Gransnet forums

News & politics

New head of the Met speaks out about problem officers.

(22 Posts)
grannydarkhair Thu 24-Nov-22 13:18:52

New head of the Met says around 3,000 officers cannot be fully deployed due to misconduct allegations or health issues, including “about 100” who are not trusted to speak to the public. Sir Mark Rowley says he lacks the powers to sack them which he describes as “perverse”.

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-63684172

Grantanow Fri 25-Nov-22 09:34:35

The government should ensure he gets the powers to sack errant officers.

GrannyGravy13 Fri 25-Nov-22 09:44:50

If they have not got the full trust of their boss then they should not be in the job, simples.

If anyone else is not capable of performing their duties at work then they would lose their jobs, get HR to look closer at their contracts of employment.

MerylStreep Fri 25-Nov-22 09:51:47

If it wasn’t so awful it would be laughable 😥

GrannyGravy13 Fri 25-Nov-22 09:54:34

Just a quick point, there are some really good caring and efficient Met Police Officers, let’s be careful not to tarnish them all with the same brush.

grannydarkhair Fri 25-Nov-22 10:05:16

GrannyGravy13 Sir Mark Rowley acknowledges your point in the article.
I find it unbelievable that officers who are as poor at their job as the “about 100” can’t be sacked after working through the appropriate HR policy.

Caleo Fri 25-Nov-22 10:25:17

Why does Sir Mark Rowley not train the policemen properly?

Policemen need to be trained in ethics and public relations; you can't presume all recruits come with these skills in place.

Riverwalk Fri 25-Nov-22 10:38:06

It's a bloody disgrace that 3,000 officers can't be fully deployed - not wonder we rarely see police out on the beat!

This is something else that Braverman needs to sort out - I doubt she will, the can will just be kicked down the road.

growstuff Fri 25-Nov-22 10:53:10

Grantanow

The government should ensure he gets the powers to sack errant officers.

The Met Police Federation claims he does have those powers.

MaizieD Fri 25-Nov-22 15:01:45

He's only been in the job for 5 minutes. No doubt he will make changes as a result of what he is finding (well, I sincerely hope he will make changes).

Cuts to police budgets over the years haven't helped...

Caleo Tue 29-Nov-22 00:37:43

Right , Maizie. Well then let me ask why his predecessor did not train the policemen properly.

welbeck Tue 29-Nov-22 00:43:12

and they probably are mostly policemen too.

MaizieD Tue 29-Nov-22 00:45:39

Caleo

Right , Maizie. Well then let me ask why his predecessor did not train the policemen properly.

I have no idea why she didn't train the police properly. Should I have?

Caleo Tue 29-Nov-22 01:08:11

You might think about it.

MaizieD Tue 29-Nov-22 08:11:00

Caleo

You might think about it.

You might stop playing silly b6ggers, too...

Iam64 Tue 29-Nov-22 08:23:25

Police budgets have been decimated. Their previously excellent on going training courses of course diminished. 12 years of Tory misrule have caused so much damage to public services.

Caleo Tue 29-Nov-22 13:42:08

It's not silly, Maizie, to expect people on a discussion group to give reasons for what they claim. I've actually forgotten by now what this is all about.

Caleo Tue 29-Nov-22 13:48:31

I remember now, Maizie. I had asked a hypothetical question about police officer training and you took it to be me asking you to give a definitive answer.

Boz Tue 29-Nov-22 13:55:52

Training isn't the complete answer. Many who join the police force are racist, mysogonistic; the macho male who likes to wear a uniform and throw his weight about. Not all, of course, but an ideal job for some bully boys.
I would exclude women police officers from this condemnation.I am full of praise for them having to put up with the likes of Wayne Couzens.

MaizieD Tue 29-Nov-22 14:26:58

Caleo

Policemen need to be trained in ethics and public relations; you can't presume all recruits come with these skills in place.

This is what you asked, Caleo. You don't have to look very far for your question, just a few posts up from this one.

If you think this is a 'hypothetical question' then I have a bridge to sell you..

Iam64 Tue 29-Nov-22 18:53:19

Box, please don’t dismiss many men yet exclude women from criticism

Caleo Wed 30-Nov-22 12:35:30

Well, Maizie, I intended a hypothetical question. had not read the previous explanation you cite, and I am sorry about that. I certainly did not intend my question to be a personal challenge to yourself.