Gransnet forums

News & politics

Times Online real names only for comments?!

(15 Posts)
sandelf Thu 08-Dec-22 13:33:25

Lot of talk among Times subscribers on the proposal to force all commenters to use their real names. They have just put up the cost and now this - which paper shall I subscribe to now?

AreWeThereYet Thu 08-Dec-22 13:36:21

How can they possibly enforce that???

DaisyAnne Thu 08-Dec-22 13:38:19

I would stay with the Times where at least you will get less anger and dross from the "commenters". Or are you more worried people we realise that you were the one who said whatever?

Galaxy Thu 08-Dec-22 15:11:14

Yes I would. Anonymity often means the ability to discuss difficult subjects without threats.

sandelf Thu 08-Dec-22 16:14:57

They can enforce it as only paying subscribers can comment and they (only they at the moment) know ones real details and online name.

sandelf Thu 08-Dec-22 16:22:31

My identity and address are generally known locally - and easy to find by anyone looking. My opinions are not those of my near neighbours. I fear ? attack ? vandalism were my Times identity to become known. But I've had lots of good and mutually informative conversations there. Been able to frankly talk of medical and other personal life events that I would not under my real life name. It is a pity but unless they roll back on this, I cannot comment - so I will go to another quality daily as they are cheaper.

Lyndylou Thu 08-Dec-22 20:37:13

I really like The Times online and I will miss it but I was already fed up with the increase in cost. The latest decision to insist on real names has pushed me stop subscribing.

I have a surname that is shared by no more than a dozen people in the UK, one of which is my ex-husband. I would feel really restricted about what I can say knowing that I could be instantly identified by my neighbours and work colleagues.

I also feel that it is women that are most vulnerable if they can be identified and they say something someone doesn't like.

DaisyAnne Thu 08-Dec-22 21:55:49

sandelf

My identity and address are generally known locally - and easy to find by anyone looking. My opinions are not those of my near neighbours. I fear ? attack ? vandalism were my Times identity to become known. But I've had lots of good and mutually informative conversations there. Been able to frankly talk of medical and other personal life events that I would not under my real life name. It is a pity but unless they roll back on this, I cannot comment - so I will go to another quality daily as they are cheaper.

It's a shame if conversations have been mutually good and useful. However, if you are fearful you will have to look elsewhere sadly. Perhaps stay with it without posting and see how things go.

Visgir1 Fri 09-Dec-22 08:39:26

That's interesting as my husband's name appears as the poster , I was trying to change it as I post not him.
The account is in his name as we have both paper and on - line, I read on line he like the paper.
I have been unable to sort it out, so that probably why? I like reading the comments, some very funny, always interesting points of view.

Hetty58 Fri 09-Dec-22 08:51:13

How could they possibly check? I've always used my middle name for all social media. My late husband, known by his middle name from childhood, used his first name. I'd never reveal my full address either - as there are quite a few nutters out there!

PamelaJ1 Fri 09-Dec-22 10:11:57

Hetty they know our details. We can only post if we have an account.
Some of us were ‘silly’ enough to give our real details.
It is so hard to post anything anyway. It takes me ages, I type and the letters appear when they feel like it. Seems like 20mins when you are waiting.
Some of the comments are really interesting and witty so I hope that not everyone stops posting but I probably will.

Namsnanny Fri 09-Dec-22 10:29:05

Elon musk is suggesting the same thing for Twitter.

Hetty58 Fri 09-Dec-22 10:37:24

PamelaJ1, you should be able to close your account. Wait a few weeks and open a new one. After all, you could have moved away.
If it takes an age for your writing to appear (very annoying) I'd be inclined to write my comments in Notepad or Word, check it's ok, then copy and paste the whole thing in.

PamelaJ1 Fri 09-Dec-22 10:51:44

hetty. Ever thought of that. Thank you .

PamelaJ1 Wed 14-Dec-22 13:09:31

sandelf It doesn’t seem to be working.