Gransnet forums

News & politics

New search for little Maddie

(163 Posts)
maddyone Tue 23-May-23 11:11:55

I hope they find her. It would bring some peace to her poor parents.

Blondiescot Tue 23-May-23 11:14:58

If the 'poor parents' hadn't left her and her siblings alone in the first place while they were out enjoying themselves, it would never have happened in the first place. Sorry, but it infuriates me that millions have been spent on the 'campaign' to find Maddie, while there are hundreds of children who go missing every year. Who is fighting to bring peace to their families?

Calendargirl Tue 23-May-23 11:18:13

I wonder why they feel the need to publicise this new search? Why not wait and see if they find anything?

So often in this and other cases new developments seem to happen which come to naught.

GrannyGravy13 Tue 23-May-23 11:23:05

Calendargirl

I wonder why they feel the need to publicise this new search? Why not wait and see if they find anything?

So often in this and other cases new developments seem to happen which come to naught.

The search is being led by the German Police, English and Portuguese police are just there to observe. Not sure that the McCanns have had anything do with this latest search.

According to the morning news it’s all to do with the prime suspect who is in jail in Germany for the rape of a women in her 70’s.

karmalady Tue 23-May-23 11:26:46

new evidence from the prime suspect, perhaps a bit of conscience-easing. I do hope the Mccann family finally get closure.

All to easy to allocate blame, hindsight is a wonderful thing

Calendargirl Tue 23-May-23 11:30:08

Yes, I realise this search was not instigated by the McCanns.

I hope they find her, closure must be better than this limbo of never knowing.

Mollygo Tue 23-May-23 11:34:42

If she was my daughter, I’d be grateful for the search, though not for the publicity. The endless criticisms just added to the heartbreak. Who’d want to invite that again?

grandtanteJE65 Tue 23-May-23 11:35:14

Distressing as it is for parents when children go missing, or for any relative when an adult does, after all this time, surely they have accepted that Maddie must be dead?

Or otherwise so brain-washed by whoever kidnapped her, or paid for a child they could not legally adopt that she has no knowledge of being Maddie,

By now, if she is still alive, she is plenty old enough to have gone to the police herself.

I don't for a minute believe that she is alive and feel that hard as it is, her family needs to accept that they will never know what happened. And that no more police money should be used in searching for her.

maddyone Tue 23-May-23 11:39:31

My understanding of what is happening is exactly the same as yours GrannyGravy.
It maybe that the McCanns welcome this latest development, or they may not. We don’t know.

Nannashirlz Tue 23-May-23 11:41:46

I just don’t understand why so much man power and money into one child when they are 1000s also missing. I feel for any parent having to go through this hopefully the parents get closure

biglouis Tue 23-May-23 11:55:30

If the 'poor parents' hadn't left her and her siblings alone in the first place while they were out enjoying themselves, it would never have happened in the first place

Certainly no one could accuse them of being helecopter parents. More like dump your kids in the lounge and go off to the duty free bar for a few drinks.

They have also contrived to shut down any investigative website using the threat of lawyers and legal action. Not to mention structuring their so called "charity" as a business to make it less financially accountable.

crazyH Tue 23-May-23 12:00:14

I think they are investigating the crimes of the prime suspect and nothing to do with special attention being given to Madeline McCann.

Casdon Tue 23-May-23 12:00:29

Blondiescot

If the 'poor parents' hadn't left her and her siblings alone in the first place while they were out enjoying themselves, it would never have happened in the first place. Sorry, but it infuriates me that millions have been spent on the 'campaign' to find Maddie, while there are hundreds of children who go missing every year. Who is fighting to bring peace to their families?

That’s really unkind. The McCann’s have fought so hard to find out what has happened to their daughter, don’t you think they have spent years regretting leaving the children alone while they were a few hundred yards away?
I really hope they do find her, at least then her parents will know what happened. Reservoirs often contain bodies the police divers weren’t looking for specifically as well, so I hope it also helps solve some other crimes.

Anniebach Tue 23-May-23 12:03:09

Parents always left children in their holiday camp chalets whilst they went dancing ,

Boz Tue 23-May-23 12:07:15

Yes. We have all done this; especially on holiday.
A mistake was made, I feel, in not locking the door of the apartment. There is a theory that Maddy woke up and trotted off to get her parents and was picked up by a car driven by a cruising abductor.
Nasty to blame parents.

Squiffy Tue 23-May-23 12:08:36

I feel sorry for Maddie’s siblings. Have they been able to lead a ‘normal’ life?

Smileless2012 Tue 23-May-23 12:12:05

Yes that's true Annie but I seem to remember that the last person to check on the children didn't go into their bedroom so couldn't say if she was still there at that time.

HeavenLeigh Tue 23-May-23 12:12:22

I cant even imagine what it must be like to have a child go missing, so many millions spent on this particular case, and no further forward, I hope they get closure, but I also feel so sorry for other parents who have missing children and little publicity for their children.

Germanshepherdsmum Tue 23-May-23 12:13:35

Blondiescot

I agree. I have never left my child, on holiday or otherwise. So no, Boz, we have not all done this.

Margiknot Tue 23-May-23 12:15:57

I also got the impression that the point of the search is to look for possible evidence against the German suspect. Who ever the perpetrator was needs to be stopped from harming others.

Doodledog Tue 23-May-23 12:17:29

I'm sure that the McCanns have said that her name was Madeleine, not Maddie. Just like Denise Bulger complained when people shortened James' name to Jamie, and 'Suzy' Lamplugh's mum, who said that her daughter was always known as Susannah. It might seem like a small thing, but I think it must be really annoying for the parents to see reports about their missing/dead children where complete strangers use shortened versions of their names that the family never used. It feels very disrespectful. I'm not blaming people on here, as journalists start it, and unless we hear the parents' distress there is no way we can know, but I do wish they (the journos) would stop it.

downnotout Tue 23-May-23 12:20:53

I sincerely hope they find her and give her parents some closure. I know people think they should never have left her and her siblings alone that night but lots of parents let their kids run free on holiday (although usually in an inclusive and guarded resort and not at night!) so I do sympathise with them. What I do not understand is why this case has taken complete precedence over every other missing child case over the years. It has cost millions and although no amount of money is enough to find a missing child I wonder how other parents of missing children must feel about this case being so different.

Witzend Tue 23-May-23 12:25:44

Doodledog

I'm sure that the McCanns have said that her name was Madeleine, not Maddie. Just like Denise Bulger complained when people shortened James' name to Jamie, and 'Suzy' Lamplugh's mum, who said that her daughter was always known as Susannah. It might seem like a small thing, but I think it must be really annoying for the parents to see reports about their missing/dead children where complete strangers use shortened versions of their names that the family never used. It feels very disrespectful. I'm not blaming people on here, as journalists start it, and unless we hear the parents' distress there is no way we can know, but I do wish they (the journos) would stop it.

Agree 100%. Her parents never called her ‘Maddie’.

biglouis Tue 23-May-23 12:27:13

The parents have certainly had some nice trips and met a few celebrities and heads of state on the backs of whatever happened.

I can never forget the hatred that was spewed against Jamie Bulger's mother when he was murdered. She was castigated for being an unfit mother. She had the child with her and slipped his hand to pay for something in a shop. He ran off. She wasnt sitting drinking with her mates.

I have a lot of sympathy for her because I also, as a child, used to run off in shops and "hide". If some apparently kindly person had come up to me and offered to "take me back to mummy" I would not have known any better than to go with them. I lived a short bus ride from the shopping arcade in Liverpool where Jamie was taken by those two boys. My sister used to shop there.

But she was working class and judged differently by the tabloids and public opinion. At least they didnt have social media back then.

Doodledog Tue 23-May-23 12:29:17

Mrs Bulger was adamant that her son was called James. Never Jamie.