Gransnet forums

News & politics

Puzzled about 'kidnapping' lambs

(169 Posts)
ExDancer Sat 27-May-23 09:31:29

Sorry if there's already a thread about this - I have looked but not found one.
I can't get my head round the thinking behind these vegans taking lambs away from their mothers as a protest - a protest against what? People eating meat?
Actually the lambs looked old enough to survive without their mothers, and they must have been pretty tame or they'd never have been caught. I certainly couldn't go up to a lamb on a field and pick it up. My husband might be able to pick up one of his own lambs of he had a bucket of sheep nuts with him but otherwise its a terrible job involving herding them into a small space (usually with dogs) and cornering them, and they're so agile! A pet lamb will come running up to you like a puppy of course, but usually they run away.
What did they do with the lambs when they'd got them? How are they going to feed them? They look too mature for a bottle.
(How handy there was a photographer at the event!)

Blondiescot Sat 27-May-23 09:38:35

These things are just a publicity stunt! There's no other point to them.

Glorianny Sat 27-May-23 09:45:48

Just looked at this and I admit I don't understand the reasoning behind it. How can it be right to separate a lamb from its mother, or from the herd? The onlylink I could find is the Daily Mail www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-12126009/Will-stop-eco-clowns-Just-Stop-Oil-throw-orange-powder-Animal-Rising-kidnap-lambs.html
Just seems odd to me that you would subject an animal to mistreatment because you don't like the way others are treating animals.

NotSpaghetti Sat 27-May-23 10:09:30

ExDancer - if you look at the video they did have sheep nuts - or some other food.

henetha Sat 27-May-23 10:13:10

This is absolutely daft, and unkind. What on earth....?

Callistemon21 Sat 27-May-23 10:23:39

Just seems odd to me that you would subject an animal to mistreatment because you don't like the way others are treating animals

It's just plain stupidity.

A young woman in Australia who was protesting on a farm broke down the fences and the farm animals got mauled and eaten by dingoes.

Campaigning for the ethical treatment of animals is one thing, but these daft actions endanger animals and alienate the general public.
How can anyone take them or their message seriously?

Hetty58 Sat 27-May-23 10:38:39

Unkind? I don't think so. The lambs look about ten weeks old, so would only have a few more weeks to live before being slaughtered - to end up on plates with a bit of mint sauce. Now, that's unkind! At least those three were rescued.

The orange powder on the show garden looks pretty harmless too, probably would wash off in the next shower.

The whole point of these actions is to raise public awareness. What's more disruptive, the protests - or the end of civilisation as we know it, mass starvation and the death of the planet?

M0nica Sat 27-May-23 10:39:57

What they did was animal cruelty and they should be prosecuted. The lambs they took looked very young and should be with their mothers.

These fascists, whether climate or animal, are dictators who reject democracy and expect everyone to do what they tell them,

None of them has anything constructive to offer to deal with the problem they .demonstrate about

henetha Sat 27-May-23 10:41:37

All they seem to be achieving at the moment is annoying people. But, yes, you do have a good point. Urgent action is needed to save our beautiful planet.

henetha Sat 27-May-23 10:42:04

That was to Hetty

Callistemon21 Sat 27-May-23 10:42:30

Oh, the public are aware, all right!

Criminal acts do not get the public onside or are these people too thick to realise that?

The orange powder on the show garden looks pretty harmless too, probably would wash off in the next shower.
No, it wasn't orangeade powder or kali, it was paint.

henetha Sat 27-May-23 10:48:16

They are going about it in the wrong way, I agree Callistemon21. It's no good annoying us. It's governments who should be urged to act against climate change.

Callistemon21 Sat 27-May-23 10:50:15

henetha

All they seem to be achieving at the moment is annoying people. But, yes, you do have a good point. Urgent action is needed to save our beautiful planet.

Over-population is one factor.
I was told we need young people in the UK to pay our pensions and the population is decreasing here.
Not everywhere.
Sorry - but the Earth cannot continue to sustain such huge numbers of people.

I hope all these protestors are doing their bit about that, pro-actively campaigning in countries where the populations increase but famine threatens.

When we were told that there were only just over a thousand mountain gorillas left in the wild I remarked to DH "Just imagine if that was humans"
He said "Well, the Earth might have a chance to recover if that were so".

Throwing orange paint at a rewilded, sustainable garden is not the answer.

Katie59 Sat 27-May-23 10:52:25

They should be charged with theft and fined like any other criminal would be.
Eating meat is quite legal if they choose not to, fine, affecting the lives of others is not acceptable.

nightowl Sat 27-May-23 11:42:01

The headlines are deliberately inflammatory. Even Nick Ferrari (not known for his support of Animal Rising) said on LBC yesterday that, as someone who had farmed sheep, he wouldn’t be too concerned about the supposed pain of the lambs being ‘torn from their mothers’ as they were of an age to be ready for market anyway. So they had a lucky escape.

nightowl Sat 27-May-23 11:46:55

Eating meat may be a choice but there is a third party involved who doesn’t get to vote. There will always be people who stand up for the voiceless, thankfully

Norah Sat 27-May-23 11:53:57

henetha

It's governments who should be urged to act against climate change

Indeed. I wish the government would act.

Blondiescot Sat 27-May-23 11:57:23

Whichever way you look at it, at the end of the day, it's still theft. Are they going to compensate the farmers for their loss?

GrannyGravy13 Sat 27-May-23 12:02:10

Just because these activists were allegedly fighting for their cause does it mean that they can get away with criminal acts to publicise their goals?

nightowl Sat 27-May-23 12:08:50

No GrannyGravy and I’m sure they won’t get away with it, but it doesn’t mean they’re not right.

Hetty58 Sat 27-May-23 12:11:25

M0nica:

'What they did was animal cruelty and they should be prosecuted. The lambs they took looked very young and should be with their mothers.'

No, not that young - and how old is the lamb you eat? Do you believe they go straight from mum to slaughter? They go to market - or on a long, cruel, trip abroad at that age. Which cruelty do you prefer?

Katie59:

'Eating meat is quite legal if they choose not to, fine, affecting the lives of others is not acceptable.'

- you contradict yourself. Your legal (but immoral) choice to eat meat is affecting the lives of people everywhere

henetha:

'They are going about it in the wrong way, I agree Callistemon21. It's no good annoying us. It's governments who should be urged to act against climate change.'

How would you go about it then? They have to do something dramatic and controversial to start the conversations. Public opinion spurs on government decisions - but often it's too little and far too late, unfortunately.

If there's no urgent need to raise awareness, why is ExDancer puzzled? Maybe read my link and find out exactly how your lamb is produced?

www.animalaid.org.uk/the-issues/our-campaigns/animal-farming/suffering-farmed-sheep/

VioletSky Sat 27-May-23 12:25:25

Good points Hetty

It's always seemed weird to me that we can own living things and thier offspring

Hoping those lambs are happily bouncing about the place somewhere

I have a large garden, I'm now eyeing up a couple of lambs that are going to be Sunday roast quite soon and wondering if they would enjoy being lawnmowers instead

Katie59 Sat 27-May-23 12:30:16

Hetty

Then 99% of the population are immoral you are and extremist
keep your opinions to yourself, why do you think you have the right to tell others what to eat

Usernametaken Sat 27-May-23 12:36:11

Some commenters saying it’s wrong to take baby Lambs from their mothers

Don’t know if you are , but when baby Calves are born they’re taken straight from the Mother, after all we drink her milk which was meant for her baby.

If it’s a boy it will be slaughtered, if a girl it will be grown so the whole process can begin again.

Imagine giving birth and never getting to feed or care for your baby. It’s so cruel 🥲

Usernametaken Sat 27-May-23 12:36:44

Don’t know if you are aware…….