Gransnet forums

News & politics

Buckingham Palace Aide resigns

(1000 Posts)
Parsley3 Wed 30-Nov-22 14:12:28

BBC News - Buckingham Palace aide resigns over remarks to black charity boss
www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-63810468

Well at least the Palace took this incident seriously and didn't fob off Ms Fulani's complaint.

Oreo Wed 30-Nov-22 14:15:07

I don’t know the facts with this story, was the woman in question at a do where overseas visitors were circulating?

Parsley3 Wed 30-Nov-22 14:16:39

The facts are available in the link.

FannyCornforth Wed 30-Nov-22 14:17:21

I’ve heard the transcript of the conversation (on Shelagh Fogarty) and it was absolutely dreadful.
The aide was like a dog with a bone with the poor woman.
It was racist harassment.

Oreo Wed 30-Nov-22 14:18:11

Have looked at your link now Parsley3 wow! Yes that aide was really out of order.

Aveline Wed 30-Nov-22 14:18:32

'honorary role' so presumably one of Camilla's new companions or 'ladies of the household'?

Parsley3 Wed 30-Nov-22 14:30:29

I thought that it might have been one of the old school Ladies in Waiting but I may have made that up. Well done the Palace for taking action but the aide was displaying what I think is an example of the thoughts and actions of the old regime. My opinion, of course not a fact.

Parsley3 Wed 30-Nov-22 14:47:16

Prince William's godmother quits and apologises after race row erupts at Queen Consort’s Palace reception www.lbc.co.uk/news/queen-consort-camilla-buckingham-palace-women-violence-guest-racial-heritage/
One of the old school, right enough.

merlotgran Wed 30-Nov-22 14:57:03

Aveline

'honorary role' so presumably one of Camilla's new companions or 'ladies of the household'?

Definitely not one of Camilla’s aides. Lady Susan Hussey was one of the late Queen’s ladies in waiting.

Beggars belief that she should be so thick. Maybe dementia?

MaizieD Wed 30-Nov-22 15:00:00

That is horrible. What was the woman thinking about?

FannyCornforth Wed 30-Nov-22 15:07:11

Shelagh is talking to her now on LBC

FannyCornforth Wed 30-Nov-22 15:08:07

merlot I didn’t think that the aide had been named yet?

Glorianny Wed 30-Nov-22 15:08:49

Hang on didn't someone else say there was racism in the palace and wasn't she condemned by loads of people on GN ?
So it seems it is true! Well who would have imagined that??

FannyCornforth Wed 30-Nov-22 15:09:48

FannyCornforth

Sorry. LBC isn’t very joined up at the moment - the news just now said that she hadn’t been named confused

FannyCornforth Wed 30-Nov-22 15:11:27

Glorianny

Hang on didn't someone else say there was racism in the palace and wasn't she condemned by loads of people on GN ?
So it seems it is true! Well who would have imagined that??

‘Someone else’?
Well, there are hundreds of posters on here.
Of course people are going to have differing opinions

FannyCornforth Wed 30-Nov-22 15:12:52

Oh god, please don’t let this become another thread about Ms Markle.
It’s interesting in its own right

growstuff Wed 30-Nov-22 15:15:09

merlotgran

Aveline

Definitely not one of Camilla’s aides. Lady Susan Hussey was one of the late Queen’s ladies in waiting.

Beggars belief that she should be so thick. Maybe dementia?

According to the Tatler, she was made a lady of the household by King Charles III in recognition of her longstanding service to his mother.

www.tatler.com/article/who-is-queen-lady-in-waiting-lady-susan-hussey-prince-philip-funeral

Elegran Wed 30-Nov-22 15:15:19

Silly woman. She is 83 so her inhibitions about pressing someone for an answer may be a bit blunted.

Baggs Wed 30-Nov-22 15:16:06

Bloody Hell!! How utterly shocking!

Glorianny Wed 30-Nov-22 15:16:12

But it is Prince William's godmother so perhaps indicative of what is considered acceptable by the RF inner circle.

growstuff Wed 30-Nov-22 15:16:58

FannyCornforth

The Times, the Independent and loads of other sources have named her.

Poppyred Wed 30-Nov-22 15:19:31

I don’t think she made a complaint to the palace………she went straight to the press.

Elegran Wed 30-Nov-22 15:22:34

More likely that they didn't realise she had lost her inhibitions far enough to behave like that. She sounds like a rather privileged old lady who can't understand why this furr'n gel isn't replying to her chatty question with the answer she wants. She is probably Ok usually - but we all know how our older relatives can come out with things that embarrass us. They'll be kicking themselves that she wasn't completely retired earlier.

loopyloo Wed 30-Nov-22 15:23:30

What a shame Ms Fulani didn't stand tall and say "my great grandfather was taken from whichever African country as a slave to Jamaica by one of your forefathers. Out of which they made a lot of money.
However I was born in the UK and now live in Hackney and support women."
Why should she be made to feel ashamed of her background?

Vintagenonna Wed 30-Nov-22 15:25:44

Ngosi Fulani is the name of the charity worker.

In case anyone thinks it is relevant . . .

This discussion thread has reached a 1000 message limit, and so cannot accept new messages.
Start a new discussion