Gransnet forums

News & politics

Junior Doctors strike

(288 Posts)
GrannyGravy13 Mon 13-Mar-23 09:31:31

The junior doctors are on strike for the next three days they are asking for a salary increase of 35%

Just wondered if any on GN think this is a reasonable increase?

I am not sure that it is…

Germanshepherdsmum Mon 13-Mar-23 09:31:53

Definitely not.

Glorianny Mon 13-Mar-23 09:37:40

A bit of a misleading OP. The BMA estimates that Junior doctor's salaries have fallen in real terms by 26% and it would take a rise of 35% to maintain the level.
I support them. They are the hardest working and carry great responsibility.

Greenfinch Mon 13-Mar-23 09:41:54

I support them too. Two members of my immediate family owe their lives to the prompt action of doctors lately. They are worth their weight in gold and should be highly valued.

GrammyGrammy Mon 13-Mar-23 09:42:06

They know less than you and google so it's no loss. Probably less people will die from their idiocy over those days.

BlueBelle Mon 13-Mar-23 09:44:53

I don’t understand your post GrammyGrammy some of these junior doctors have been working as doctors for ten years
Google for crying out loud !!!!

They are asking for what they have missed for years they are looking for an offer and you don’t start at the lowest amount do you ?

GrannyGravy13 Mon 13-Mar-23 10:06:27

Glorianny

A bit of a misleading OP. The BMA estimates that Junior doctor's salaries have fallen in real terms by 26% and it would take a rise of 35% to maintain the level.
I support them. They are the hardest working and carry great responsibility.

Lots of folks salaries have fallen in real terms over the last few years, including my own. I couldn’t justify giving myself a 35% pay rise.

IrishDancing Mon 13-Mar-23 10:14:20

GrammyGrammy it’s a large pay increase I agree but if they’ve lost out in real terms then this increase brings them up to what they should be earning. Perhaps you’ve had a bad experience with junior doctors (as I had once) but yours is a pretty sweeping statement.

GrannyGravy13 Mon 13-Mar-23 10:17:45

GrammyGrammy

They know less than you and google so it's no loss. Probably less people will die from their idiocy over those days.

My life has been saved by junior doctors I am sure they know more than Google

I just feel uncomfortable about 35%, hopefully negotiations can recommence and a middle figure agreed.

Yammy Mon 13-Mar-23 10:21:14

This is a difficult call. I don't want to see anyone die because of a lack of a Dr.
Having lived and mixed among medics since I was 18, yes I support them. By Junior, they do not mean newly qualified it means anyone below the consultant level. A pay rise might stop so many of them from moving abroad after training and areas of Britain where it is difficult to recruit might get a better uptake if the salary was better.
You have to ask, have you or anyone you know needed the help of a hospital Dr.in the last 5 years? Not forgetting what they did during the pandemic.

Farzanah Mon 13-Mar-23 10:22:42

Something has to be done because doctors are leaving the country in their hundreds for better pay and conditions abroad. They have plenty of options and won’t be bullied by the government like other workers.

You never see a medic down at the Job Centre!

Farzanah Mon 13-Mar-23 10:25:29

they know less than you and google What does that mean GrammyGrammy?

lixy Mon 13-Mar-23 10:28:22

There aren't enough doctors. The ones we have are stretched to and beyond any kind of reasonable work/life balance. Junior doctors is such a misleading term - these are mostly the work horses of the hospitals available around the clock every day.
Their value is beyond price. They should not only receive decent salaries but also have their working conditions reviewed so they can have a good life too.
Grammygrammy you must have had a poor experience somewhere along the line and I'm sorry for that but junior doctors are worth their weight (or maybe mine would be more generous!) in gold.

Blondiescot Mon 13-Mar-23 10:29:29

GrammyGrammy

Seriously? I sincerely hope you never have to rely on a junior doctor to save your life then. Just google it instead...

Fleurpepper Mon 13-Mar-23 10:32:35

GrammyGrammy

wow, just wow !

Shelflife Mon 13-Mar-23 10:44:20

GrammyGrammy!!!! Really ??
As Blondiescot says if ever you are unfortunate enough to need a junior doctor to save your life please use Dr Google instead - good luck with that!!

choughdancer Mon 13-Mar-23 10:56:43

As lixy says, 'junior doctors' is a misleading term, and I think it should be removed or changed to reflect what they do. 'Junior' inevitably suggests 'lesser' or 'lower' in rank, as if they are not really quite proper doctors yet!

GrannyGravy13 Mon 13-Mar-23 11:01:06

choughdancer

As lixy says, 'junior doctors' is a misleading term, and I think it should be removed or changed to reflect what they do. 'Junior' inevitably suggests 'lesser' or 'lower' in rank, as if they are not really quite proper doctors yet!

The term Junior Doctors has and is being used by all media regarding this strike.

ronib Mon 13-Mar-23 11:07:05

I live in an area where it is apparent that some doctors/consultants are paid extremely well. I always thought that junior doctors were still effectively in training and that the majority were aiming to become consultants around 10 years after graduating.

One doctor on tv said he could not afford to live near his hospital in Oxford. Lots of young professionals find themselves in this situation too.
If the junior doctors need 35 per cent extra, how much more do nurses, physios etc need?

Ilovecheese Mon 13-Mar-23 11:11:31

If you want to retain staff you have to pay them well and treat them well and with respect.
Do we want doctors?
If so, that is what we should do, it is really not complicated

nanna8 Mon 13-Mar-23 11:16:42

Send them over here. We are short of Doctors. Mind you, we don’t pay them too well,either. I think the average is about $200,000 p.a. but they have to have premises and receptionists etc.

MaizieD Mon 13-Mar-23 11:28:14

By Junior, they do not mean newly qualified it means anyone below the consultant level.

Exactly, Yammy

This should be written in bold and capital letters.

Junior doctors are NOT the lowest form of doctor, the term covers all doctors up to consultant level. This could be doctors in their late 30s and 40s with many years of experience under their belts and holding responsible positions.

Others have pointed out the difference between nominal and real wage increases so I won't go over it again..

@ronib ALL NHS staff deserve pay rises to bring them back in real terms to where they were 13years ago. Sadly, it won't happen.

MaizieD Mon 13-Mar-23 11:31:46

One doctor on tv said he could not afford to live near his hospital in Oxford. Lots of young professionals find themselves in this situation too.

Instead of insinuating that doctors shouldn't be trying to be better off than other young professionals, how about comparing them with the highly paid financial sector employees of a similar age?

I don't understand why everyone has to be reduced to the lowest common denominator...

Ziplok Mon 13-Mar-23 11:36:42

Not an eyelid is batted about the obscene amount of money “professional” footballers are paid. We seem to value sports personalities far more than our medical staff in this country.

Germanshepherdsmum Mon 13-Mar-23 11:37:52

Financial sector employees aren’t paid by the taxpayer are they?