Gransnet forums

News & politics

So yet another gov. minister has gone....

(51 Posts)
Margs Thu 07-Dec-23 10:28:17

.......and I wonder how long before the PM dares to ask George Osborne to come back? After all, Rishi shoehorned David Cameron into his cabinet via a hastily arranged peerage.

And the PM's options are dwindling by the minute.

MayBee70 Thu 07-Dec-23 10:43:27

It just dawned on me that, if the Rwanda bill has to go through the HOL’s Cameron ( unelected) can vote for it.

GrannyGravy13 Thu 07-Dec-23 10:50:05

These are the two new ministers replacing Mr Jenrick.

Urmstongran Thu 07-Dec-23 11:15:22

Expect more boats. This isn’t going to stop anytime soon. Jenrick can see that. What’s the point of a law with loopholes that can be (and will be) challenged?

Backlog of dinghy migrants = 175000 so at 300 per plane load it would take 538 planes to clear them off to Rwanda............such is the enormity of the Governmental incompetence.

I’ve given up bothering about it especially as it seems visas for student families are the biggest influx of migrants.

I’m going to vote Reform at the next GE. Yes I’ve heard that ‘splits the Tory vote’ giving Labour a shoo in but it’s likely Labour will win anyway and it might be good to take a few Tory MP’s down and put in some Reform MP’s.

Greta Thu 07-Dec-23 11:20:42

I'm just listening to Rishi Sunak at the press conference. He sounds frantic.

MayBee70 Thu 07-Dec-23 11:22:31

Right. Right. Right….

GrannyGravy13 Thu 07-Dec-23 11:24:58

Not sure who is going to be standing for our seat, think it will do the Conservatives good to be the opposition for the next parliamentary term.

Then they can come back at the election after next united and with a cohesive plan.

Happygirl79 Thu 07-Dec-23 11:25:05

I am so fed up of this elitist government. They are to busy fighting each other like school boys in the playground to actually govern. Bring on some grownups. Bring on MPs able to put the people of this country first for once. It would not matter a jot what the subject matter was. These people are trying to fight their way to the top politically and this trumps the needs of the people of the UK in their minds.

Freya5 Thu 07-Dec-23 15:36:41

Urmstongran

Expect more boats. This isn’t going to stop anytime soon. Jenrick can see that. What’s the point of a law with loopholes that can be (and will be) challenged?

Backlog of dinghy migrants = 175000 so at 300 per plane load it would take 538 planes to clear them off to Rwanda............such is the enormity of the Governmental incompetence.

I’ve given up bothering about it especially as it seems visas for student families are the biggest influx of migrants.

I’m going to vote Reform at the next GE. Yes I’ve heard that ‘splits the Tory vote’ giving Labour a shoo in but it’s likely Labour will win anyway and it might be good to take a few Tory MP’s down and put in some Reform MP’s.

I'm concerned, and so should we all be. We don't know who these people are, recent reports of terrorists amongst the boat people. Also 17,000 of th3m gone missing gone missing. At least students are vetted and legal. Need Home Office to be more vigilant in their handling of these people. See Germany stepping up to also reduce numbers.

growstuff Thu 07-Dec-23 15:46:06

How can anybody know there are terrorists amongst the "boat people", if nobody know who they are?

growstuff Thu 07-Dec-23 15:46:41

PS. Asylum seekers are "legal" too.

MayBee70 Thu 07-Dec-23 15:55:28

Sunak said in his speech that numbers of people trying to enter the country have gone down because of measures put in place over the past year. If this is the case, why are they still desperate to get the Rwanda scheme up and running?

BlueBelle Thu 07-Dec-23 15:59:43

Oh my word it’s so easy to spread a rumour a lady I know I won’t call her a friend said to me when talking about refugees ‘you wait till their armies come for us’ 🤷🏼‍♀️🤷🏼‍♀️🤷🏼‍♀️
You d be better spoiling your vote than voting ‘reform’ my word that is scraping the barrel

fancythat Thu 07-Dec-23 16:01:34

I cant help wondering whether Rishi will be seen by some people to be actually "doing something", when in reality he is not.
Buys him more time.

MayBee70 Thu 07-Dec-23 16:04:11

BlueBelle

Oh my word it’s so easy to spread a rumour a lady I know I won’t call her a friend said to me when talking about refugees ‘you wait till their armies come for us’ 🤷🏼‍♀️🤷🏼‍♀️🤷🏼‍♀️
You d be better spoiling your vote than voting ‘reform’ my word that is scraping the barrel

They’ll probably have another name by the time of the election. I wonder what will be in their manifesto other than ‘stop the boats’?

Greta Thu 07-Dec-23 16:22:21

Well, since "Get Brexit done" worked their next slogan will be "Get Rwanda done."

MayBee70 Thu 07-Dec-23 16:32:15

If, as they say, Rwanda is such a great place to be, why will it act as a deterrent?

Grantanow Fri 08-Dec-23 11:24:07

Rwanda took the moral high ground over the Tories by refusing to sign anything that breached international humanitarian conventions. The Tory Bill to prevent judges from reviewing Ministers' decisions about refugees is morally bankrupt and the start of a slippery slope. Which Tory decisions would be next to be protected from scrutiny?

Paperbackwriter Sun 10-Dec-23 11:32:34

growstuff

PS. Asylum seekers are "legal" too.

Thank you - that needed saying. Some people seem to think any incomers must by definition be deeply suspect.

MaizieD Sun 10-Dec-23 11:39:48

Perhaps we need the graphic from Sunak's tweet from yesterday posting on this thread too.

This is what he intends to do.

ninamoore Sun 10-Dec-23 11:53:02

I expected the boats to actually stop. They’re not; they’re still coming and we’re paying for the people to be flown to another country. Disillusioned: hoping the boat’s would actually stop.

Freya5 Sun 10-Dec-23 12:00:30

MayBee70

It just dawned on me that, if the Rwanda bill has to go through the HOL’s Cameron ( unelected) can vote for it.

Didn't you know, they're all unelected in the HoL, not just the ones you dislike ?

Beesh Sun 10-Dec-23 12:20:12

I read yesterday that Joe Biden and Anthony Albanese are also looking at a third country to process their asylum seekers. Apparently Biden needs to do something to appease the Republicans, who will not sign off more money for Ukraine and Israel at the end of the year. I’m sure they are watching the Rwanda situation very closely.

MayBee70 Sun 10-Dec-23 12:38:01

Freya5

MayBee70

Didn't you know, they're all unelected in the HoL, not just the ones you dislike ?

Yes, of course I know that. My point is that I thought PMs could give peoples titles when they retire etc but I didn’t realise they could just get people into the HOL’s whenever it suits them politically. We could have a whole cabinet made up of people that aren’t answerable to parliament.

BevSec Sun 10-Dec-23 12:42:25

I am going to vote Reform too.