Gransnet forums

News & politics

Thank you Britain for signing up to destroy my home

(62 Posts)
Whitewavemark2 Sat 01-Apr-23 06:04:15

Where shall I go once it is all gone?

The UK’s latest trade deal with Asia will see the UK abandon European regulations and previous tariffs on palm oil at the behest of Malaysia – a country notorious for its rife logging, resource extraction, exploitation, corruption and land-grabbing.

Signed today, the Comprehensive and Progressive Agreement for Trans-Pacific Partnership (CPTPP) will bring a mere 0.08% to Britain’s economy at the expense of environmental safeguarding against a product linked to mass deforestation.

The demand for palm oil has decimated forests across south-east Asia.

Whitewavemark2 Sat 01-Apr-23 06:06:12

The photo to go with title, of an orangutan simply won’t post.

But I will keep trying.

FannyCornforth Sat 01-Apr-23 06:08:55

Will this do, WW?

Whitewavemark2 Sat 01-Apr-23 06:09:55

😄👍 excellent!

Whitewavemark2 Sat 01-Apr-23 06:10:37

And me

Whitewavemark2 Sat 01-Apr-23 06:14:37

When we were on holiday in The Maldives, we experienced a couple of days of hazy sunshine, and were told that it was because of the forests being burned in Malaysia. Imagine the fear and pain those wonderful apes are going through.

Look at a map and the distance between the Maldives and Malaysia.

I weep at our inhumanity.

FannyCornforth Sat 01-Apr-23 06:38:49

It is absolutely unbearable WW
We are such an evil species.
I’m going to get stick for this, but I do think it will be a good thing when we eventually get wiped out.
We are like a vile virus destroying our host

nanna8 Sat 01-Apr-23 08:38:15

Maybe if they had stayed with Europe they would have been discouraged from making deals like this.

Whitewavemark2 Sat 01-Apr-23 09:03:14

nanna8

Maybe if they had stayed with Europe they would have been discouraged from making deals like this.

Yes- the EU has rules in place.

M0nica Sat 01-Apr-23 09:18:54

I lived in Malaya as a child. I loved it there. It is so sad to see everything happening there now.

MayBee70 Sat 01-Apr-23 09:22:03

I signed a petition about this a couple of days ago but didn’t realise it was down to this trade deal. I’ll try to find it and do a link.

choughdancer Sat 01-Apr-23 09:44:13

Absolutely awful, and only possible because of Brexit.

tickingbird Sat 01-Apr-23 09:47:17

Just appalling. Check labels and don’t buy anything that uses palm oil. Every little bit helps.

FannyCornforth Sat 01-Apr-23 09:49:37

It’s in so many things tickingbird sad

ronib Sat 01-Apr-23 09:55:33

Anyone watch Kemi Badenoch explain that the Uk buys about 1 per cent of its palm oil from Malaysia and that dropping the tariff from 2 per cent to 0 is not going to cause deforestation in Malaysia? Palm oil is actually a very good product.

Also the EU buys in products which are also harmful to the environment. So swings and roundabouts come to mind…….

Callistemon21 Sat 01-Apr-23 10:00:20

FannyCornforth

It is absolutely unbearable WW
We are such an evil species.
I’m going to get stick for this, but I do think it will be a good thing when we eventually get wiped out.
We are like a vile virus destroying our host

It was reported on a programme a while ago that there are only 1,030 (?) Highland gorillas left in the world.

I said to DH "Imagine if the news report said 'there are only 1,030 humans left in the world'"

He replied dourly "Well, at least the Earth might have a chance to recover".

This is just not acceptable, we had a chance to make a difference here.

Callistemon21 Sat 01-Apr-23 10:01:50

nanna8

Australia is part of this group, nanna8

Whitewavemark2 Sat 01-Apr-23 10:03:44

Yes it seems to be in so much.

I think that the best way is to cook absolutely everything from scratch using butter where necessary and never margarine. But it is also in shampoo, cosmetics etc.

I’m sure if the movement was large enough, products would display the fact that they didn’t use or sell palm oil.

I am hoping that future governments can withdraw from the Malaysia agreement.

I see that the USA has withdrawn because of the low standards, with no benefit.

Whitewavemark2 Sat 01-Apr-23 10:04:39

ronib

Anyone watch Kemi Badenoch explain that the Uk buys about 1 per cent of its palm oil from Malaysia and that dropping the tariff from 2 per cent to 0 is not going to cause deforestation in Malaysia? Palm oil is actually a very good product.

Also the EU buys in products which are also harmful to the environment. So swings and roundabouts come to mind…….

What are you talking about😡.

volver3 Sat 01-Apr-23 10:05:19

ronib

Ohhh look, a flying pig...

The UK buys about 1% of Malaysia's palm oil. That's not the same as what you wrote.

Daisymae Sat 01-Apr-23 10:07:40

This was the driver to leave the EU. An avoidance of checks and balances. Let's just line our pockets and to hell with the repercussions.

ronib Sat 01-Apr-23 10:22:37

volver3 what exactly are you trying to say?

ronib Sat 01-Apr-23 10:27:20

Daisymae

This was the driver to leave the EU. An avoidance of checks and balances. Let's just line our pockets and to hell with the repercussions.

I wonder why it’s okay to keep the UK in poverty? The EU is not perfect and in any case, we’re out of it. I really object to being stuck with the mindset that keeps this country from moving on and up.

volver3 Sat 01-Apr-23 10:41:55

This is what I'm trying to say:

The UK doesn't buy 1% of its palm oil from Malaysia, it buys 1% of Malaysia's palm oil. These 2 things are not the same.

Kemi says palm oil is a good product. How? What makes it good?

The tariff situation does not scale; if there are no tariffs at all the we will buy more of it and hence cause more damage.

Just because Kami says it, doesn't make it true.

ronib Sat 01-Apr-23 10:42:46

It makes sense to try and find out what Kemi Badenoch had to say on the deal as you do have a very partisan approach to presenting your side of a story.
Doesn’t mean I agree with either of you but a fuller perspective is important surely?