Gransnet forums

News & politics

Voter Identity At Future Elections.

(106 Posts)
Calendargirl Wed 05-Oct-22 13:56:21

Just wondered how many on GN are aware that from May 2023, you will have to prove your identity before you can vote at a polling station at election time.

Rosie51 Wed 05-Oct-22 14:11:50

I wasn't aware, maybe because I do postal voting. Presumably a council tax bill, or other utility bill will do for ID, or the card they used to send through the post that told you where your polling station was? Not sure how I feel about this, I need to give it some more thought.

kircubbin2000 Wed 05-Oct-22 14:19:31

We have that in NI. It's photo ID and very easy to check. The electoral office provide a card if you dont have anything.

MaizieD Wed 05-Oct-22 14:21:55

Has to be photo ID Rosie51

Were you not on Gnet when it was extensively discussed when it was introduced by Johnson? About 2 years ago.

GrannyGravy13 Wed 05-Oct-22 14:24:21

This is from the Governments website

volver Wed 05-Oct-22 14:27:52

Nobody worried about their democratic rights and voter suppression?

Just me...?

Rosie51 Wed 05-Oct-22 14:30:36

volver

Just me...?

Not sure how I feel about this, I need to give it some more thought.
giving considered thought not good enough?

MaizieD Wed 05-Oct-22 14:32:22

volver

Just me...?

Lots of people were very worried about that 2 years ago, volver.

Lots of other people thought it was fine. Just another little bureaucratic hurdle to jump..

Stats on in person voter fraud made no difference at all. Apparently we really need to be mistrusted at every step of our way through life...

Odd that the more obvious vehicle for voter fraud, postal voting, was not touched...

NotSpaghetti Fri 07-Oct-22 10:47:31

Another ridiculous hurdle serving no purpose.
And yes, I did write to my MP about it.

HousePlantQueen Fri 07-Oct-22 18:37:55

This was indeed extensively discussed 2 years ago, and a frightening number of GN members couldn't see any problem with it. If you are impoverished, moving around in rental accommodation, a student, you may not have a driving licence or a passport. I don't know about bus passes being suitable for photo ID, but as the demographic who use them are often (yes, I know, not always!) Tory voters, I assume bus passes will be acceptable, although student ID cards are not, of course. Can't have young idealistic lefties voting can we?

BlueBelle Fri 07-Oct-22 18:42:50

No problem carry your passport or driving licence what’s the problem you often need to use them to prove who you are
When I lived overseas I had to carry a card with my photo and details including my blood group and finger print

HousePlantQueen Fri 07-Oct-22 18:51:32

It's a bit of a problem if you don't have either Bluebelle! My DS, for example, no driving licence as has never taken his test; lives in London and doesn't need a car yet. His passport expires at the end of this year. So, if there is an election before he renews his passport, he won't be able to vote until he gets a photo id from his local authority. Moving flat at the moment, into another borough.....Are you happy with that Bluebelle?

BlueBelle Fri 07-Oct-22 19:35:08

Its not for me to be happy or unhappy HPQ
It will be up to your son to get photo I D if he wants to vote
I have always renewed my passport ahead of the expiry date as some countries won’t let you in in you have less than 6 months on it so as his passport expires in 2 months best he renews it now ?I doubt there ll be an election in 2 months
It’s not a big thing really

MaizieD Fri 07-Oct-22 19:36:57

The problems is, BlueBelle, that it was a totally unnecessary move, not supported by any evidence and it is not only a further needless restriction of our freedom, but also a path to voter suppression.

volver Fri 07-Oct-22 19:55:26

It’s not a big thing really.

It's a huge thing.

www.theguardian.com/politics/2021/jul/04/millions-in-uk-face-disenfranchisement-under-voter-id-plans

In 2019, there was just one conviction and one police caution for impersonating another voter.

Oldnproud Fri 07-Oct-22 20:18:57

Right now I don't have valid photo ID.

I've never had the photo part of a driving licence, and my passport has expired.

That's more inconvenience and expense that I could well do without if I'm to remedy this.

GrannyGravy13 Fri 07-Oct-22 20:34:04

You cannot pick up a click and collect from Smyths Toy Store, Post Office or multiple other stores. Something as important as voting for the government should surely have ID protection?

volver Fri 07-Oct-22 20:36:14

GrannyGravy13

You cannot pick up a click and collect from Smyths Toy Store, Post Office or multiple other stores. Something as important as voting for the government should surely have ID protection?

In 2019, there was just one conviction and one police caution for impersonating another voter.

We don't need it. It will cost £40m over the next decade and people will be disenfranchised.

MaizieD Fri 07-Oct-22 20:46:46

GrannyGravy13

That is a completely ridiculous argument, GG13 and you trotted it out last time we had this debate.

Of course producing ID is necessary when you pick up a parcel or letter or a purchase; it is necessary that these things end up in the right hands. But there is absolutely zero evidence for any significant fraud committed by in person voters and no necessity to demand ID. I'm afraid that whataboutery doesn't have any validity in this instance. Just because you have to do it in those instances doesn't make it right to do it in other circumstances.

pinkprincess Fri 07-Oct-22 20:52:03

I remember during the build up to one General Election my mother, who was suffering from severe dementia received a polling card.The poor soul did not know what day it was never mind who to vote for.My family and I decided to destroy it, rather than allow it to get into the hands of someone who would pretend to be her and so make a vote.

CanadianGran Fri 07-Oct-22 20:53:56

I really don't see it as an issue. We have to show proof of ID, but it doesn't necessarily need to have a photo, but it must match your address. A government issued photo ID is one step further, but accessible to anyone; you just need to apply.

I believe they have given plenty of advance notice.

BlueBelle Fri 07-Oct-22 20:53:56

You can use your bus pass Oldanproud
It just doesn’t seem too much of a problem to me maybe because I have lived where I needed to always carry a card and it never entered my head not to

winterwhite Fri 07-Oct-22 21:00:30

Is this not unnecessary regulation and state intervention? Surely our new PM will abolish it? - but not holding my breath.

DaisyAnne Fri 07-Oct-22 21:13:43

volver

Just me...?

Lots of people are worried about it volver. They just don't come on Gransnett to talk about something that, at the moment, they can do nothing about.

But we do admit that all those that consider themselves above us get extra points in the game of life when they do. So well done you cupcake

DaisyAnne Fri 07-Oct-22 21:16:12

NotSpaghetti

Another ridiculous hurdle serving no purpose.
And yes, I did write to my MP about it.

Didn't we all. This government will unravel eventually. I just don't think it will be quick enough to please the majority of us.