Gransnet forums

News & politics

Braverman’s leadership bid.

(77 Posts)
MayBee70 Wed 06-Dec-23 15:48:05

So, while lots of people are glued to the covid enquiry, Braverman has given a speech in parliament to drum up support and challenge Sunak. Wonder which way that is going to go?

Whitewavemark2 Wed 06-Dec-23 15:50:51

I was just going to start this😄.

I listened to her speech, it ranged from out and out lies and hyperbole , to an out and out bid for leadership.

It remains to be seen if she can muster enough support.

Sunak is such a wimp though.

MayBee70 Wed 06-Dec-23 17:26:23

Are we about to get another Conservative leader? And, if we are, is there a possibility that, in the event of an election, the electorate will vote for an openly racist far right Conservative leader? I’m actually really scared that they will.

Primrose53 Wed 06-Dec-23 17:33:00

I really like Suella. She is the only one prepared to say what she really thinks and really does try to sort this problem.

Iam64 Wed 06-Dec-23 17:36:20

Suella has no shame, compassion or integrity. Her Rwanda plan is not only disgusting,it’s illegal. In what universe is that sorting any problem.

Casdon Wed 06-Dec-23 17:37:48

I watched her, and she does say what she thinks, I’ll give her that much. The tumbleweed was audible.

MayBee70 Wed 06-Dec-23 17:41:32

Primrose53

I really like Suella. She is the only one prepared to say what she really thinks and really does try to sort this problem.

It’s people like her that have blown this problem ( and I’m not saying there isn’t a problem) out of all proportion and now they’re panicking because they can’t work out how to solve it. So the only way they can solve it is to take away everyone’s rights, and that includes my rights and your rights too. Be careful what you wish for…

maddyone Wed 06-Dec-23 17:46:46

Sunak is such a wimp though.

Haha, made me laugh, but I totally agree.
I saw Suella Braverman was going to give a speech in Parliament today, but haven’t seen or heard anything else about as I’ve been out. I’ll watch the news at 6.00 and see what’s been going on and what she’s said.

maddyone Wed 06-Dec-23 17:47:26

about it

eazybee Wed 06-Dec-23 17:57:31

"out and out lies and hyperbole"
" an openly racist far right Conservative leader? "
"So the only way they can solve it is to take away everyone’s rights, and that includes my rights and your rights too"

Dearie, dearie me.
Well said, Primrose.

pascal30 Wed 06-Dec-23 17:59:29

It's becoming very noticeable how countries are becoming more right wing... it's a very worrying trend.. it wouldn't surprise me if Braverman has many more supporters now.. I dread the thought of her being voted in..

Germanshepherdsmum Wed 06-Dec-23 18:03:32

Primrose53

She is and she does. And she speaks for more than are prepared to admit it.

winterwhite Wed 06-Dec-23 18:32:27

Saying what you really think is not always clever and advisable. Usually better not to think it.
And she is - or rather was - trying to 'sort the problem' to the satisfaction of her mentors and supporters. Not for the good of those affected.

Germanshepherdsmum Wed 06-Dec-23 18:34:11

Who are ‘those affected’?

winterwhite Wed 06-Dec-23 18:39:14

I thought we were talking about those she hopes to send to Rwanda. Sorry if I've missed something.

MayBee70 Wed 06-Dec-23 19:07:38

James Cleverly says what he thinks, too. And yet, now he’s Home Secretary he’s fully behind the Rwanda scheme even though he allegedly called it batshit.

Casdon Wed 06-Dec-23 19:16:00

From what I’ve seen she doesn’t have the support within the Tory MPs to mount a leadership campaign, she’s just got a small number of vociferous supporters. She’s not popular with the public either, according to YouGove she’s the 19th most popular Tory politician. She is liked by only 15% of the electorate, and 57% said Sunak was right to sack her compared with 20% who said he was wrong.

Casdon Wed 06-Dec-23 19:17:19

Not sure if my slip up was Freudian - YouGov, not YouGove!

growstuff Wed 06-Dec-23 19:19:04

Casdon

From what I’ve seen she doesn’t have the support within the Tory MPs to mount a leadership campaign, she’s just got a small number of vociferous supporters. She’s not popular with the public either, according to YouGove she’s the 19th most popular Tory politician. She is liked by only 15% of the electorate, and 57% said Sunak was right to sack her compared with 20% who said he was wrong.

I wonder who will still be a Conservative MP after the next election. They (and the party members) will be responsible for choosing the next leader.

Attlee Wed 06-Dec-23 19:20:16

And Robert Jenrick has just resigned as Immigration Minister. You really couldn't make this stuff up!

MayBee70 Wed 06-Dec-23 19:33:58

I’m losing track here. Does Jenrick think the new legislation goes too far or not far enough?

Urmstongran Wed 06-Dec-23 19:41:05

Not far enough MayBee. He wants to scrap the ECHR. Like Suella. He’s been her wingman and feels the new Rwanda deal has been watered down to allow ‘loopholes’ and ‘interpretations’ (which of course the raft of lawyers love!).
The Tory party are in meltdown.

Delila Wed 06-Dec-23 19:44:06

I think a mutiny is brewing….

Deedaa Wed 06-Dec-23 19:55:52

A lady in my painting group had been to a meeting of one of her societies and the guest speaker had been Suella She wasn't impressed! She told me their previous guest speaker had been Jacob Rees Mogg and she wasn't impressed with him either. I think she may be joining the wrong sort of societies.

Siope Wed 06-Dec-23 20:05:16

As far as I can work out from Cleverley’s wittering, he’s introducing Schrodinger’s Immigration Bill - both in line with international law ignoring it simultaneously. Do I have that right?

And we now have two potential leadership candidates? I would laugh, if the cretinous, incompetent, facile fools that make up this government weren’t doing so much damage to ordinary people.