Gransnet forums

News & politics

Oxfam and JKR

(152 Posts)
RosesandLilac Wed 07-Jun-23 09:51:41

Iā€™m sure I am not the only person whoā€™s read this and been shocked šŸ˜³
www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2021/06/09/oxfam-training-guide-blames-privileged-white-women-root-causes

Thankfully I stopped supporting Oxfam years ago after the Haiti abuse broke. As they probably rely on my generation to volunteer in their shops perhaps this might make some people think again.

GrannyGravy13 Wed 07-Jun-23 09:59:28

One privileged white wooden here, getting used to being blamed for all thatā€™s wrong both here in the U.K. and the world ā€¦

RosesandLilac Wed 07-Jun-23 10:09:54

This is even worse , misogynistic and rascist. It reminds me of the Nazi caricatures of Jews šŸ¤¬
www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-12164005/Fury-Oxfams-Pride-cartoon-depicting-angry-Terf-character-critics-say-resembles-JK-Rowling.html

Witzend Wed 07-Jun-23 10:14:30

My dd was working for a big NGO in Haiti at the time, RosesandLilac, and has stated categorically that the same was going on with workers from every NGO - including the most well known and ā€˜saintedā€™ ones. Although prostitution was officially illegal in Haiti, prostitutes were everywhere and only too keen to get the business. Unemployment was at 60% even before the earthquake and from all accounts the wealthy elite gave not a toss about the mass of ordinary people.

I gather that itā€™s was widely assumed within the NGO community that Oxfam was singled out for political reasons.

Another female NGO worker (not with Oxfam, but an equally well known one) who dd knew well, had complained to her managers that male co-workers were bringing prostitutes back to their shared accommodation. She was told that if she didnā€™t like it, she could find somewhere else to live.

Re the widespread general poverty in Haiti, during a trip home (she was there for 2 years) dd once collected dozens of pairs of outgrown childrenā€™s shoes from family and friends, to take back for the masses of children who couldnā€™t go to school, since they had no shoes. They filled a large suitcase, and Iā€™m glad to be able to say that once they were told what it contained, British Airways waived their excess baggage charge.

eddiecat78 Wed 07-Jun-23 10:15:23

Thanks so much for highlighting this - I wanted to but didn't know how to do the link to the Daily Mail piece.
I was absolutely appalled when I viewed the cartoon - it clearly is meant to be JKR. Irrespective of anyone's views of her surely no-one approves of Oxfam's behaviour?

RosesandLilac Wed 07-Jun-23 10:23:52

My BIL was in Sudan at the time of LiveAid and he told us about donated goods from Britain, clearly labelled with the names of big charities being taken by the corrupt government officials and military. So much of the well-intentioned donations never made it anywhere near the intended recipients.
Thatā€™s truly shocking Witsend but sadly I shouldnā€™t really be surprised I guess. The poor have always been exploited one way or anotherā€¦..

Caramme Wed 07-Jun-23 10:41:09

Sadly the appropriation of gifted items does not only occur at the destination country. I was with my elderly mother who was donating good quality items to one of the bigger charities about 5 yrs ago. The two women behind the counter grabbed the two bags - we were the only people in the shop at the time - and proceeded to rifle through the contents. They both grabbed a couple of items declaring that they would have them. One woman stuffed a blouse into her own bag as we watched. My Mum then demanded her items back. They were returned resentfully and we took the bags to the local hospice shop. What disturbed me was how absolutely blatant those women were.

Foxygloves Wed 07-Jun-23 10:44:38

How to lose supporters and income at a stroke.
I wish people /organisations would set their own houses in order before setting themselves up as moral arbiters

karmalady Wed 07-Jun-23 10:54:11

my big regret is giving so much very good stuff to oxfam in the past

FannyCornforth Wed 07-Jun-23 10:55:44

I cancelled my DD last year.
I wish that I could cancel it again šŸ˜”
My father donates a lot to Oxfam, after I have told him about this Iā€™m sure that he will stop too

DiamondLily Wed 07-Jun-23 11:00:07

Well, I won't be donating again, that's for sure. šŸ™„

Smileless2012 Wed 07-Jun-23 11:08:13

Did they really think that this tasteless and grossly offensive cartoon would appeal to any one other than extremists? I suppose they must have done.

25Avalon Wed 07-Jun-23 11:09:30

Our local Oxfam became books only and I gave loads of books before lockdown. I have a big box of books waiting to go but they wonā€™t be going to Oxfam. Probably go to Age Concern or our local hospice shop instead.

maddyone Wed 07-Jun-23 11:19:22

GrannyGravy13

One privileged white wooden here, getting used to being blamed for all thatā€™s wrong both here in the U.K. and the world ā€¦

Me too GrannyGravy. But itā€™s even worse to be a white, professional man!

Callistemon21 Wed 07-Jun-23 11:19:33

25Avalon

Our local Oxfam became books only and I gave loads of books before lockdown. I have a big box of books waiting to go but they wonā€™t be going to Oxfam. Probably go to Age Concern or our local hospice shop instead.

I used to give books to Oxfam but was told, snootily, that they only wanted the latest paperbacks.
Then I found out that, instead of sell8ng collectable books to the public and also making themselves a profit, the Oxfam manager had a deal going with a local antiquarian and secondhand bookstore owner, someone I wouldn't give a used comic to.

maddyone Wed 07-Jun-23 11:34:45

A story about OXFAM from some years ago. I had three gold half sovereigns, left to me by older relatives. Mum wanted to make one into a necklace for me and so I took all three up to Cheshire with me, and together we picked out one of them and she had it made into a gold pendant for me. I took the other two home with me. Later I took the handbag to the OXFAM shop, but forgot to remove the two sovereigns. I remembered that evening and went back to the shop the next morning. The staff denied everything. They found the bag in the ā€˜back roomā€™ because it hadnā€™t yet been put out for sale. But there were no sovereigns in it. We searched every pocket, but no, theyā€™d gone.
Not everyone who works for a charity is honest. Sadly.

25Avalon Wed 07-Jun-23 11:40:29

A retired ex neighbour worked in the Oxfam book shop a few years back. He used to spend hours trawling the internet at home checking the provenance of certain books. He discovered some that were far more valuable than was realised and Oxfam profited from his diligence.

Riverwalk Wed 07-Jun-23 11:49:27

I hate the word prostitute.

NGO workers should be ashamed of themselves exploiting the world's poorest women who are likely selling their bodies to feed their families - and no doubt mere children themselves in many cases.

Callistemon21 Wed 07-Jun-23 11:51:33

Riverwalk

I hate the word prostitute.

NGO workers should be ashamed of themselves exploiting the world's poorest women who are likely selling their bodies to feed their families - and no doubt mere children themselves in many cases.

This
šŸ‘šŸ‘šŸ‘

Really, the worst exploitation, isn't it.

Glorianny Wed 07-Jun-23 11:52:39

The complained about cartoon figure has been removed from the video. Here it is, as it stands now. An important statement about equality and how it still isn't safe in some countries for people who are different twitter.com/Oxfam/status/1666096378299416577?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1666096378299416577%7Ctwgr%5Ea7f024ca8ce71938eba9fe56787d8f793bdace5c%7Ctwcon%5Es1_c10&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fd-3251396569143728512.ampproject.net%2F2305182038000%2Fframe.html

Callistemon21 Wed 07-Jun-23 11:53:14

25Avalon

A retired ex neighbour worked in the Oxfam book shop a few years back. He used to spend hours trawling the internet at home checking the provenance of certain books. He discovered some that were far more valuable than was realised and Oxfam profited from his diligence.

I wouldn't have minded if I knew they'd be sold in the Oxfam bookshop.

VioletSky Wed 07-Jun-23 13:15:12

I got a lovely dress from Oxfam the other day

Gillycats Wed 07-Jun-23 13:15:12

I wonā€™t support Oxfam again. I stupidly thought my donations were going to help people that were starving and poverty stricken.

ā€˜OUR Missionā€™
ā€˜Oxfam is a global organisation committed to creating a world without poverty through its advocacy, development and humanitarian work.ā€™

Theyā€™ve lost the plot. And a lot of support.

Smileless2012 Wed 07-Jun-23 13:29:11

I think the damage has been done Glorianny. A statement about equality and people's safety is rather hollow now. What about JKR's safety?

I agree Gillycats they've lost the plot and those who need the help and support that donations provide may well suffer as a result.

HousePlantQueen Wed 07-Jun-23 13:30:31

I despair. I have long had suspicions about where charitable donations go, just how long have we been asked for money for Water Aid for example? That's me finished with Oxfam., the demonisation of anyone who questions transgender issues frightens and disgusts me.