Gransnet forums

News & politics

Proposals for an octopus farm in Spain

(46 Posts)
Dinahmo Wed 29-Mar-23 15:39:28

I've just read about proposals for a new octopus farm in Spain. They will crammed into tanks and then frozen alive. They are intelligent sedentary creatures who are able to solve a variety of tasks

Avaaz have started a campaign and I am attaching a link

secure.avaaz.org/campaign/en/ban_octopus_farming_loc/?cXxfwbb

Also - here's a link to an item in euro news

www.euronews.com/green/2022/02/24/an-environmental-disaster-europe-will-soon-be-home-to-the-world-s-first-octopus-farm

MerylStreep Wed 29-Mar-23 15:45:23

The Film The Octopus Teacher comes to mind.

Germanshepherdsmum Wed 29-Mar-23 15:49:34

Thanks for bringing it to my attention Dinahmo. How terribly cruel. I have signed the petition.

Fleurpepper Wed 29-Mar-23 18:56:14

So have I and shared it. Such intelligent and sensitive animals.

MayBee70 Wed 29-Mar-23 20:04:40

I’ve been enthralled by cephalopods ever since I saw a programme about cuttlefish years ago. What I don’t understand about octopus is how they can be so intelligent when they live for such a short time.

Iam64 Wed 29-Mar-23 21:03:46

Signed and shared. Did anyone else hear a research programme reported on radio 4 last week. The researcher provided an octopus, contained in a tank with a ball. The creature played by throwing the ball, to bounce on the side of its container, the octapus caught the ball and continued its game of catch/throw. The researcher was excited by the level of intelligence shown

Steve McQueen “cooler’ sprang immediately to mind.
The cruelty some humans inflict on sentient beings is horrific

MayBee70 Wed 29-Mar-23 21:30:47

I listened to a podcast about them a while back. It said that they were like a species that had developed parallel to ourselves, totally different in every way except for intelligence. Pity we don’t use ours more wisely.

winterwhite Wed 29-Mar-23 22:11:28

Interesting post. The notion of the proposed farm is terrible. And octopus intelligence is a fascinating subject. What do they use it for in their daily life?

But the sight of them makes me squirm. I hate their eyes. I’m sure I’d make them squirm and they’d hate my eyes too, so the octopus and I had best pass one another by.

Daisymae Wed 29-Mar-23 22:32:55

I see nearly 500,000 have signed. It's a truly awful idea. No limits to man's capacity to think up ways to torture other creatures who inhabit the earth.

MayBee70 Thu 30-Mar-23 09:58:33

winterwhite

Interesting post. The notion of the proposed farm is terrible. And octopus intelligence is a fascinating subject. What do they use it for in their daily life?

But the sight of them makes me squirm. I hate their eyes. I’m sure I’d make them squirm and they’d hate my eyes too, so the octopus and I had best pass one another by.

I think they mainly use their intelligence to escape predators. Have you seen the footage of an octopus covering itself in shells to hide from a shark? They also grow amazingly fast. One of the things that made me love them so much is the way the females, having had their babies, tend to and stay with them and just waste away in the process. As a young, exhausted mother of small children when I saw that for the first time I kind of thought ‘I know how you feel’. They fascinate me. As for the way cephalopods change colour: that just blows me away.

FannyCornforth Thu 30-Mar-23 10:03:17

Horrific sad

Liz46 Thu 30-Mar-23 10:57:31

I have already signed and shared this. It's awful.

Sparklefizz Thu 30-Mar-23 11:18:03

Signed and shared.
Thank you Dinahmo for providing the link.

pen50 Sat 01-Apr-23 11:13:24

I suspect that if octopuses had worked out how to farm us for food, most of them would think it a jolly good idea.

annab275 Sat 01-Apr-23 11:24:58

I have signed, but it makes me think of all the other sentient beings we use for food. There is always cruelty involved. I am almost vegan because of it.

TwinLolly Sat 01-Apr-23 11:28:11

Signed and shared. Thanks!

Nannan2 Sat 01-Apr-23 11:28:27

Are you sure this wasnt just an APRIL FOOLS PRANK?? Theres one on this morning emails from Frankie & Bennys saying theyre going to start delivering by drone!

Whitewavemark2 Sat 01-Apr-23 11:30:49

Nannan2

Are you sure this wasnt just an APRIL FOOLS PRANK?? Theres one on this morning emails from Frankie & Bennys saying theyre going to start delivering by drone!

No it isn’t.

Ps I’ve signed

Moongazer912 Sat 01-Apr-23 11:31:51

No it’s true

FannyCornforth Sat 01-Apr-23 11:33:59

Of course it isn’t an April Fool hmm
1. It was in the news days ago
2. It ain’t funny

Bluecat Sat 01-Apr-23 11:36:58

I saw this petition elsewhere and signed up immediately. Octopuses are my favourite animal. They fascinate me, and have done ever since I read about one in an aquarium who would creep out of its tank at night, snack on the other fish and climb back into its tank. Any creature that could be so sneaky was clearly intelligent.

Since then, I have read more about them and watched a few documentaries, including the lovely My Octopus Teacher. My interest in them has grown and it seems to me that they are the closest we'll ever get to meeting aliens - beings whose bodies seem strange to us and whose brains have developed differently from ours and yet show definite signs of intelligence, such as problem-solving. One thing that fascinates me is their apparent ability to act emotionally. They have been observed to punch fish for no apparent reason other than spite, and I have read about octopuses in aquariums deliberately squirting water at workers they disliked. In one case, the worker left because she had a job in another city but when she came back on a visit the octopus immediately drenched her. It had remembered her although it hadn't seen her for months, and it knew it didn't like her.

To treat these intelligent, sensitive creatures so brutally is unthinkable. I hope the petition is successful.

Moggycuddler Sat 01-Apr-23 11:42:42

Just appalling. I am pretty much vegan anyway because of cruelty to animals for food. But such intelligent creatures with such a huge capacity for suffering - awful to think of.

Cat4 Sat 01-Apr-23 11:47:13

Thats awful. I have put the link onto
my Face Book page

Funnygran Sat 01-Apr-23 11:58:16

It sounds horrific. I’ve read many times that they are intelligent but solitary creatures. Thank you for sharing the link. I’ll sign the petition.

HannahLoisLuke Sat 01-Apr-23 12:13:54

Barbaric idea. I’ve signed and shared.