Gransnet forums

News & politics

Covid Inquiry

(114 Posts)
Dinahmo Wed 06-Dec-23 14:03:21

I've been listening to Johnson this morning and finding it very difficult to accept anything he says as being truthful. Is there anyone out there who still accepts his truth?

toscalily Wed 06-Dec-23 14:13:20

Well its the truth according to Boris grin but no I could not believe a word he says

Whitewavemark2 Wed 06-Dec-23 14:15:41

I’ve been dipping in and out and honestly? I am totally sceptical as I am remembering the holidays and jollifications etc , and am also aware that he was sacked for lying to parliament.

What I do think is that as a libertarian, he was the wrong leader and disastrously do, apart from everything else.

MaizieD Wed 06-Dec-23 14:23:02

I've been trying to follow, but his waffling and evasion of the questions is so boring.

As someone on twitter commented, his standard replies seem to be 'I don't know', 'I don't remember'...

I was amused by his efforts to explain why there was so much infighting among his ministers by saying that, had there been Whatsapp around in Thatcher's time all her Cabinet would have been found to be fighting like rats in a trap. Perfectly normal behaviour for a Cabinet..

MaizieD Wed 06-Dec-23 14:24:53

I think you're being very kind to him, Wwmk2. Libertarian or not, he was clearly completely unfit to be running anything at all, let alone a government.

MadeInYorkshire Wed 06-Dec-23 14:31:51

You can tell he is lying - his lips move ... problem is none of them ill be held to account.

Turns out in New Zealand 11,000 MP's and the elite didn't have the Covid vaccines - wonder why that might be?? I suspect that they did know the 'science' and knew that these vaccines were experimental. I expect the same will apply to here, and I bet those shown having it o the TV were having a dose of normal saline.

There's more to come out over this, and since spotting that they were deliberately inflating the death figures (within 28 days of a positive Covid test - whether they died of a heart attack, cancer or in a road accident), I haven't believed a word they say. The excess death figures are still rising (not Covid) , there will be more pandemics coming along with more lockdowns, deaths, people losing their jobs etc ... I am glad I won't be here, and I want on my headstone "I did tell you ..."

Jaxjacky Wed 06-Dec-23 15:12:37

Interesting as the New Zealand House of Representatives has approximately 120 MP’s MIY.
Might I ask where your information comes from?

MrsKen33 Wed 06-Dec-23 15:20:41

And he is such a bad speaker too.

yogitree Wed 06-Dec-23 15:21:52

I just can't. I also can't even listen to his waffle - it's embarrassing and I know I shouldn't care that he is a fool, but I do. The rest of the world must think we (the citizens) are crazy and ridiculous to have elected an incompetent, lying buffoon like him. Perhaps we are, sadly.

Fleur20 Wed 06-Dec-23 15:27:58

Even if the day dawns when he is able to string a coherent sentence together I wouldn't believe a word he says.
...even if he says his name is Boris...

MadeInYorkshire Wed 06-Dec-23 15:28:33

Jaxjacky

Interesting as the New Zealand House of Representatives has approximately 120 MP’s MIY.
Might I ask where your information comes from?

Hope it works

x.com/liz_churchill10/status/1731900050735788096?s=20

growstuff Wed 06-Dec-23 15:31:34

Fleur20

Even if the day dawns when he is able to string a coherent sentence together I wouldn't believe a word he says.
...even if he says his name is Boris...

But it isn't.

MayBee70 Wed 06-Dec-23 15:44:17

They asked him if he’d deleted his early 2020 what’s app messages and he said, under oath, no. Should they have asked him if he’d got someone else to delete them for him? I was rather looking forward to listening to this over the two days but listening to him waffle on is like having bits of my brain pulled out with a pair of tweezers.

Whitewavemark2 Wed 06-Dec-23 15:48:40

It is grim isn’t it?

He was the PM of the U.K. !!

rosie1959 Wed 06-Dec-23 15:54:46

I have only read the bullet points so far as I have been out all day. Will hopefully get time to listen later but I have the feeling that no matter what he says people have their own thoughts on what happened and not a lot will persuade them otherwise.
As regards to the missing Whats app message who knows I lost a year or so of messages recently

Jaxjacky Wed 06-Dec-23 15:57:50

Thank you MIY I’d looked for an accredited source.

MaizieD Wed 06-Dec-23 16:10:41

As far as the missing WhatsApps are concerned most IT people have said that they are always recoverable, even after a reset to factory state.

Strange that Sunak's WhatsApps have gone missing for the same period...

MaizieD Wed 06-Dec-23 16:14:26

I was rather looking forward to listening to this over the two days but listening to him waffle on is like having bits of my brain pulled out with a pair of tweezers.

That's exactly how I feel, MayBee. I managed a couple of hours but couldn't take any more.

rosie1959 Wed 06-Dec-23 16:18:43

MaizieD

As far as the missing WhatsApps are concerned most IT people have said that they are always recoverable, even after a reset to factory state.

Strange that Sunak's WhatsApps have gone missing for the same period...

Surely then if they are that important some IT experts would have recovered them if it was possible ?

25Avalon Wed 06-Dec-23 16:49:21

Are other countries having similar inquiries or is it just us? Are Scotland having one?

Dickens Wed 06-Dec-23 17:11:49

25Avalon

Are other countries having similar inquiries or is it just us? Are Scotland having one?

I think Sweden's already had theirs - and Norway, either still in process, or finished... they were looking at ways to improve their response 'next time' round, sort of thing.

I believe in some countries there are also criminal proceedings, but I can't remember which ones.

So yes, it's not just us. And it makes sense. I'm sure some good will come out of such inquiries. A 'learning curve'.

I think all countries will, to some extent, be better prepared. It seems they all made some mistakes... inevitably.

Galaxy Wed 06-Dec-23 18:03:57

It might be a useful part of the strategy to think what they will do instead of lockdowns as people wont follow that guidance again.

rosie1959 Wed 06-Dec-23 18:09:31

Galaxy

It might be a useful part of the strategy to think what they will do instead of lockdowns as people wont follow that guidance again.

I suppose that is assuming it’s the same people another pandemic of such magnitude may or never happen in our lifetime. It’s not exactly a regular occurrence

Mamie Wed 06-Dec-23 18:09:55

I do actually almost believe him when he says he can't remember. He seems to have a very limited attention span, to put it mildly.

MayBee70 Wed 06-Dec-23 18:12:48

I wish I had a pound for every time he said ‘I can’t remember’ today. Sky News seem to imply that he did rather well today which surprises me.