Gransnet forums

News & politics

Anyone fancy a tory 'dream ticket' of Johnson and Farage?

(155 Posts)
MaizieD Sun 10-Dec-23 11:24:58

I can't begin to summarise this article grin

www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-12845693/DAN-HODGES-Tories-really-call-Boris-Johnson-jungle-foe-Nigel-Farage.html

Oreo Sun 10-Dec-23 11:28:26

Err, no!

BlueBelle Sun 10-Dec-23 11:29:23

I can’t even bear to read the article just hearing the two names together makes me want to vomit

MaizieD Sun 10-Dec-23 11:41:08

BlueBelle

I can’t even bear to read the article just hearing the two names together makes me want to vomit

I did skim it, in the interests of research, you understand...

Galaxy Sun 10-Dec-23 11:47:14

I am not sure it matters whether you would like it though. I dont think Farage will go to the Tories but I have been wrong before.

Freya5 Sun 10-Dec-23 12:03:09

MaizieD

I can't begin to summarise this article grin

www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-12845693/DAN-HODGES-Tories-really-call-Boris-Johnson-jungle-foe-Nigel-Farage.html

Well say no more Hodges. It'll never happen, wish people would stop fantasising about ridiculous articles, by hacks, who haven't the imagination to come up with anything better.
Oh yes, he must be writing for a comic.

MaizieD Sun 10-Dec-23 12:05:15

I posted the article to test the water, Galaxy. To see if 'public opinion' agrees with it or not.

Because, as the article says, some tory MPs seem to think the idea is a goer.

(P.S I should have put this in 'Chat', really, to reach a wider section of posters)

25Avalon Sun 10-Dec-23 12:10:46

Too late. The Tories got rid of Boris and Farage is cut to the same coat. It would not work. They will not unite the Conservative Party.

Grantanow Sun 10-Dec-23 13:05:52

Johnson should never, ever, be permitted high office of any kind. Farage asks interesting questions but his own answers are appalling. A nightmare ticket for any sane Tory.

ronib Sun 10-Dec-23 13:10:12

No no no no
Nope

silverlining48 Sun 10-Dec-23 13:14:39

And it’s a No, Nein, Non, Niet from me too.

HousePlantQueen Sun 10-Dec-23 13:15:22

On BBC this morning, Damien Green said that this was either 'mad or malicious' and was the fantasy of a very small group.

Johnson should never be permitted to be in any public funded role as he has proven himself, yet again, to be a liar.

Farage couldn't even get elected in Thanet, which is a staunch Brexit supporting area

I feel as if I am in the crowd scene of a badly written, unrealistic political drama at the moment, nothing surprises me.

pascal30 Sun 10-Dec-23 13:34:41

you've got to be joking...

Cold Sun 10-Dec-23 13:45:03

Galaxy

I am not sure it matters whether you would like it though. I dont think Farage will go to the Tories but I have been wrong before.

I don't know, Farage has been a Tory Party member before during the Thatcher years and he was at this year's Tory party conference

Grannybags Sun 10-Dec-23 13:48:48

Gawd ‘elp us!!

Galaxy Sun 10-Dec-23 14:00:58

I think he might head to the reform party, Cold.

MaizieD Sun 10-Dec-23 14:01:23

Farage couldn't even get elected in Thanet, which is a staunch Brexit supporting area

Perhaps being on 'I'm a Celebrity' will do for Farage what being on 'Have I got News for You' did for Johnson. hmm

I feel as if I am in the crowd scene of a badly written, unrealistic political drama at the moment, nothing surprises me.

I've been feeling like that for the last 7 years, HPQ. But every time I think that nothing more will surprise me, something says 'Hold my beer'...

Oldbat1 Sun 10-Dec-23 15:25:36

No!

Curtaintwitcher Mon 11-Dec-23 06:15:11

The Tories are so divided at the moment that the only solution is to split in two. If the sensible right-wingers join forces with Reform, they may stand a chance of winning the next election.
Johnson had his chance...he blew it. He has shown himself for what he is and is not Prime Minister material. Nor is Starmer.

If only there was someone waiting in the wings, ready to take control and show some backbone. Sadly, right now, I can't think of a single person who is fit to run this country.

Whitewavemark2 Mon 11-Dec-23 07:07:53

If it said the reform party I might believe it. That is the party for weirdos and extremists.

But one word

“Trump”

Anything is possible😬

Whitewavemark2 Mon 11-Dec-23 07:12:23

I actually think that 2024 is shaping up to be a very interesting year.

We have the ongoing climate crises.
2 ghastly wars
2 very interesting elections, with a potential disaster if Trump gets in threatening vengeance.
All the Trump trials.

That will keep me busy for months😄

Grammaretto Mon 11-Dec-23 07:21:10

When Thatcher won her 3rd election in 1987, some people we knew emigrated to France! at least they had better weather
Trouble is there's nowhere to emigrate to now so well just have to grin and bear whatever happens.

GrannyGravy13 Mon 11-Dec-23 07:36:31

I am happy to be corrected but as I recall Nigel Farage has never stood for election as a Conservative just UKIP or similar. Our electoral system doesn’t favour the smaller parties.

Maybe if he stood as a Conservative he just might win 😱

nanna8 Mon 11-Dec-23 07:46:30

Dream ticket? Sounds more like a nightmare to me .What a combination. I bet there are many who would go for it,though. People like extremists after failed leaders, happens all the time.

Lovetopaint037 Mon 11-Dec-23 10:09:23

My panic subsided when I saw the article had been in the Mail. Do people actually read that rag for news or a laugh?