Gransnet forums

News & politics

So, There Goes Another Brexit Anniversary. Anything To Say, Boris?

(32 Posts)
mae13 Sun 04-Feb-24 12:35:17

Like, how about explaining just where the much vaunted "Oven-Ready-Deal" went askew? I think you should be, at the very least, hauled before a parliamentary committee and called to account. But it'll never happen. You are like a clumsy child who breaks other kiddies toys and then runs away.......

Dinahmo Sun 04-Feb-24 15:45:32

And pigs might fly. There's no way he, or any of the others, are going to apologise.

Wheniwasyourage Sun 04-Feb-24 15:52:00

Course not - they are still maintaining that it has been a success! Yes, Dinahmo, that is indeed a fleet of pigs flying past...

Grantanow Thu 08-Feb-24 10:54:14

It is rumoured that Sunak is to bring the Buffoon back as a Cabinet member. Presumably as Lord Buffoon of Brexit Parva.

Wheniwasyourage Thu 08-Feb-24 14:23:11

If you didn’t laugh, you’d cry…

Lovetopaint037 Mon 12-Feb-24 01:45:12

So what does that say about Rishi Sunak? If that is anyway true then something is very wrong.

nanna8 Mon 12-Feb-24 03:44:44

Another rumour we hear is that Nigel Garage oops Farage is going to stand for PM. Ohhh. With his mate Donald heading up the USA what could possibly go wrong ?

Whitewavemark2 Mon 12-Feb-24 07:54:02

Is it true that Sunak is rumoured to be asking Johnson back?

Blimey - this is going through the bins stuff.

Chocolatelovinggran Mon 12-Feb-24 08:19:12

Oh my, nanna8 - Trump and Farage ... what's the opposite of a Dream Team: a Nightmare Team?

Dickens Mon 12-Feb-24 09:33:46

Grantanow

It is rumoured that Sunak is to bring the Buffoon back as a Cabinet member. Presumably as Lord Buffoon of Brexit Parva.

Surely Johnson's had his day?

His appeal to the voter was in getting Brexit "done". That was his battle-cry, and his Ace card.

Now that Brexit is done (chuckle) - what would be his appeal to the voter? In a Cabinet role, he would not be able to be Top Dog, which is his raison d'être - how would this move improve the fortunes of the Tory party?

MaizieD Mon 12-Feb-24 09:34:42

nanna8

Another rumour we hear is that Nigel Garage oops Farage is going to stand for PM. Ohhh. With his mate Donald heading up the USA what could possibly go wrong ?

Just how is he going to manage that, nanna8?

The PM isn't a separately elected position.

To be PM he would need to be an MP and the leader of the party with a majority of seats in the House of Commons. As neither of the of the parties he might be associated with are going to get a majority at the next GE, and Farage isn't an MP (despite trying and failing 7 times) his chance to become PM. is about as likely as yours or mine...

MaizieD Mon 12-Feb-24 09:38:27

Whitewavemark2

Is it true that Sunak is rumoured to be asking Johnson back?

Blimey - this is going through the bins stuff.

I think the tory party's advisors/strategists have completely lost touch with reality.

I do wish they'd just call a GE now and put us all out of our misery.

flappergirl Mon 12-Feb-24 10:09:03

I think you might all be under estimating how incredibly popular Johnson still is. He is a god like figure to many (mostly older working class) voters. This demographic still believes that Brexit saved us from the clutches of "Johnny Foreigner" and that Britain will rise independently to its rightful place on the world stage.

They also believe that Johnson understands them and is "one of them".

MissAdventure Mon 12-Feb-24 10:19:16

Non of my older, working class friends feel that way, I can assure you.
Perhaps we are an unusual lot around these parts

MissAdventure Mon 12-Feb-24 10:33:13

None, not non.
I've lost the ability to spell.

Dickens Mon 12-Feb-24 11:05:06

MissAdventure

Non of my older, working class friends feel that way, I can assure you.
Perhaps we are an unusual lot around these parts

My white working-class gardener (though I think of him as a professional because he's extremely knowledgeable) holds Johnson in utter contempt - but told me that his father hero-worships him.

I also have a white-van-man ex neighbour who's staunchly Green politically.

It's a mixed bag. But he did have a hug 'red-wall' cohort of admirers.

Whitewavemark2 Mon 12-Feb-24 11:15:34

What cabinet post will he be given?

It has got to be one where he can easily milk the tax payers purse.

HousePlantQueen Mon 12-Feb-24 12:00:07

But are these stories true, or planted as a distraction from the reality of the mess we are in? Anyone with any knowledge at all is aware that we do not elect a PM in this country; they have to be an MP. We are definitely in the dying days and it is time this sorry administration was put out of our misery.

Dickens Mon 12-Feb-24 13:22:33

HousePlantQueen

But are these stories true, or planted as a distraction from the reality of the mess we are in? Anyone with any knowledge at all is aware that we do not elect a PM in this country; they have to be an MP. We are definitely in the dying days and it is time this sorry administration was put out of our misery.

It seems Kwasi Kwarteng - who's standing down at the next general election - believes he (Johnson) is an "electoral force" and that as the Party is some 20 points down, they need this force to stand any chance of winning.

He's 'recommended' that Sunak swallows his pride and invites Johnson back in.

I shall refrain from giving an opinion.

HousePlantQueen Mon 12-Feb-24 13:32:59

Cripes. Mind you, Kwarteng's paymaster is Crispin Oadey, a man who made millions from gambling on financial disasters.

Urmstongran Mon 12-Feb-24 14:40:25

Boris is a busted flush.
He failed to take advantage of Brexit and pursued policies of high immigration and Net Zero.
Nobody believes anything he says.

Glorianny Mon 12-Feb-24 14:43:47

I have a friend who thinks Boris was set up and took the blame for everything. She'd vote for him again.

HousePlantQueen Mon 12-Feb-24 15:03:12

Urmstongran

Boris is a busted flush.
He failed to take advantage of Brexit and pursued policies of high immigration and Net Zero.
Nobody believes anything he says.

Many of us never believed anything he said anyway, populist policies at their worst. Rather like Brexit.

Dickens Mon 12-Feb-24 19:32:07

I believe Boris Johnson got carried away by all the initial hype surrounding his premiership and the adrenalin-inducing drama of getting Brexit done. Somewhere in the distance of his brain I think he saw himself going down in history as a sort of Churchillian figure presiding over an historic moment in British history.

... as opposed to being wholly committed to Brexit for its own sake.

Not for him the burning of the midnight-oil pondering over the minute details of a complex, far-reaching constitutional change - allegedly anything more than two sheets of A4 would challenge his attention span. He wanted to be the focus of public attention as he made his way round the country grinning, gurning and ruffling his hair, charming the elderly and firing-up white van man, and all in between!

Those who actually knew him, worked with him, employed him previously - they knew. They knew that he was all fur coat and no knickers. So to speak.

However, if you're a Boris-believer, it's a commitment - and for quite a few, it's for life. So some Tories, in desperation at the prospects for the Party come election time are casting around desperately looking for something or someone to reverse their flagging popularity.

Kwarteng (a Boris-believer) sensing the writing on the wall is going to bog off, and he's already making thousands of £s elsewhere - from media appearances and is about to become an advisor to an Australian mining company. His parting gift to the Party is to recommend Mr Brexit be taken backinto th fold. Byeee - thanks for crashing the Pound by the way!

MaizieD Mon 12-Feb-24 22:35:37

Johnson is currently banned from being anywhere on the Parliamentary estate. I'm not sure how Sunak would get round that.

Just ignore it and add a fresh occurrence of tory subversion of parliamentary rules to the list of those they've already carried out? hmm

Nice post, Dickens, BTW