Gransnet forums

News & politics

What is Boris Johnson up to?

(75 Posts)
Ramblingrose22 Sun 04-Jun-23 23:48:11

I don't think think Boris's unredacted WhatsApp messages from May 2021 will be a great deal of use to the Covid enquiry so why is he claiming he is willing to help in any way he can?

He knows full well that the key stuff is probably from January/February 2020 onwards so he is only pretending to be helpful.

If the scientists are going to give evidence of their conversations with Minsters and their scientific advice to the Government from early 2020 onwards that should capture the real story of whether the Government were really following the science.

I am hoping that the PM's diaries from early 2020 will be given to the enquiry as they may also reveal why Boris never attended early Cobra meetings. Perhaps he was too busy partying at No.10 or on holiday knowing what was coming down the line.

Sunak promised "accountability, integrity and professionalism" but is hellbent on a cover up of his and other Ministers' actions and decisions during the pandemic. It is ironic that Boris's decision to hold a public enquiry with a wide remit is what will expose Sunak's hypocrisy and empty words.

Let's hope the courts rule that the enquiry should be the judge of what is relevant, not the Government, or the enquiry will be an expensive whitewash at the taxpayers' expense.

ronib Mon 05-Jun-23 05:47:07

The psychodrama which surrounds BJ might hit the pause button as Carrie’s due date is around now. So expect a bit of peace and quiet for a month or so? Maybe longer if we’re lucky.

vegansrock Mon 05-Jun-23 06:08:01

Well he hardly ever attends parliamentary debates or votes, the job he’s paid to do, quite often on holiday or in the USA earning $$$$$s giving after dinner speeches, so I doubt we will notice his so called paternity leave. I think he’s trying to undermine Sunak, as there’s no love lost between them

Doodledog Mon 05-Jun-23 07:40:06

I think he’s trying to undermine Sunak, as there’s no love lost between them
That’s my take on it. He’s ruthless when crossed and vindictive with it. The whole Brexit mess came out of a feud with Cameron, if I remember correctly. He will bring anyone down if they get in his way.

Daisymae Mon 05-Jun-23 08:47:32

Yes, I agree that Johnson has others in his sights. Someone on the radio this morning said that most of the messages were about coffee orders. In which case why not release them? I think that they should risk turning on Johnson's old phone, which would be of greater interest.

Grantanow Mon 05-Jun-23 09:21:35

Self whitewashing.

lixy Mon 05-Jun-23 09:42:45

I agree with Vegansrock and Doodledog - he's a very bad loser according to his brother, Joe. I heard him speaking a while ago relating an anecdote about family table-tennis and the tantrums if BJ lost.

Casdon Mon 05-Jun-23 10:37:57

I just wonder if he can remember everything that was in the messages he sent in 2020. By doing this with his new phone, he is effectively saying he has nothing to hide, so if his original messages are released they should be unredacted too. Knowing him, he will hang himself.

NotSpaghetti Mon 05-Jun-23 10:43:20

In my opinion a work phone is used for work and not his property - nor the information on it.

Private phones are private and not for work use.
I don't know why this is even discussed. All the data and messages should be handed over (and the older phone too).

NotSpaghetti Mon 05-Jun-23 10:44:15

What is Boris Johnson up to?

He's pretending to be open and innocent.

maddyone Mon 05-Jun-23 11:09:03

Whatever BJ is up to, Rishi Sunak is on television right now, lying through his teeth about the small boats.

Whitewavemark2 Mon 05-Jun-23 12:03:28

maddyone

Whatever BJ is up to, Rishi Sunak is on television right now, lying through his teeth about the small boats.

Expect more of that, particularly as the covid enquiry gets underway and Sunak’s role in it becomes ever more apparent.

The level at which the government appears to have ignored the scientific advise is pretty grim.

Oreo Mon 05-Jun-23 13:26:24

I guess that if he’s been asked to provide WhatsApp messages from May that year then that’s what was wanted?
Surely all the important stuff wasn’t agreed by WhatsApp messages tho?
Am on the fence a bit about private messages being looked at, a civil liberty thing surely?
Why can’t politicians and everyone who works for government only be done by work phone? That way they can be handed over as evidence.

Oreo Mon 05-Jun-23 13:28:55

Forgot to say I have no idea what Boris Johnson is up to, but you’d think having two youngsters and a wife about to pop another one out would be enough for anyone to be going on with.

Wyllow3 Mon 05-Jun-23 13:32:31

My guess is that if the messages are a mix of personal and work/political - and I can imagine Johnson doing this all too well, as his "party activities" were blurring the two -then you have to demand the lot. From 2020.

HousePlantQueen Mon 05-Jun-23 14:01:07

Doodledog

*I think he’s trying to undermine Sunak, as there’s no love lost between them*
That’s my take on it. He’s ruthless when crossed and vindictive with it. The whole Brexit mess came out of a feud with Cameron, if I remember correctly. He will bring anyone down if they get in his way.

I agree. Johnson is a self serving, ruthless individual. From what I remember, he missed 5 COBRA meetings. Reports are that he was holding a family conference at Chequers, trying to sort out his family mess as he basically told his existing children that they were illegitimate (in the eyes of the Catholic Church) because his marriage to their mother was annulled so that he could marry his mistress, Carrie. Nice

maddyone Mon 05-Jun-23 14:06:38

Well BJ mustn’t understand the law. There’s no such thing as illegitimate any longer. Hasn’t been for many years.

MadeInYorkshire Mon 05-Jun-23 14:20:17

He will most definitely have a 'cunning plan'! Think possibly it's to do with Sunak and the current Govt in the hope that him being 'honest' (HA!) he may get another chance at the plum job. The Govt definitely have something to hide!

I do not understand why more has not been made of Hancock's WhatsApp messages?

"We frighten the pants off everyone with the new strain"

"Yep that's what will get proper behaviour change"

"When do we deploy the new variant"

In order to DEPLOY anything, by definition - 'bring into effective action', you have to HAVE it!! Did they let it out? Globally - in an attempt to cull the population and bring Agenda 21 into action - that's my view, call me a conspiracy theorist if you like but this whole thing does NOT add up! I first smelled a rat when they were deliberately inflating the death figures - it's all just dreadful, we don't have a hope in hell, and I fear for the lives of my DGD's ....

HousePlantQueen Mon 05-Jun-23 14:30:15

maddyone

Well BJ mustn’t understand the law. There’s no such thing as illegitimate any longer. Hasn’t been for many years.

I know that, I was just musing on the conversation between Johnson and his children.....'well, the thing is chaps......I was never married to your Mother'.......

maddyone Mon 05-Jun-23 16:38:23

That’s fine HPQ smile

ronib Mon 05-Jun-23 18:14:21

If we all suddenly stopped even thinking about /discussing BJ, would he just go away, disappear never to be heard of again?

maddyone Mon 05-Jun-23 18:17:35

I think you’re right ronib but the media will never let us forget him. They’re too afraid that he’ll try to make a comeback.

ronib Mon 05-Jun-23 18:38:46

maddyone he can’t make a comeback if we have cancelled him? I wish ….

Grantanow Wed 07-Jun-23 08:08:32

I doubt BoJo plans a political comeback. More likely he is keeping his brand in view to keep up his income from giving talks to people with too much money and not enough discernment.

NanaDana Wed 07-Jun-23 08:24:31

Just the usual smoke and mirrors from someone who has no moral compass whatsoever. He will only willingly release data which he knows will not incriminate him. I do wonder what his "old" smartphone would reveal if it could be traced and made available. So far, very little has stuck to this teflon-coated, sloping shouldered, non-loadbearing creature. I suspect that he will simply continue to slither on, maintaining a high media profile and making "loadsamoney" from personal appearances etc. He wouldn't be the first...