Gransnet forums

News & politics

Net Migration Shocker

(133 Posts)
Primrose53 Thu 23-Nov-23 21:00:15

www.migrationwatchuk.org/press-release/720

We have been so badly let down.😢

fancythat Thu 23-Nov-23 21:25:03

I think the tide has now turned on this subject.

ronib Thu 23-Nov-23 21:25:40

Bring back Suella?

NotSpaghetti Thu 23-Nov-23 21:33:11

"The main drivers of the increase were people coming to the UK from non-EU countries for work, study and for humanitarian purposes, including those arriving from Ukraine and Hong Kong. For the first time since using our new methods to measure migration, we have also included asylum seekers in our estimates, with around 1 in 12 non-EU migrants coming via this route."

www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/populationandmigration/internationalmigration/bulletins/longterminternationalmigrationprovisional/yearendingdecember2022#:~:text=Total%20long%2Dterm%20immigration%20was,)%20and%20British%20(88%2C000).

I think the ONS details (and their "notes") linked here is a better, more comprehensive read than the link posted above by the OP as it explains the background and main reasons if anyone is interested.

MayBee70 Thu 23-Nov-23 21:39:53

ronib

Bring back Suella?

Gosh. I thought she’d been in charge of it? Has all this happened in the last couple of weeks?? Surely not…

CoolCoco Thu 23-Nov-23 21:45:48

We’re giving out loads of work visas so most of these are legal. Take back control anyone?

ronib Thu 23-Nov-23 22:00:37

MayBee70 is anyone in charge of immigration? What does it mean to be in charge? We don’t have an annual cap on numbers?
I thought Sunak was in favour of increased migration and Suella was not. But who knows exactly?

ronib Thu 23-Nov-23 22:17:26

Suella’s been talking …..

DaisyAnneReturns Thu 23-Nov-23 22:51:22

You may find this interesting,

www.youtube.com/watch?v=LqjZNK29Bqg

Vintagewhine Fri 24-Nov-23 08:11:46

Excellent DAR thanks. An idiots guide to why legal immigration is so high. You don't even need to be able to interpret graphs to understand what's happened.

Grantanow Fri 24-Nov-23 09:30:56

Immigration is here to stay and the Tories know it. Their failure is to fail to build more houses, schools and health facilities. Post-Brexit immigration (approved by visa) from non-EU countries has risen to fill NHS and care sector vacancies and student places at universities (generating much needed fee income). Many of these return home when their course ends. We simply don't have enough younger people to skills train (too few births). If we had not Brexited most of the immigrant intake would have been replaced by free movement. Labour know it too.

GrannyGravy13 Fri 24-Nov-23 09:36:02

Grantanow the birth rate is falling across Europe, along with some Asian Countries Hong Kong and South Korea for example.

maddyone Fri 24-Nov-23 09:59:53

Only 80,000 came from Ukraine. Unsure how many from Hong Kong, but the biggest number were from Nigeria and India according to what I saw yesterday. Several hundred thousand came on student visas and they brought 90,000 dependents with them, including some of their mothers! Many others came to work in the care sector or NHS. We desperately need care workers and NHS workers, but unsure we need so many students and we certainly don’t need their dependents, who simply put pressure on housing and services.
Those who came from Ukraine and Hong Kong are genuinely needing a place of safety and we were able to provide it.

maddyone Fri 24-Nov-23 10:03:40

many of those return home when their courses end

And many don’t! They disappear into the black economy and therefore pay no taxes or insurance, and others simply keep on getting work visas and stay on to work, and bring their families in to join them, if they’re not already here as ‘dependents’ although I’m unsure how anyone can be dependent on a student without a job.

DaisyAnneReturns Fri 24-Nov-23 10:12:22

You really do have a very poor view of your fellow human beings MO. I can only think it's because you know that's how you would behave.

Did you watch the video? Perhaps not. I know some people avoid knowing the truth lest their personal bias takes knock.

eazybee Fri 24-Nov-23 10:22:02

You really do have a very poor view of your fellow human beings MO. I can only think it's because you know that's how you would behave.

An very unpleasant remark, Daisy-Anne, and exactly the sort designed to stifle debate.

fancythat Fri 24-Nov-23 11:01:04

Vintagewhine

Excellent DAR thanks. An idiots guide to why legal immigration is so high. You don't even need to be able to interpret graphs to understand what's happened.

What are the points?
Personally I dont have 10 mins to spare[or dont want to or both].Personally, I dont read all links. But will spare 30 seconds to read some posts.

fancythat Fri 24-Nov-23 11:02:21

You dont have to say if you dont want to.
But I cant be the only person, probably even on this thread, who does not watch a 10 min video.

fwiw, I dont watch all videos family members send either.
Some videos can be way more than 10 mins.

maddyone Fri 24-Nov-23 11:28:22

DaisyAnneReturns

Did you watch the video? Perhaps not. I know some people avoid knowing the truth lest their personal bias takes knock.

You don’t know me at all, and know nothing of how I would or do behave.
Please stop attacking me because my view is different than yours.
I’m entitled to my view just as you are entitled yours, and I would appreciate it if you would concern yourself with joining in the discussion without feeling the need to attack me. Thank you.

Dinahmo Fri 24-Nov-23 11:40:29

Only 3% of that figure are people arriving on boats (ilegally as some would say)

The remainder are here on visas.

MaizieD Fri 24-Nov-23 11:53:55

maddyone

^many of those return home when their courses end^

And many don’t! They disappear into the black economy and therefore pay no taxes or insurance, and others simply keep on getting work visas and stay on to work, and bring their families in to join them, if they’re not already here as ‘dependents’ although I’m unsure how anyone can be dependent on a student without a job.

What evidence is there that 'they disappear into the black economy'? Isn't it up to the Home Office to keep track of people who are here on student visas?

Howe many of those who come on student visas are here to study for a 1st degree or post graduate degree? Certainly universities depend on overseas students for income so we're hardly likely to be discouraging them.

If they remain on work visas then they have a job, so it's surely not a question of families being dependent on a student without a job?

I can't help feeling that the Home Office is not very good at monitoring people here on visas, which, if there is a problem, just compounds it.

DaisyAnneReturns Fri 24-Nov-23 12:02:42

Unpleasant? Stifling debate? What do you call this, eazybee? If you (or the writer) want others to speak softly and with reasoned facts, you need to the same.

I find this disgusting. Others will find it disgusting too. When trying to work out why someone would say that, without any proof or numbers to tell us who and why those described are doing what MO says they are, I have reached only one conclusion. If there is another one I am very happy to learn.

Iam64 Fri 24-Nov-23 12:07:43

Our universities need over seas students. It’s up to the home office to ensure visas etc are effective

MaizieD Fri 24-Nov-23 12:14:34

Iam64

Our universities need over seas students. It’s up to the home office to ensure visas etc are effective

At the graduation ceremony where my DD received her doctorate, some 10+ years ago, the ordinary degrees were being conferred on Business Studies graduates. I would say that well over 90% of the graduates were Asian. Mostly Chinese. I doubt it's any different know. They're a big money spinner.

Iam64 Fri 24-Nov-23 12:26:19

They are MaizieD
A friend who was a senior manager at three different universities said they depended on foreign students
My local university has a large number of students from China