag (glad it’s another constituency in the county, not the one I live in). Never around except when there’s a photo op and they only find out she’s visited afterwards when they see the photos.

M0nica Tue 04-Oct-22 15:02:48

I doubt those people affected by the 5p cut, and not cut in income tax care either way. The idea that cutting it would do anything to boost the economy was ludicrous.

What matters to investors, who may well not be resident in the Uk or have any intention of becoming resident, is the quality of our scientist and technologists and the originality of their ideas and the availability of capital for investment. Not 5p on the income tax, one way or the ther.

BigBertha1 Tue 04-Oct-22 15:06:20

It's terrifying that somebody (Ms Truss) with such inexperience and record of u turns and indecision can be allowed to run the country. I don't often join in these political threads as I don't have the same level of knowledge or indeed interest as many of the main posters but our situation is dire. It seems that everything in this country is going to the dogs. Poverty and hunger seen before but it's getting worse food banks can't keep up and people need more help than they are allowed from them. Shameful that in a rich society we have child poverty and hunger and to have person like Truss who doesn't know which way is up as PM give me no hope at all.

Riverwalk Tue 04-Oct-22 15:30:38

I still do a double take when hearing the words 'the prime minister, Liz Truss...'

When her name was first mooted it seemed a bit of a joke - rather like back in the day when Ann Widdicombe's name would come up at Tory leadership goings-on!

And, just to mention, I do wish PMs and others wouldn't keep donning hard hats and hi-vis jackets - it doesn't make you look serious or interested in industry and infrastructure, more like prize pillock.

Gawd help us!

Casdon Tue 04-Oct-22 15:43:12

Which is worse though - high vis or the Cossack hat? That was the first indication I had that we were dealing with an Image fruitcake.

Callistemon21 Tue 04-Oct-22 16:17:40

Casdon

Which is worse though - high vis or the Cossack hat? That was the first indication I had that we were dealing with an Image fruitcake.

Channelling her inner Julie Christie?

Germanshepherdsmum Tue 04-Oct-22 16:41:22

Her (she thinks) inner Margaret Thatcher I think. Delusional.

Callistemon21 Tue 04-Oct-22 17:19:22

I’m hoping that plenty of Conservative MPs, such as Gove, are plotting behind the scenes to rid us of Truss and Kwarteng Their arrogance and irresponsibility are breathtaking

The problem is that, were Gove to take over or Johnson return, people might feel relieved!

?

HousePlantQueen Tue 04-Oct-22 17:22:47

Germanshepherdsmum

Her (she thinks) inner Margaret Thatcher I think. Delusional.

On twitter, a few pundits are referring to Truss as 'Margarine Thatcher' grin

HousePlantQueen Tue 04-Oct-22 17:28:45

It is noticeable just who isn't at the conference. Javid, Sunak, and we can be pretty certain that if Johnson were there we would all know about it. It is all the ERG members, and the toadying creeps who will back anything the PM says in an effort to get themselves a job.

Germanshepherdsmum Tue 04-Oct-22 17:32:27

I’m surprised that the Gransnetter who admitted having voted for Truss hasn’t commented again.

skunkhair63 Tue 04-Oct-22 17:42:14

Rory Stewart referred to her as the “Instagram Prime Minister”, for dressing up in various outfits and often posing in front of various flags! ?

DaisyAnne Tue 04-Oct-22 17:53:54

Normandygirl

Germanshepherdsmum

I agree, all of the attendees I have seen asked so far are saying;- "she just needs to find her feet",
" we all make mistakes"
" she shouldn't be judged harshly for one error"
etc,etc,etc.
I don't see any viable alternative to the parliamentary party backing her though. They really don't have a choice now do they?

I'm hearing quite a mixture of comments. Some comments could even have come from the centre-left side of the Labour Party. And that's the problem with both the larger parties. They are, and always have been, a coalition whose extremes don't always or even often agree with their more centre-left or right members.

I noticed the latest "How the Red Wall would vote" poll now says the Conservatives could lose 32 seats in that area. twitter.com/yougov/status/1444937601413222400?lang=en

I heard someone say that the Conservatives keep talking about growing the economy, but they need to "grow" society. I do think the Conservatives have miscalculated by going for "growing the city", etc. I understand some may think this is the best way to go. I think they are wrong.

We must bring work to all areas. If you have no work, or only badly paid work, a parallel economy, an illegal one, will grow. There is nothing wrong with the places where this happens. There is plenty wrong with what's been done to them and what continues to happen to them.

M0nica Wed 05-Oct-22 08:14:26

Houseplantqueen I have written on another thread about a book I am reading, now 2 years old, 'Democracy for Sale', author: Peter Geoghegan.

It makes it very clear who runs the Conservative party and sets its policies, and it certainly isn't the party members, those financing it indirectly, are neither British, nor members of the party, but it has made dominant in the party, those who now run it.

Whitewavemark2 Wed 05-Oct-22 08:32:57

I’m going to try that book. I have read a lot around the subject, starting really 6 or more years ago with Brexit as to me it was clear that the leave campaign was being supported by some very dark forces in the USA. Bannerman and a number of others pointed to the far right, and I think it has culminated in the U.K. with Truss.

The question now for me is whether the traditional Conservative party will succeed in riding themselves from this infiltrator, or whether it is lost to the far right, which would be a tragedy for traditional one nation Tories.

Whitewavemark2 Wed 05-Oct-22 08:35:21

Downloaded?

M0nica Wed 05-Oct-22 08:46:15

WWM2 you will find all that you have found out confirmed - and I am only half way through it.