Gransnet forums

News & politics

James Cleverly….

(66 Posts)
MayBee70 Thu 23-Nov-23 18:39:33

‘Labour claims home secretary was ‘seen and heard’ making disparaging comment about Co Durham seat

Aubrey Allegretti, Chief Political Correspondent
James Cleverly has denied calling Stockton North a “sh*****e” after concerns were raised about child poverty in the Co Durham seat.
Alex Cunningham, the local Labour MP, said the home secretary was “seen and heard” making the comment in the House of Commons.
In video footage it was unclear where the outburst came from but Labour insiders said it was picked up by a microphone and that it was Cleverly’.
This was from The Times.So, did he or didn’t he? Penny Mordaunt said he doesn’t need to apologise because he says he didn’t say it. Latest I’ve heard was that he wasn’t referring to Stockton itself but about the Labour Party

Grandmabatty Thu 23-Nov-23 18:51:23

I believe he has previous on being unpleasant

Casdon Thu 23-Nov-23 18:59:26

We call him James Not Very.

Chocolatelovinggran Thu 23-Nov-23 19:16:28

How charming...

MayBee70 Thu 23-Nov-23 19:18:57

I wonder what the red wall voters in Stockton South are thinking now? Has Cleverly ever been to either of the Stocktons? I doubt if he’ll be going there now. He really must make an apology in parliament now, surely? And to think this is our Home Secretary? I wonder if we’ll be having yet another Home Secretary soon after this. Maybe they’ll have to give Dorries a title and offer her the job or can you only do that with Foreign Secretaries? Methinks the pantomime season has begun…

Casdon Thu 23-Nov-23 19:39:48

Chocolatelovinggran

How charming...

Accurate. It goes back to the William Wiberforce was a Tory quote.

Curlywhirly Thu 23-Nov-23 22:36:47

Apparently (according to the Times) he has said that he aimed the sh*thole jibe at the Labour MP and not Stockton. Well that doesn't make sense, who calls anybody sh*thole?!!! Surely sh*thole refers to a place not a person. 🙄

silverlining48 Thu 23-Nov-23 23:20:48

Yes it would definitely refer to a place not a person .
I believe he is no 8 in an ever increasing line of inadequate short term foreign secretaries.

MayBee70 Thu 23-Nov-23 23:21:44

Curlywhirly

Apparently (according to the Times) he has said that he aimed the sh*thole jibe at the Labour MP and not Stockton. Well that doesn't make sense, who calls anybody sh*thole?!!! Surely sh*thole refers to a place not a person. 🙄

Precisely. He also told Mordaunt that he didn’t say it. Which made her look pretty stupid today when she defended him.

silverlining48 Fri 24-Nov-23 08:29:34

For Foreign secretary read Home Secretary
Prime ministers too come to that; too many changes how do we keep up.
It would be funny if it it wasn’t so serious.

Oldbat1 Fri 24-Nov-23 10:33:31

On Radio 4 pm at 5pm they enhanced the sound picked up by the microphone. I think i can hear him saying s******e. For those who want to hear this enhanced recording it is roughly 17mins in.

MayBee70 Fri 24-Nov-23 11:45:30

Oldbat1

On Radio 4 pm at 5pm they enhanced the sound picked up by the microphone. I think i can hear him saying s******e. For those who want to hear this enhanced recording it is roughly 17mins in.

Thanks. DH heard it in The Times but when I tried to listen to it it was no longer there. This quite often happens with things that he reads earlier in the day as they seem to change the format of it as the day goes by.

Bella23 Fri 24-Nov-23 11:51:04

If he did say it not very" Cleverly "of him.
Who wants themselves or their town described in such a way?
More unneeded trouble for the P.M.

foxie48 Fri 24-Nov-23 12:04:22

Yet another Govt minister who thinks honesty is over rated.

MayBee70 Fri 24-Nov-23 13:36:16

foxie48

Yet another Govt minister who thinks honesty is over rated.

Johnson’s legacy lives on sad. To be honest, I think the government know they’re doomed and don’t really care about what they say or do any more.

growstuff Sat 25-Nov-23 20:31:59

I listened to the enhanced recording a few times. He definitely said s**t but the end of the word was muffled. It sounded like one syllable. "Hole" has one syllable "MP" has two. MP wouldn't have made sense in the context. Who says "It's a s**t MP"?

Iam64 Sat 25-Nov-23 20:42:56

He seems to be a short tempered fibber with a potty mouth

lixy Sat 25-Nov-23 21:04:17

Saddened by this - I read an article written by his wife a while ago and thought he could possibly be one of the good guys. I really hope it becomes clear one way or the other soon as the ongoing suspicion does more damage than the truth.

MayBee70 Sat 25-Nov-23 21:07:44

It’ll just get buried. I’m going to write to the Speaker again if it does.

Grantanow Mon 27-Nov-23 09:30:02

Set me wondering which UK town would win the James Cleverly Prize.

Chocolatelovinggran Mon 27-Nov-23 12:42:01

😁 Grantanow!

Casdon Mon 27-Nov-23 13:38:38

Grantanow

Set me wondering which UK town would win the James Cleverly Prize.

Braintree, obviously!

MayBee70 Mon 27-Nov-23 13:59:21

Someone needs to set up James Cleverly plaques, like the blue plaque ones. There’s a place down the road from us called Shilbottle, the sign to which gets amended on a regular basis.

MayBee70 Mon 27-Nov-23 19:41:47

So that’s it then. Cleverly says he wasn’t referring to Stockton on Tees when he said sh*****e although he now admits that he said it after trying to get away with it.
Deputy Speaker says matter is now closed. Speaker (weakest Speaker I’ve ever known) didn’t even have the decency to preside over it. Matter isn’t over as far as I’m concerned.

foxie48 Mon 27-Nov-23 20:23:39

Does anyone believe Cleverly? I certainly don't and what a way for a Home Secretary to conduct himself!