Gransnet forums

News & politics

Football in Qatar

(98 Posts)
maddyone Fri 18-Nov-22 13:37:55

I’m just wondering what everyone thinks about the World Cup being held in Qatar. Today it has been announced that there will be no alcoholic drinks on sale in the grounds by order of the Qatari royal family. No alcohol doesn’t bother me (not that I’m going to the World Cup anyway) but surely if a country agrees to host this competition it should be able to fulfill the usual requirements. However some people have suggested that others should respect their culture. Well I certainly don’t respect the culture that uses capital punishment, makes being gay illegal, and has few rights for women.
And don’t get me started on David Beckham endorsing this country.
So what do you think?

Oreo Fri 18-Nov-22 13:54:32

I wouldn’t go if I were a football fan. It’s an awful country for civil rights and is hosting it due to corruption.

Riverwalk Fri 18-Nov-22 14:03:04

Lots of members on here go to Dubai, which is next door, for sun and sand - the UAE is no different from Qatar in its treatment of gays, minorities and migrant workers but little is said.

Unfortunately, money and politics are in play for these major events, and lots of unsavoury regimes have been hosts, e.g. Russia held the last World Cup, after it had annexed Crimea; and China has hosted the Olympics.

It all stinks but it's the way of the world.

Riverwalk Fri 18-Nov-22 14:07:52

As for Beckham on the make let's not forget Prince Charles as he was then, accepted £2 million pounds cash in carrier bags for his charity, from an Al-Thani, the ruling family in Qatar.

halfpint1 Fri 18-Nov-22 14:13:55

My daughter turned down the offer of working for Coca-Cola for the world cup. It amounted to Hotel,work,hotel and back towork and little free time to go nowhere.
She wisely said no

Zoejory Fri 18-Nov-22 14:32:39

Very true, Riverwalk

The fault lies with FIFA. They should never have allowed the tournament to take place there. But money talks.

I think, if going to these countries, one has to respect their laws. Just to save yourself from being arrested!

maddyone Fri 18-Nov-22 14:33:42

I agree with you Riverwalk, for my money I wouldn’t have held the last World Cup in Russia, nor Olympics in China. Nor would I ever go to Dubai. I can’t think of anywhere worse, it’s all about shopping malls, fancy hotels, and beaches, and of course it has an appalling lack of human rights as well. I have passed through the airport at Dubai, and the airport at Doha, but I wouldn’t visit these countries for all the tea in China.
Agree with you too about the then Prince Charles accepting money in a plastic bag! He said it was for his charity and it most likely was, but really? However David Beckham hasn’t said any of his payment is for charity as far as I know, and I saw it was 150,000,000. Not sure if that’s right, maybe someone else knows different.

Jaberwok Fri 18-Nov-22 14:36:04

Prince Charles accepted that cash in 2011 and 2015 both times several years ago. He has publicly said that with hind sight it was foolish and not something he would ever do again. Is there nothing that people won't being up and use to try and discredit this poor man?

Jaberwok Fri 18-Nov-22 14:37:50

'bring up'

25Avalon Fri 18-Nov-22 14:40:49

Zoejory

Very true, Riverwalk

The fault lies with FIFA. They should never have allowed the tournament to take place there. But money talks.

I think, if going to these countries, one has to respect their laws. Just to save yourself from being arrested!

Especially if the money is in a brown envelope. I believe Sepp Blatter the then FIFA President is still under investigation.

It’s not just the culture and laws but it’s boiling hot and not the best place for football particularly when the country does not have football history.

GrannyGravy13 Fri 18-Nov-22 14:45:07

Definitely will not watch any match that Iran is playing including England V Iran on Monday.

We have several friends who always go to the World Cup none are attending this year.

Many migrant workers have lost their lives building the eight stadiums being used along with appalling living conditions and pay.

vegansrock Fri 18-Nov-22 15:07:14

There is very little World Cup excitement around as far as I can see. No England flags out of car windows or merchandise in shops. I will be avoiding it.

Kim19 Fri 18-Nov-22 15:12:39

Think I heard somewhere that a brewery is one of their sponsors?

maddyone Fri 18-Nov-22 15:31:50

I stand corrected, David Beckham is apparently being paid 10 million for his services as ambassador to Qatar. It sounds more reasonable doesn’t it? Well reasonable for an already multi millionaire. I heard this figure mentioned on a news programme so probably correct. I still think it’s disgraceful that he’s doing this but I don’t suppose he gives a hoot what I think.

Franbern Fri 18-Nov-22 15:36:59

Think it is disgusting - the whole of FIFA needs serious investigation not just one or two people. Can only boycott by turning over tv whenever it is mentioned etc.

AND....they are actually continuing this horror by considering UEA for the next World Cup.

Not to mention the thosuands of migrant workers who have lost their lives in building this stadium. But then, migtrants are not really humans are they?? So they don't matter!!!

GrannyGravy13 Fri 18-Nov-22 15:41:01

Kim19

Think I heard somewhere that a brewery is one of their sponsors?

Yes Budweiser is one of the main sponsors.

Jaxjacky Fri 18-Nov-22 15:53:43

Gary Neville is also being paid handsomely for his part, commentating in Quatar.
Beer or not, I’m not bothered, but to change their mind at such short notice is unacceptable, might they change other rules?
FIFA is corrupt, still.

Rosie51 Fri 18-Nov-22 15:54:52

I love football and would normally be glued to the TV watching as many matches as possible, but I'll not watch one second of this one. I do know it won't make a jot of difference but I'll feel better doing that. I have 'boycotted' other sporting events I'd normally watch on a principle before.
Apart from the obvious corruption that led to them being awarded the tournament, Qatar agreed that alcohol would be able to be served in the stadia to compensate for there not being places outside the stadium where fans could drink. Budweiser as one of the sponsors would have insisted they could get sales. Qatar have now broken that agreement. FIFA are going to have to compensate Budweiser and I hope the compensation runs to more than the bribes they accepted!

Grantanow Fri 18-Nov-22 17:06:28

Absolutely disgraceful decision by FIFA to hold it in Qatar. No UK teams should take part and the UK government should not send the Foreign Secretary to attend.

Urmstongran Fri 18-Nov-22 17:12:08

I think it’s daft. Who plays football in the desert? Bet a few ‘executives’ and officials got treated very well during the decision making process. Sepp Blatter and others have enjoyed a very luxurious lifestyle over the years.

And now I read that security guards at the Qatari stadiums are to be paid 35p AN HOUR.

Oldbat1 Fri 18-Nov-22 17:18:56

FIFA are a disgrace! I don’t follow football BUT agreeing for Qatar to hold the World Cup was corrupt from the start. How many backhanders have been paid. How many folk have lost their lives. I’m ashamed.

Have a listen to a Radio 4 play “Dear Harry Kane” which is available on BBC Sounds it is about a man who goes to join the building of the stadiums who is such a Harry Kane fan. He wants to send money home to his wife and family. I know it is a piece of theatre but I can imagine everything actually happening in the way the play progresses.

Smileless2012 Fri 18-Nov-22 17:23:05

Well I'm not a football fan but will usually watch England, but not this year. I think it's a disgrace and demonstrated, as if we didn't know this already, that it's all about the money and the prestige.

The cost of putting on this show is in excess of 200 billion, I mean you can't begin to imagine what that amount of money looks like, never mind how much good could be done.

rafichagran Fri 18-Nov-22 17:25:15

My partner and I will watch, we like football. Whilst I agree with what everyone says, us not watching will make no difference.
All the people I know who love football, travel miles to see matches will be watching as well. My son a big football fan has a big birthday coming up in December, he will do nothing to celebrate while England is playing.

Urmstongran Fri 18-Nov-22 17:34:04

England’s players have also been supplied with ice towels, ice vests and ice packs in an attempt to keep them cool in training, even though there will be air conditioning inside the World Cup stadiums.

Jaylou Fri 18-Nov-22 17:40:36

The brewers Brewdog have proudly declared themselves ANTI sponsors of the world cup and have stated.
"We're donating all profits made from Lost Lager sold during the World Cup to causes fighting human rights abuses."