Gransnet forums

News & politics

So just how will the carehome & NHS vacancies be filled now?

(42 Posts)
CvD66 Tue 05-Dec-23 13:35:58

With vacancies running at 42,306 for nurses (NHS stats) and 165,000 for care home staff (Skills for care stats), where can these organisations get staff? By increasing entry salary levels for foreigners to the UK to £38,700 pa, the Home Secretary has knocked on the head the current recruitment routes. This government cares nothing that our population is becoming older and sicker, as long as the right wing of the party see the migration numbers come down!

Imarocker Tue 05-Dec-23 13:46:32

Care workers are exempt from the £38700 minimum but cannot bring in dependants straight away. I don’t think anyone in government understands what being a care worker means and what they have to do for some of their clients. Care workers used to be paid more than retail workers and now they are paid less. So why would anyone want to do it?

Germanshepherdsmum Tue 05-Dec-23 13:55:53

The minimum salary level you’re quoting OP is for skilled workers. For care workers it’s £20,960.

Gillycats Tue 05-Dec-23 14:07:15

They need to do something about care workers pay. It’s outrageous how they’re treated. You only get paid for the time you work so if you do 30 mins in an hour that’s half the minimum wage rate. Most don’t get paid for travelling time. That’s why it’s hard to recruit. I gave up because I felt that I was worth more than £3 odd an hour (my visits were in a rural area so there was a lot of travelling between clients). Not to mention when I had to work for nothing because I over run my time with them. A job to make sure vulnerable people were helped in/out of bed, toileted, fed, given medication etc. Pay a good wage, look after their rights and working conditions and the problem will be solved.

Siope Tue 05-Dec-23 14:16:44

It’s cheap, culture war electioneering, and I hate this government and it’s divisive lying rhetoric more every day.

Germanshepherdsmum Tue 05-Dec-23 14:29:32

Can you expand on that wrt care workers please?

MaizieD Tue 05-Dec-23 14:30:39

Germanshepherdsmum

The minimum salary level you’re quoting OP is for skilled workers. For care workers it’s £20,960.

There's nothing about that on the BBC website today. Where did you get that figure for care workers from, GSM?

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-67612106.amp

There is a great deal of concern about British citizens with foreign spouses working abroad. Many who want to return at some time will not come back to jobs paying anywhere near £38+k, so will not be able to bring their spouse or children back with them.

I think the government will need to have a rethink about this measure before they introduce it.

Oreo Tue 05-Dec-23 14:32:10

But it isn’t true Siope didn’t you read the second post on here? Care workers are exempt as are some other needed workers. What is true is that they can’t bring dependents over, at least straightaway anyway.They hope to recruit younger people without ties which will be cheaper for us, the tax payers.

Whitewavemark2 Tue 05-Dec-23 14:33:06

Doesn’t it start next year? 🤞 we will be shot of this rabble by then.

Germanshepherdsmum Tue 05-Dec-23 14:33:34

Government website Maizie. Horse’s mouth.
www.gov.uk/health-care-worker-visa/your-job

Oreo Tue 05-Dec-23 14:33:38

MaizieD I saw the figures on Sky News I think, this morning.

Germanshepherdsmum Tue 05-Dec-23 14:34:55

See link posted above Oreo.

Oreo Tue 05-Dec-23 14:35:28

It starts next Spring Whitewavemark2 but am thinking a Labour government will be happy to stick with it as cheaper all round and reduces migration figures.

Ilovecheese Tue 05-Dec-23 14:39:20

Oreo

It starts next Spring Whitewavemark2 but am thinking a Labour government will be happy to stick with it as cheaper all round and reduces migration figures.

Me too

Oreo Tue 05-Dec-23 14:41:52

Ta Germanshepardsmum👍🏻

Oldnproud Tue 05-Dec-23 14:55:18

It sounds to me like a strategy of short-term gain for long-term pain (the gain being for themselves and the pain for the people).

This Government is staking its life on bringing about figures showing a reduction in immigration figures before the next election, and will resort to almost anything to do that, however temporary the effects and regardless of any longer-term damage that this is likely to do to the country.

Cabbie21 Tue 05-Dec-23 14:59:18

Someone representing the care sector was saying they recruit many care workers from the spouses of skilled immigrants and if they cannot bring wives and families, where will the care workers be found?

grannydarkhair Tue 05-Dec-23 15:05:25

For nearly 30 years I worked for a very reputable care company which is part of a large housing group, it was and still is, one of the best paid in my area. It provides 24/7 Care at Home and Housing Support and/or outreach support to people within their own homes. The service users have differing needs due to e.g. Autism, learning disability often with associated physical difficulties, poor mental health, etc.
Support staff work shifts, who you were supporting determined the hours. Sleep-overs and waking nights are obligatory for the CaH and HS staff positions. Examples of shifts - 10.00-22.30, sleep-over, then 07.00-10.00. Another could be 13.00-22.30, sleepover, 07.00- 16.00. Also, again depending on who you were supporting, you might be working alone apart from the hand-over times (30 minutes at the start and finish of each shift) or you could be working as part of a team covering the hours between 07.00-22.00. Other than during extended periods of waking nights, I very rarely worked the exact same shifts two weeks in a row. This made the life/work balance very difficult at times, especially so for those with young/school age children.
I occasionally have a look through their social media posts to see what’s going on with some of those I helped to support for so long. Every second/third post is for applications for various vacancies throughout the group as a whole. The starting wage for cleaning staff for various offices/headquarters is more than £1.50 per hour than the starting wage for support staff within the care section of the company. Cleaning staff work exactly the same shifts every week. Is it any wonder it’s difficult to find staff for the care sector?

MaizieD Tue 05-Dec-23 18:17:09

Germanshepherdsmum

Government website Maizie. Horse’s mouth.
www.gov.uk/health-care-worker-visa/your-job

The scheme isn't due to start until the spring, GSM. Aren't those the current requirements?

MaizieD Tue 05-Dec-23 18:19:21

Ilovecheese

Oreo

Me too

Well, in view of its effect on British citizens and on families I very much hope that Labour doesn't stick with it. Or modifies it drastically.

MaizieD Tue 05-Dec-23 18:20:34

It sounds to me like a strategy of short-term gain for long-term pain (the gain being for themselves and the pain for the people).

That's what it sounds like to me, too, Oldnproud

Siope Tue 05-Dec-23 18:22:15

Oreo I meant the entire package of proposed reforms, which are simply dog-whistles, not linked to any strategies for economic development, since this shower don’t have any.

Germanshepherdsmum Tue 05-Dec-23 18:26:44

They appear to be the current requirements Maizie. Do you have information about a proposed change?

NotSpaghetti Tue 05-Dec-23 18:27:21

*NHS Nurse Band 4 - £27,586
*Junior Doctor starting salary -£32,300
*Construction Labourer average salary - £23,000
*Care Worker average salary - £23,410
*Farm Worker average salary - £23,400
*University Lecturer average starting salary - £34,804

Just a small selection
copied from Dr Alex Bulat (Cambs) on Twitter/X

MaizieD Tue 05-Dec-23 20:28:21

Germanshepherdsmum

They appear to be the current requirements Maizie. Do you have information about a proposed change?

The thread isn't about current requirements, it's about the new government proposals released yesterday. As per the BBC item I linked to.

There may well be a lower salary requirement in them for health and care workers, but I can't find any information on it.