Gransnet forums

News & politics

Johnson has been re-selected to stand for Uxbridge and South Ruislip at next GE.

(64 Posts)
HousePlantQueen Fri 17-Mar-23 14:05:33

This, to me, is an indication that his star is on the wane as he has a majority of just over 7300 and has not been able to get himself adopted by one of the upcoming seats with safer majorities such as Nadine Dorries one in Mid Beds with a majority in excess of 24,000.

Vintagenonna Fri 17-Mar-23 14:07:08

... for fear of finding something worse? . . .

NanaDana Fri 17-Mar-23 14:20:08

Politics aside, I am at a loss to understand why ANY party, of whatever persuasion, would select this man as a potential parliamentary candidate. I will refrain for listing his many repeated transgressions, and from providing a list of his unsavoury personality traits, as these are sadly a matter of public record, the last of which we have yet to see. Still more dirt to be dished here, I am sure. Johnson... please just go.

NotSpaghetti Fri 17-Mar-23 14:22:53

Maybe they really like him there.

HousePlantQueen Fri 17-Mar-23 14:29:14

I agree NanaDana, politics aside, it is difficult to understand this man's attraction. It could be that they have just gone through the motions with the possibility that he could be found guilty by the Parliamentary Standards Commission when facing them over the alleged breaking of lockdown regulations. If he is sentenced to in excess of 10 days suspension from Parliament, he can be recalled by his constituency party.

Helenlouise3 Fri 17-Mar-23 14:37:47

It says it all really about the other candidates.

pascal30 Fri 17-Mar-23 14:46:15

oh please save us from this ghastly man..

LadyHonoriaDedlock Fri 17-Mar-23 15:21:45

NotSpaghetti

Maybe they really like him there.

If they do it's certainly not for the assiduous work he puts in on behalf of his constituents.

Grantanow Sat 18-Mar-23 10:30:32

It does not surprise me that Tory activists would reselect BoJo when they have already provided evidence of their discriminatory powers by voting in Truss.

NotSpaghetti Sat 18-Mar-23 10:38:36

No, LadyHonoriaDedlock it certainly isn't!

Grantanow - grin

MayBee70 Sat 18-Mar-23 11:44:42

They can’t find a safe seat for him can they. My dream is for Lord Buckethead to beat him in the election…..

Fleurpepper Sat 18-Mar-23 11:48:37

Oh that made me giggle MayBee70 - Y E S smile

Dinahmo Sat 18-Mar-23 13:11:07

He's been trying to get back into Henley but the current MP does not want to go.

The referendum vote in his constituency was 57.2% in favour of Leave. I haven't been able to find out what the percentage is now. But, according to a UK Gov poll last May, Uxbridge is one of the seats predicted to change to Labour.

Callistemon21 Sat 18-Mar-23 13:54:57

MayBee70

They can’t find a safe seat for him can they. My dream is for Lord Buckethead to beat him in the election…..

😲

He renounced his peerage, apparently, as he wants to do away with the Lords.

He stated that he is now Count Binface

But, of course, a Count is still a Lord, your Lordship 😀

nadateturbe Sat 18-Mar-23 14:00:02

Callistemon grin

MaizieD Sat 18-Mar-23 14:52:37

I don't think we have Counts in our peerage. The equivalent is an Earl

So I don't think Count Binface is in danger of being abolished 😄

FannyCornforth Sat 18-Mar-23 15:01:57

Make Up Your Own Caption time!
(There are some cracking posts on this thread grin)

Oldbat1 Sat 18-Mar-23 15:34:30

Nowt as queer as the Tories! Can’t understand why they’ve backed him again - perhaps even the true blues now want to lose.

M0nica Sat 18-Mar-23 16:24:07

I assume it is because they think he is an electoral asset.

Over the last 10 years, DD has made money on betting the Conservatives will be returned at each General Election and currently she thinks they will get back next time as well.

I know the result most people on here want, but we do not always get what we want, so do not start counting your chickens too soon.

MaizieD Sat 18-Mar-23 16:55:55

Does your DD have sound evidence for her prediction, MOnica? Or has she just made lucky guesses (though as she's your child I would doubt if the latter were true grin)?

Callistemon21 Sat 18-Mar-23 17:02:24

MaizieD

I don't think we have Counts in our peerage. The equivalent is an Earl

So I don't think Count Binface is in danger of being abolished 😄

Yes, they're known as Earls but their wives are known as Countesses although some women are Countesses in their own right.

Complicated isn't it!

Callistemon21 Sat 18-Mar-23 17:03:07

When is an Earl not an Earl?
When she's a Countess.

Oreo Sat 18-Mar-23 17:28:11

M0nica

I assume it is because they think he is an electoral asset.

Over the last 10 years, DD has made money on betting the Conservatives will be returned at each General Election and currently she thinks they will get back next time as well.

I know the result most people on here want, but we do not always get what we want, so do not start counting your chickens too soon.

Oooh, I feel a bet coming on😁I could use the money.

Oreo Sat 18-Mar-23 17:30:50

Depends on how Boris gets on this Wednesday, he may be out on his ear.
Saw a pic of him this morning ‘leaving his home’, in a shirt and suit, no tie, suit rumpled and mud stained on jacket and very muddy on trousers and shoes.How can he leave home in that state?

Fleurpepper Sat 18-Mar-23 17:41:43

He was in a much worse state when he left Russian Oligarch Lebedev's mansion in Italy, when Foreign Secretary. Barely could walk and couldn't put a sentence together. My guess is that he has been blackmailed ever since, the reason he appointed Lebedev, linked to the KGB, to the Lords.

Now THAT is truly worrying.