Gransnet forums

News & politics

Johnson and Trump

(87 Posts)
Whitewavemark2 Tue 21-Mar-23 12:02:36

We all know that the privileges committee is to interview Johnson on Wednesday, and I find it very alarming that, just like Trump and his supporters, Johnson and his supporters are trying to undermine the democratic process of the privileges committee claiming that it is Labour lead.

Not true of course, - yes Harriet Harmon a parliamentary grandee and Labour is chairing the committee, but it is actually weighted in the Tories favour.

GrannyGravy13 Tue 21-Mar-23 12:29:17

If this was a court of law it would be rendered invalid as HH has repeatedly on record stated that in her opinion BJ has lied, so not impartial as the Chairperson should be.

Whitewavemark2 Tue 21-Mar-23 13:20:08

GrannyGravy13

If this was a court of law it would be rendered invalid as HH has repeatedly on record stated that in her opinion BJ has lied, so not impartial as the Chairperson should be.

It isn’t just HH, but the whole committee have said that it appears Johnson has lied. The committee don’t forget, is weighted in favour of the Tories.

The point is that this isn’t a court of law, however, evidence has been presented to the committee and it appears to them that Johnson indeed mislead parliament, however, his evidence is yet to be heard and I shan’t be able to watch as going out to eat and theatre tomorrow😡

MaizieD Tue 21-Mar-23 13:30:15

Could also point out that Johnson was fined for breaking the law on 'gatherings' during covid. If he believed that the fine was unjustified he could have appealed it at the time.

MaizieD Tue 21-Mar-23 13:33:22

I'm not altogether sure that Harman 'repeatedly' stated her opinion that Johnson lied, GG13. Do you have any evidence to validate that claim?

CoolCoco Tue 21-Mar-23 13:33:23

His defence is that it wasn't him but he blames his advisers and he was too busy to know all the details. So what about all those times he stood up at the covid briefings reading the rules etc ? Can he really say "it wasn't me?" It doesn't surprise me - he wouldn't know the truth if it hit him in the face. Hell get away with it unfortunately.

GrannyGravy13 Tue 21-Mar-23 13:33:29

Whitewavemark2 I wasn’t defending BJ.

I just think that it has become so blatantly obvious that he has been economical with the truth no matter who was on the privileges committee it would be nigh on impossible to put together an impartial panel.

MaizieD Tue 21-Mar-23 13:37:20

GrannyGravy13

I just think that it has become so blatantly obvious that he has been economical with the truth no matter who was on the privileges committee it would be nigh on impossible to put together an impartial panel.

So you think he should be let off because everyone knows he's a congenital liar?

MaizieD Tue 21-Mar-23 13:43:09

Of course, whatever the Privileges Committee recommends it is up to Parliament to accept or reject their findings as they have a vote on whether or not to do so. A vote that, I understand, they will not be whipped for.

So if the committee recommends sanctions and Parliament votes in favour of accepting them, what then? Will his supporters claim that all the MPs who vote in favour are biased against him? Would we then have the sorry spectacle of the UK's Legislative body (you know, the people who make the law) being pursued thorough the law courts? (Though I'm not sure that would even be possible)

GrannyGravy13 Tue 21-Mar-23 14:04:15

MaizieD

GrannyGravy13

So you think he should be let off because everyone knows he's a congenital liar?

No I have repeatedly posted on GN that BJ should be held to account.

I was just pointing out the blatantly obvious that it is probably impossible to get an unbiased panel

Whitewavemark2 Tue 21-Mar-23 14:13:22

I am very worried that Johnson will not be held to account, he is such a slippery eel and his lies and corruption have never been confronted apart from him being given the sack from various employment.

If nothing is done if he is indeed found guilty of misleading parliament then our democracy will have yet another brick chipped from its edifice.

Parsley3 Tue 21-Mar-23 14:15:34

Johnson is being given the opportunity to convinced the privileges committee (biased or otherwise) that he is did nothing wrong. He has a team of lawyers to help him to put his case and he believes that he will triumph. I can't wait to watch this tomorrow.

MaizieD Tue 21-Mar-23 14:16:29

GrannyGravy13

MaizieD

GrannyGravy13

I was just pointing out the blatantly obvious that it is probably impossible to get an unbiased panel

How is he going to be held to account if doubts are cast on the probity of the Parliamentary committee set up to do it? (Which has at least 2 KCs on it). And he can't be tried through the courts because, AFAIK, misleading parliament isn't a criminal offence. Nor one that could be a civil offence because they need to prove some sort of concrete harm.

Not blaming you, GG13, because this is being promulgated by Johnson supporters, but it really is very silly.

Whitewavemark2 Tue 21-Mar-23 14:30:40

Johnson’s supporters are largely members of the ERG, the very ones now making life more difficult for Sunak - to Johnson’s glee.

LadyHonoriaDedlock Tue 21-Mar-23 14:33:32

Johnson was lying his way out of trouble since he was at Eton. I imagine he was doing it at his prep school in fact. I also imagine that he learned early on that lying helped him to evade a thrashing from his (<cough> allegedly abusive) father. It seems to me that while he enjoys winging it through life he really is afraid of being caught in the consequences and given a metaphorical parental walloping. It's not just his corpulent form that is reminiscent of Billy Bunter. YAROO! I say old chaps! YOWW!

It also interests me that both Johnson (<cough> allegedly) and Trump had abusive fathers.

Whitewavemark2 Tue 21-Mar-23 14:56:01

Dr Amir Khan GP Retweeted

Caroline Lucas

Just a reminder as this dossier emerges - taxpayers are forking out for a £220K+ contract for Boris Johnson’s personal legal fees, as he attacks & undermines a cross-party Parliament Committee Inquiry carrying out the democratic will of a House of Commons he is not fit to be in.

Oreo Tue 21-Mar-23 15:04:23

It’s going to be televised, should be an interesting watch.

winterwhite Tue 21-Mar-23 15:18:02

And like Trump, BJ will ignore any outcome unfavourable to himself. And the result prob not known till mid May, we hear, in case it influences the local elections. Pitiful.

Oldbat1 Tue 21-Mar-23 15:28:14

Not sure why the UK public are having to pay his lawyers fees? I think I’ve read over £200,000.

Whitewavemark2 Tue 21-Mar-23 15:41:16

The Queen seemed to have known the rules and yet the PM didn’t?

Grantanow Tue 21-Mar-23 17:45:39

Trump and Johnson both use similar tactics to avoid blame, not hesitating to undermine constitutional proprieties, megaphone bluster and denigrating others. In my opinion they are both worthless and would be a danger to the public good if returned to office in any capacity, possibly excluding dogcatcher (no intention to offend that profession).

MayBee70 Tue 21-Mar-23 17:52:26

GrannyGravy13

MaizieD

GrannyGravy13

Well it’s difficult because everyone heard him lie. Those of us watching him on tv heard him lie. When Tugendhat was asked during the leadership election if Johnson was a liar he said ‘yes’. The only person on the the committee that could possible be unbiased would be someone who had been shipwrecked on a desert island for the last few years. It seems to me that his only excuse is that he can’t help lying: it’s what he does.

pascal30 Tue 21-Mar-23 18:37:10

Can someone tell me why he isn't paying his own legal fees when he apparently earned £5 million last year...

MaizieD Tue 21-Mar-23 20:21:38

pascal30

Can someone tell me why he isn't paying his own legal fees when he apparently earned £5 million last year...

Have you ever known Johnson pay for anything?

LadyHonoriaDedlock Tue 21-Mar-23 21:31:18

MaizieD

pascal30

Have you ever known Johnson pay for anything?

It amazes me how often we hear about people who helped to fix a large loan for him. He's incapable of living within his considerable means, it seems. He has a number of maintenance payments to make and Carrie has expensive tastes.