Gransnet forums

News & politics

Post Office Scandal - Ruined Lives

(19 Posts)
NanaDana Sat 27-May-23 18:02:32

"The Post Office scandal ruined lives and tore apart families all because of a fault in the IT system. Between 2000 and 2014, more than 700 sub-postmasters were wrongly accused of theft, fraud and false accounting due to the flaw in the Horizon accounting software." Some went to jail, some even committed suicide.
Whilst compensation negotiations continue for those victims who are still with us, those responsible for initiating the criminal charges can surely be clearly identified by examining contemporary documents. Am I being unreasonable to expect that they should be investigated and brought to book? This scandal didn't just "happen". Everything that was done was based on the decisions of Senior Executives and their so-called IT "experts". Do we just ignore what they did?

Rosie51 Sat 27-May-23 18:22:09

Private Eye carried this story for years. It was known there was a fault in the system. Some postmasters pleaded guilty to the charges even though they were innocent for fear of greater punishment having been advised a guilty plea would 'help them' The whole affair is a total disgrace and stain on those who knew the truth but decided to sacrifice innocent people.

Rosie51 Sat 27-May-23 18:22:47

And yes they should be brought to book!

MayBee70 Sat 27-May-23 18:25:36

Darren Jones (future leader of the Labour Party imo) has been working tirelessly on this issue.

Dinahmo Sun 28-May-23 14:36:12

This is old news. The tragedy/scandal is that it still hasn't been resolved.

seadragon Sun 28-May-23 15:42:32

www.southwalesargus.co.uk/news/national/23551487.post-office-used-racist-slur-describe-suspects-notorious-horizon-scandal/
"The information came to light through a Freedom of Information (FOI) request obtained by Eleanor Shaikh, a supporter" recently...which is why this scandal is in the news again.

MerylStreep Sun 28-May-23 15:53:05

While the head of the PO at the time was a part time vicar.
I hope she rots in hell 😡

Kim19 Sun 28-May-23 19:22:10

I'd like to see her (and everyone who wrongfully accused these innocents) spend some time in jail before she rots in hell.

mumofmadboys Sun 28-May-23 19:22:13

I think that is a dreadful comment MerylStreep.

foxie48 Sun 28-May-23 19:27:27

Dinahmo

This is old news. The tragedy/scandal is that it still hasn't been resolved.

IMO injustice is never "old news" it's just something that has to be kept alive. I am totally sickened by the treatment of these totally innocent people, I think we should all wrote to our MP (at the very least).

Doodledog Sun 28-May-23 19:30:37

It is a national disgrace. The very thought of being wrongly accused of a crime is bad enough, but to be jailed, to lose your livelihood and reputation, not to mention your freedom must be unbearable.

There should be significant compensation for the victims, and if there is so much as a sniff that this could have been prevented, the perpetrators should go to jail themselves.

MerylStreep Sun 28-May-23 19:42:10

mumofmadboys

I think that is a dreadful comment MerylStreep.

Do you? You think that’s worse than her lying through her teeth which caused a pregnant woman to go to prison, people committing suicide, families destroyed.
Being referred to in racist tones.
You’ve got a very twisted view of what’s dreadful.
I’m beginning to think that you agree with the evil b+%#££&*ds that they were guilty.

mumofmadboys Sun 28-May-23 22:17:41

I have huge sympathy towards the post office employees who were wrongly accused. I agree that it has had devastating effects on their lives and they should be well compensated. Nothing will ever make up for their loss of liberty and broken relationships.
I still find it appalling that a human being can say they hope another person ' rots in hell'.

MaizieD Sun 28-May-23 22:57:18

There should be significant compensation for the victims, and if there is so much as a sniff that this could have been prevented, the perpetrators should go to jail themselves.

There was some publicity about the compensation offered a few months ago. As I recall the amounts were pitifully small when taking into consideration what these poor people have been put through. Sums like £10,000 IIRC. An insult to them really...

pascal30 Mon 29-May-23 10:44:00

It was absolutely appalling... I certainly agree that the perpetrators should go to jail... those poor people will never recover especially from the shame they suffered.. wrongly

Grantanow Thu 01-Jun-23 09:18:08

Conspiracy to pervert the course of justice springs to mind as a possible charge.

Doodledog Thu 01-Jun-23 09:26:12

Agreed. I hope the victims are working on a class action, and that it gets to court before it is too late for them to properly enjoy the compensation they deserve. Too often these things get kicked into the long grass and nothing is done for years/decades.

aonk Thu 01-Jun-23 11:15:04

My DS’s best friend has been helping his parents throughout this dreadful ordeal together with his brother. This couple were featured in an article in the Times this week. They lost their 2 businesses and were on the verge of bankruptcy. Their physical and mental health has seriously deteriorated. Despite the unfailing support of all their family they’re still suffering. Where is the justice for these people?

MaizieD Thu 01-Jun-23 11:24:57

I still find it appalling that a human being can say they hope another person ' rots in hell'.

Where do you think these poor, wrongly accused people have been, mumofmadboys?

In a living hell. Some of them for more than 20 years.

A shame that the perpetrators of this terrible injustice will never suffer in the same way...