Gransnet forums

News & politics

So pleased to see hostages being released.

(1000 Posts)
foxie48 Fri 24-Nov-23 18:46:20

GN hasn't had much to say in the last few days, perhaps like me you have been holding your breath and hoping to see hostages being released and aid flowing into Gaza. I am not religious so I can't pray but I am hoping that this release of hostages continues and this breathing space gives an opportunity for a long term peace plan to evolve.

Sparklefizz Fri 24-Nov-23 19:11:38

Yes. I have been holding my breath too.

sodapop Fri 24-Nov-23 19:41:14

So have I, let's hope it all works out well and things will improve long term. I can't imagine how the hostages and their families are feeling now.

lixy Fri 24-Nov-23 19:47:11

Thank goodness they've made a start - looked as though it wasn't going to happen at all for a while. If they can do it once....? All fingers and toes crossed for a longer 'gap' but I'm not optimistic.

Ladyleftfieldlover Fri 24-Nov-23 19:49:49

I’m afraid I’m not optimistic. Israel want to wipe out Hammas and Hammas want to annihilate Israel.

silverlining48 Fri 24-Nov-23 19:54:28

It’s good news of course…but …. sadly not confident things will improve. Really hoping I am wrong.

Callistemon21 Fri 24-Nov-23 20:54:08

I'm usually Pollyanna but I can't stop thinking about those hostages not released and the worry that hostilities may start again.

ronib Fri 24-Nov-23 20:59:34

Yes Callistemon21 the numbers seem very small. Is it so that ceasefires can be negotiated every few weeks? The hostilities are bound to happen again - in just a few days.

maddyone Sat 25-Nov-23 00:42:29

Fantastic news for all those released, thirteen Israelis and a group of Thai citizens and one Filipino. I’m so happy for them, but I realise they may be very traumatised. I hope to see further releases in the coming days.

Whitewavemark2 Sat 25-Nov-23 07:05:24

Watching the gentleness being used with those helping the released women. 🥲

silverlining48 Sat 25-Nov-23 07:29:13

I noticed that too WWM.

Oreo Sat 25-Nov-23 09:40:03

maddyone

Fantastic news for all those released, thirteen Israelis and a group of Thai citizens and one Filipino. I’m so happy for them, but I realise they may be very traumatised. I hope to see further releases in the coming days.

Me too.
They will have to be told about about what happened to their families, friends and neighbours on Oct 7th, some will have seen things happen and some not aware at all.☹️

Oreo Sat 25-Nov-23 09:42:27

The released Palestinian prisoners waving hamas flags as they went home to the West Bank.Says it all really, Israel surrounded by hamas supporting countries/ regions.

silverlining48 Sat 25-Nov-23 09:59:38

Do you mean they were waving Palestinian flags which they have had since 1964 ?

maddyone Sat 25-Nov-23 10:04:40

The Palestinians being released are convicted criminals. The women guilty of terror offences and the youths guilty of more minor crimes of rioting, throwing stones and other missiles at Israeli soldiers.
However focusing on the positive, the release of the innocent Israeli hostages and the release of the innocent Thai and Filipino nationals who were merely working in Israel. All will be terribly traumatised in a way we can only guess at.
I wish them peace.

silverlining48 Sat 25-Nov-23 10:10:12

Actually Palestinians can and are held indefinitely, without charge or conviction of any crime. Do you not think that is scandalous and completely undemocratic. ? Many people would.

silverlining48 Sat 25-Nov-23 10:12:02

I am happy for everyone to be released and my wish is peace fir all

Grammaretto Sat 25-Nov-23 10:12:51

I pray for peace every day.
The cruelty and grim scenes we have witnessed recently of the victims of warmongers is just appalling.

Ofcourse everybody who was snatched should be released unharmed. I hope that they are.

paddyann54 Sat 25-Nov-23 10:14:58

The anti Palestinian bias on here is shocking.They were waving the flag of their country NOT Hamas ' flag .Some of these people were locked up for throwing stones for goodness sake and some were just children ....well I suppose they should be happy they were imprisoned and not SHOT by IDF like many many were .
The Palestinian people have been treated appallingly for decades ...THEY are the victims here .The thinking world is coming round to seeing the terrorist state of Israel for what it is
They cant play the victim card for ever,its almost 100 years since WW11 and yes it was the worst of atrocities BUT it shouldn't give them a get out of jail free card !!
I await the anti semitic posts that will without doubt follow .

maddyone Sat 25-Nov-23 10:20:55

What I think is scandalous and undemocratic and completely illegal is the taking of innocent hostages who were sleeping in their beds. This is an aberration of everything that is civilised. But Hamas are not civilised.
I’m hoping for more releases today, hopefully the release of more of the children.

foxie48 Sat 25-Nov-23 10:21:45

I'm not sure I would classify boys who throw stones as criminals worthy of locking up in prison but Israel locks up many Palestinians without any charge being made or any need to say why someone is being locked up, however, this does not in any way excuse hostage taking. The girl given 12 years for attempting to stab a neighbour was 14 at the time and it happened in the very controversial Sheik Jarrah neighbourhood where Israeli settlers have been illegally forcing the Palestinians out of their homes. This in no way excuses a violent act and fortunately the injury was considered "light".

maddyone Sat 25-Nov-23 10:23:12

the Palestinians……. are the victims here

What about the 1400 people murdered by Hamas? Are they not victims?

Freya5 Sat 25-Nov-23 10:24:24

paddyann54

The anti Palestinian bias on here is shocking.They were waving the flag of their country NOT Hamas ' flag .Some of these people were locked up for throwing stones for goodness sake and some were just children ....well I suppose they should be happy they were imprisoned and not SHOT by IDF like many many were .
The Palestinian people have been treated appallingly for decades ...THEY are the victims here .The thinking world is coming round to seeing the terrorist state of Israel for what it is
They cant play the victim card for ever,its almost 100 years since WW11 and yes it was the worst of atrocities BUT it shouldn't give them a get out of jail free card !!

Why would anyone post anti semitic bile in answer to yours. You do know what it means, don't you.
Have you ever been to Gaza, or are you just swallowing terrorist propaganda hook line and sinker.

Callistemon21 Sat 25-Nov-23 10:25:01

paddyann54

The anti Palestinian bias on here is shocking

paddyann
I take your points re the flag and unfair imprisonment but your anti-Israeli bias is clear in every post.

Your obvous bias means you are not in a position to criticise others for what you perceive is theirs.

Galaxy Sat 25-Nov-23 10:33:52

I think what paddy Ann was saying is that she would be accused of anti semitism. And she is right. Every time she comes on and lectures us and tells us to be ashamed I will point out that her post on Starmers wife who is Jewish was deleted for antisemitism.
And the phrase playing the victim card in reference to the holocaust makes me feel ill.

This discussion thread has reached a 1000 message limit, and so cannot accept new messages.
Start a new discussion