Gransnet forums

News & politics

Aid for Gaza

(191 Posts)
Caleo Fri 09-Feb-24 11:51:48

Is there a logistical reason food and drink could not be supplied by Allied aeroplanes and parachutes dropping these by airlift to Gaza?

Smileless2012 Fri 09-Feb-24 12:02:11

I can't think of one Caleo but if it's possible, why hasn't it been done already?

Glorianny Fri 09-Feb-24 12:09:42

Israel controls all access to Gaza including the airspace.
It is highly unlikely to allow flights.
This is from an Israeli source
www.btselem.org/gaza_strip/control_on_air_space_and_territorial_waters

Whitewavemark2 Fri 09-Feb-24 12:13:13

Israel has always controlled air, land and sea space for the entire time Gaza has been in existence, which is why the Palestinians are unable to grow their economy to the extent that is possible.

Israel, has a source of cheap labour on its doorstep. Very handy.

Callistemon21 Fri 09-Feb-24 13:00:42

I can think of many reasons why not.

Is there a reason why the border between Egypt and Gaza cannot allow food and medical supplies through? The trucks could be checked for weapons.

Whitewavemark2 Fri 09-Feb-24 13:35:11

Netanyahu said in his speech on Tuesday? that he would continue to restrict aid, because he claimed that most of it is going to Hamas - he didn’t provide evidence for this statement.

Imarocker Fri 09-Feb-24 13:39:13

Most of the aid that goes into Gaza - however it goes in - is seized by Hamas.

Whitewavemark2 Fri 09-Feb-24 13:40:11

Imarocker

Most of the aid that goes into Gaza - however it goes in - is seized by Hamas.

How do you know?

Marmin Fri 09-Feb-24 13:42:34

Quite.

GrannyGravy13 Fri 09-Feb-24 13:43:03

There was a lady on ITV breakfast news who had just returned from Gaza after being there in her role as a midwife.

Every piece of equipment or drug they wanted had to be applied for to the Health Department which is run and operated by Hamas for these items to be released from a warehouse…

Glorianny Fri 09-Feb-24 13:56:17

Callistemon21

I can think of many reasons why not.

Is there a reason why the border between Egypt and Gaza cannot allow food and medical supplies through? The trucks could be checked for weapons.

Because Israel has to approve anything passing through the Rafah crossing. Egypt cannot allow anything in without their agreement. Israel has had Gaza in total lock down and control for years. No one and nothing in or out without their approval. That's why the tunnels were built.

Glorianny Fri 09-Feb-24 13:57:34

GrannyGravy13

There was a lady on ITV breakfast news who had just returned from Gaza after being there in her role as a midwife.

Every piece of equipment or drug they wanted had to be applied for to the Health Department which is run and operated by Hamas for these items to be released from a warehouse…

Of course Hamas were in control they are the only government there. The only administrative body operating. What do you want total anarchy?

Dickens Fri 09-Feb-24 14:05:13

I do wonder how far you can go with this policy. I understand the need to destroy Hamas - but how many civilians, especially children, do you blow to smithereens in order to hit one Hamas militant before the 'collateral' damage becomes unsupportable?

Of course Hamas control the aid, but some of it gets to the civilians. It's a terrible, terrible situation.

theconversation.com/gaza-war-how-representative-is-hamas-of-ordinary-palestinians-218080

An interesting look at the support for Hamas - or lack of it - among Palestinians. It mentions that the average age of people in Gaza is about 18... since there have been no elections since 2006, it means that most people have not had the chance to vote for any other leadership.

Glorianny Fri 09-Feb-24 14:11:21

For a real account of what it has been like this nurse from "Doctors without Borders" describes her experiences and how it was the people in Gaza who helped and protected her . edition.cnn.com/videos/world/2023/11/08/american-nurse-gaza-emily-cali-callahan-intv-ac360-vpx.cnn

Caleo Fri 09-Feb-24 14:21:30

Callistemon, I expected you to be more explicit. I really don't know any logistical reason why not, except that at least one poster wrote that Israel controls air space. This, I give credence to although I wonder what 'control of airspace' actually is terme of actual aeroplanes and weapons.

petra Fri 09-Feb-24 14:36:38

It means what it says on the tin. You are not coming into my airspace.

Glorianny Fri 09-Feb-24 15:50:42

And if you do I will shoot you down or use the missiles I have to intercept and destroy you.

Whitewavemark2 Fri 09-Feb-24 15:57:49

GrannyGravy13

Yes, that is what you would expect.

Callistemon21 Fri 09-Feb-24 15:59:43

petra

It means what it says on the tin. You are not coming into my airspace.

Thanks petra!

I didn't think it needed elaboration

pascal30 Fri 09-Feb-24 16:12:00

Glorianny

For a real account of what it has been like this nurse from "Doctors without Borders" describes her experiences and how it was the people in Gaza who helped and protected her . edition.cnn.com/videos/world/2023/11/08/american-nurse-gaza-emily-cali-callahan-intv-ac360-vpx.cnn

This is so incredibly moving and eye-opening. Thankyou for posting Glorianny. What an amazing account of bravery and compassion

Dickens Fri 09-Feb-24 16:21:42

Glorianny

Thanks for posting that link. A different picture is painted, isn't it?

Following along the same lines, it's also worth noting that the Washington Institute (a pro-Israel think tank) conducted a poll in July 2033 which found that 62% of people in Gaza supported Hamas maintaining a ceasefire with Israel - and 50% of Palestinians agreed that "Hamas should stop calling for Israel's destruction and accept a permanent two-state solution based on the '67 borders."

Whitewavemark2 Sat 10-Feb-24 10:14:38

So, where are the Palestinians to go now that Netanyahu has threatened to reign down terror on Rafah?

There is nowhere left is there?

Apparently they are grinding down animal feed because they are so hungry.

merlotgran Sat 10-Feb-24 10:56:48

Whitewavemark2

Netanyahu said in his speech on Tuesday? that he would continue to restrict aid, because he claimed that most of it is going to Hamas - he didn’t provide evidence for this statement.

I wouldn’t really expect him to if it is classified information.

Glorianny Sat 10-Feb-24 10:59:59

How anyone can view what is happening as anything less than genocide I don't know?
It's time the UK made a stand and condemned this mistreatment of civilians. Palestinians moved south because Israel told them they would be safe there. They are not safe anywhere.

Glorianny Sat 10-Feb-24 11:09:11

This is a comprehensive assessment of the destruction of Gaza. No other conflict comes close to the levels inflicted on the Palestinian people. Even if the war ended today most have no home, no hospitals,and no schools to return to .
www.theguardian.com/world/2024/jan/08/the-numbers-that-reveal-the-extent-of-the-destruction-in-gaza
This was one month ago.