Gransnet forums

News & politics

Charles III gets North Westerners money!

(208 Posts)
Glorianny Fri 24-Nov-23 12:57:38

It seems that if you die without making a will in the NW and relatives can't be found the money goes to the Duchy of Lancaster. Charles made £26 million. Surely this isn't right. The Duchy of Cornwall can also claim. www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2023/nov/23/how-royal-estates-use-bona-vacantia-to-collect-money-from-dead-people-king-charles#:~:text=The%20duchies%20of%20Lancaster%20and%20Cornwall%20retained%20the%20custom%20of,on%20the%20administration%20of%20wills.

Calendargirl Fri 24-Nov-23 13:01:44

Best to make a will then.

Germanshepherdsmum Fri 24-Nov-23 13:07:09

If relatives are found they can claim the estate. I’m surprised you didn’t know this Glorianny. In the rest of the UK the estate also goes to the Crown, last time I looked that was also Charles III. Same with unclaimed assets of dissolved companies. Did you genuinely not know this? What did you think happened to someone’s money if they died intestate with no known relatives?

Louella12 Fri 24-Nov-23 13:10:15

This is common knowledge

paddyann54 Fri 24-Nov-23 13:13:26

ah BUT apparently the King donates it all to charity....lol BELIEVE THAT IF YOU LIKE !!
They are and always have been parasites ,shame so many are blinkered to anything that has a title in front of its name ,if he was plain Charlie Jones there would be an outrage about not just this but the huge inheritance ...untaxed.the massive rises from the public purse etc etc.This "uk" is a very strange place ,Royalty belongs in the middle ages and thats where it should have been left

merlotgran Fri 24-Nov-23 13:19:11

Does anyone know what happens in other countries if somebody dies intestate?

Germanshepherdsmum Fri 24-Nov-23 13:20:06

Typical nasty response from you Paddy. And I’m not blinkered thank you.

GrannyGravy13 Fri 24-Nov-23 13:27:13

If anyone is so anti The Crown getting their money it’s easily remedied make a will

Germanshepherdsmum Fri 24-Nov-23 13:30:30

👏👏👏

Casdon Fri 24-Nov-23 13:34:41

www.thecrownestate.co.uk/about-us/faqs
The King does not personally own or run the Crown estate as I understand it,

JenniferEccles Fri 24-Nov-23 13:34:48

Exactly! It’s something everyone must do, even when we are still young.

This is such a vital document so I would also say, have your will drawn up properly by a solicitor.

It’s not expensive.

RosiesMaw Fri 24-Nov-23 13:37:19

So, false information.

silverlining48 Fri 24-Nov-23 13:41:40

It’s being debated at the moment on r4

Glorianny Fri 24-Nov-23 14:04:18

It isn't false information. The money is being used to renovate properties on the estate which are rental properties
Three sources familiar with the duchy's expenditure confirmed to the Guardian that the estate was using revenues collected from the dead to refurbish its massive property portfolio.

One said that duchy insiders treated the bona vacantia funds as 'free money' and a 'slush fund'.

Properties identified as eligible for funding include town houses, holiday lets, rural cottages, an old petrol station and barns, including one used to facilitate partridge shoots in Yorkshire

One document refers to the renovation of an old farmhouse to help transform it into a high-end residential let while another project saw a farm building converted into commercial offices.

In some instances, the money has been spent to buy log burners for properties owned by the king and rented out by his estate.

Apparently one of the huge funders was servicemen killed during the war who had no relatives and no will.

Glorianny Fri 24-Nov-23 14:05:57

This was all facilitated by a 1925 Act of Parliament which there is no evidence of being debated in parliament.

Germanshepherdsmum Fri 24-Nov-23 14:10:25

Soldiers and other servicemen going to war were required to make wills so I don’t believe that for a moment.

‘Sources familiar with the duchy’s expenditure’ = no evidence at all. Do you always believe everything you read Glorianny?

Norah Fri 24-Nov-23 14:13:34

Out of interest, where should 'unclaimed no relatives found money' go -- apart from Duchy of Lancaster or Duchy of Cornwall?

Germanshepherdsmum Fri 24-Nov-23 14:21:47

It all goes to the Crown.

Callistemon21 Fri 24-Nov-23 14:25:31

Germanshepherdsmum

Soldiers and other servicemen going to war were required to make wills so I don’t believe that for a moment.

‘Sources familiar with the duchy’s expenditure’ = no evidence at all. Do you always believe everything you read Glorianny?

Yes, it's another load of rubbish.

Inheritance tax is paid by the Duchy of Lancaster, along with income tax and capital gains tax.

Where does the money go from the estates of people who die without leaving a will?
The net income from these estates is transferred to registered charities established by the Duchy, after allowing for the cost of undertaking the duties and responsibilities associated with the historical obligations of the Duchy.

How do I find out in the County Palatine if the Duchy is dealing with the estate of a relative of mine who may have died intestate (without a will)?
You need to write to the Duchy Solicitor with a simple family tree showing your relationship to the deceased. Letters should be sent to: Solicitor for the Affairs of the Duchy of Lancaster, Farrer & Co, 66 Lincoln’s Inn Fields, London, WC2A 3LH. Please note: The Duchy Solicitor does not administer intestate estates outside the County Palatine, this is handled by the Treasury Solicitor (www.treasury-solicitor.gov.uk)

Everyone is responsible for ensuring they have made a will.

The Duchy of Lancaster is a business, with all that entails.
Who is the present Chancellor of the Duchy?
The Chancellor is a Government Minister appointed by His Majesty The King on the advice of the Prime Minister. The Rt. Hon. Oliver Dowden CBE MP is the current Chancellor of the Duchy of Lancaster. He was appointed in October 2022.
The annual accounts of the Duchy are submitted to Parliament.
They are available for anyone to view.

Ladyleftfieldlover Fri 24-Nov-23 14:26:26

Germanshepherdsmum

Before elder son set off for Iraq (he was a Royal Marine for six years) he had to make a will.

Grany Fri 24-Nov-23 14:32:27

Stop secretly seizing the assets of dead people to line your own pockets - leave them to be used for public good!

There is a petition from 38Degrees to stop this disgraceful money grab

Callistemon21 Fri 24-Nov-23 14:34:04

Oh, what a daft untrue post, Grany
Just showing your prejudices.

Why not find out the facts about where the money goes to instead of spreading libellous untruths?

Callistemon21 Fri 24-Nov-23 14:35:06

Conspiracy theories abound on the internet.

Callistemon21 Fri 24-Nov-23 14:36:10

So charities will miss out then?
Are they happy about that?

GrannyGravy13 Fri 24-Nov-23 14:39:03

Grany

Stop secretly seizing the assets of dead people to line your own pockets - leave them to be used for public good!

No one is secretly seizing the assets of dead people Grany if it was a secret we wouldn’t know about it.

It is everyone’s responsibility to ensure that their affairs are in order, part of that is to make a will.

As for taking dead soldiers assets, all serving military personnel make a will before deployment (there is a MOD form for use for those who do not want to use a solicitor) along with being advised to do so when first signing up