Gransnet forums

News & politics

Sunak’s mini-shuffle

(46 Posts)
Whitewavemark2 Tue 07-Feb-23 10:35:15

Today.

He needs to appoint a new chairman. Poison chalice really as apparently whoever is chairman gets the blame for poor showing in the local elections in May.

Word had it that Raab won’t be shoved out. Patiently waiting for results of mega-bullying enquiry.

Casdon Tue 07-Feb-23 10:38:17

I hope he moves Suella Braverman, she would be able to do less damage in that role, as her complete empathy bypass wouldn’t matter.

Whitewavemark2 Tue 07-Feb-23 10:39:11

I know where I would like to move her!

Casdon Tue 07-Feb-23 10:40:58

Quite.

Whitewavemark2 Tue 07-Feb-23 11:07:08

Twitter

“Grant Shapps expected to be new energy security secretary

Kemi Badenoch expected to be new business and trade secretary

Still unclear who will get the science and technology job

Told not to expect sackings - it's all about the new departments”

Whitewavemark2 Tue 07-Feb-23 12:05:51

Confirmed

Grant Shapps - Energy Security & Net Zero
Michelle Donelan - Science, Innovation & Technology
Kemi Badenoch - Business & Trade
Lucy Frazer - Culture, Media & Sport
Greg Hands - Tory party chair

Urmstongran Tue 07-Feb-23 12:32:58

Uninspiring, in my opinion.

Urmstongran Tue 07-Feb-23 12:44:05

I liked a post setting the following “renewables for realists” exam question “If 100 wind turbines generate no electric when the wind isn’t blowing, how much energy will 1,000 turbines generate?”.

Urmstongran Tue 07-Feb-23 12:45:55

What’s Schapps going to do ... pass a law saying the wind must blow at all times and the sun must shine at night as well as day?

Whitewavemark2 Tue 07-Feb-23 12:48:30

Tories got rid of the department for energy, now have put it back.

Mamie Tue 07-Feb-23 12:50:28

Bit of a shame they got rid of the Department of Energy and Climate Change just a few short years ago isn't it? A machinery of government change doesn't come cheap.

Siope Tue 07-Feb-23 13:38:25

It costs a minimum of £15m to set up a new government department, with up to an additional £19m each in lost productivity (Durrant & Tetlow, 2019; Institute of Government).

The report notes that “while creating a new department can be useful to focus on a high priority issue or to bring together related policy areas, most changes are rushed and can end up causing confusion. The hassle of setting up a new organisation distracts from the problem the government wanted to solve.”

Whitewavemark2 Tue 07-Feb-23 13:45:44

The Tories really know how to spend our money don’t they?

HousePlantQueen Tue 07-Feb-23 13:52:29

Urmstongran

What’s Schapps going to do ... pass a law saying the wind must blow at all times and the sun must shine at night as well as day?

He will warm our homes and our souls with his boyish smile, Urmstongran

Whitewavemark2 Tue 07-Feb-23 13:54:32

30p Lee is duty chairman

HousePlantQueen Tue 07-Feb-23 14:00:00

Whitewavemark2

30p Lee is duty chairman

What's duty chairman? I first read it without my glasses and thought it was 'dirty chairman'

TopsyIrene06 Tue 07-Feb-23 14:14:08

30p Lee, is this a joke?

The man who was kicked out of the Labour Party approx 5 years ago after he made racist comments, that Lee?

Don't often feel like posting but honestly....

Siope Tue 07-Feb-23 14:21:04

The Tories really know how to spend our money don’t they

I suppose we could be pleased they have at least one competency.

LMAO at Lee Anderson as Deputy Chairman. I give him a month before he does something so embarrassing, Sunak has to sack him.

I see Shapps’ focus includes “bringing down bills and thereby helping to halve inflation”
- something that every economic forecast I’ve seen says will happen this year anyway.

MaizieD Tue 07-Feb-23 14:23:20

HousePlantQueen

Whitewavemark2

30p Lee is duty chairman

What's duty chairman? I first read it without my glasses and thought it was 'dirty chairman'

Isn't it 'deputy' chairman?

One commenter on twitter said that there are 5 tory deputy chairs and that it's the equivalent of being PPS for leafleting..grin

But I suppose it gives a certain gravitas to Lee's unhinged nonsense...

Oreo Tue 07-Feb-23 14:50:40

Urmstongran

Uninspiring, in my opinion.

Yeah well, there’s been enough excitement with the Tories recently so a bit of boring blandness is welcome.😉

Riverwalk Tue 07-Feb-23 15:02:43

30p Anderson is a sop to the Brexity northerners!

Siope Tue 07-Feb-23 15:32:02

I agree he’s a sop to the right-wing, and that in itself is a sign of how weak Sunak’s position is. But he’s not a northerner, and nor are all the Brexit-supporting MPs and party members.

Riverwalk Tue 07-Feb-23 15:39:17

It's the demographic that he's meant to appeal to, especially with Greg Hands being a London MP and a remainer.

Grantanow Tue 07-Feb-23 17:58:50

R Sunak, Prime Minister, First Lord of the Trousury and Minister for Deckchair Reallocation.

Whitewavemark2 Tue 07-Feb-23 18:17:43

This made me grin

30p Lee = 6 Bob nob.